Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Here are some ideas grouped by relation to the parts of a computer. Hopefully this helps visualize the ideas.

Motherboards:

• chipset (comparison/explanation)
  • sockets/processor compatibility
  • BIOS (explanation)

Memory (I don't know much about this):

• DDR vs DDR2 vs DDR3
  • Timings (explanation)
  • Latency (explanation)
  • single vs dual vs tri vs quad channel

Processors:

• Socket Type/Compatibility
  • Architecture vs Clock Speed
  • Clock Speed, Multiplier, Cache (explanation)
  • Cores vs Threads

Graphics/Video Output:

• Integrated vs Dedicated (whats right for you?)
  • (Graphics Cards): Importance of Core Clock, Memory Clock, Amount of Memory and Architecture (Why some cards perform better with same specs.)
  • Graphics Card version comparison (ti, boost, superclocked, GHZ/boost/black(etc.) editions) - What should I get? What is the best value?
  • CUDA and OpenCL (explanations)
  • Frames per second vs frame times
  • Video display interfaces: pros and cons of each

Storage:

• SSD (what is it?) vs HDD
  • NAS and "The Cloud" (explanations)
  • Backing up your data (how to, best methods/practices)

Power Supply:

• Efficiency Ratings
  • How much power do I need? (power consumption explanation)
  • (Not sure if related) TDP of components. (explanation)
  • Cable types, "rails" and volts

Cooling (I think you have some of these):

• Fan types: Airflow vs Static Pressure
  • Fan specs: CFM, db ratings, rpm (explanations)
  • Watercooling overview: Radiator Types & Sizes, Tubing Types, Fittings, Liquids
  • Safe Operating Temperatures, Risk of overheating

Peripherals:

• Laser vs Optical Mice
  • dpi and "pointer speed in windows" , sensitivity
  • Mechanical vs Membrane keyboards
  • polling rate (explanation)

System Maintenance ("How do I make my computer faster?"):

• cleaning a system for dust, etc.
  • cable management
  • how to free up space on a full hard drive (removing old/unwanted data), disk defrag
  • System Protection: Anti-virus programs, Malicious Software types and risk

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

another vote for chipsets - I'm re-entering the PC scene from way back when AMD Athlons ruled the market. I just sold my Xeon CPU, and used the money to go from my LGA2011/X79 to Z87/LGA1150 - only to realize/learn how with Intel, newer isn't always better and that each chipset/socket had different strengths/weaknesses/aspects to them (for instance, my Titan SLi was much happier with the PCIe 3.0 16x/16x on X79). I wasted a whole weekend putting the system together on the Z87, just to take it apart and return it the next day

thankfully I didn't lose any money in the process, but it was a huge time waster. Intel chipset progression is a little hard to follow for new comers imo

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some ideas grouped by relation to the parts of a computer. Hopefully this helps visualize the ideas.

This is quite the list, video suggestions forever

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

• File Systems - NTFS, FAT, ZFS, EXT3/4 etc

DDR vs GDDR

Pardon my English. Not my native language.

Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell | ASRock B85M-ITX | Transcend 1GB DDR3-1333 | HEC Cougar SL 500W 80+ | Lian Li PC-Q03B ITX | SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB | OpenElec-XBMC

-Overclocking RAM (or at least getting it to it's advertised 1866/2000+) and timings and wth is CL9, etc.

-Ergonomics in sitting, elbow/wrist placement, back support, viewing angles

-Cable, dust, static, ground, and noise management

-Types of surfaces for different mice

-5.25" bay devices

-Other weird hardware

-Doing your own benchmarks

-APUs and CPUs

-Static pressure vs. Airflow, negative vs. positive pressure

-Unconventional fan placements

Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Naga 2012 - Naga - Tiamat 2.2 - Electra - Nostromo - Manticor - Scarab - Mouse Bungee - Hoodie - Messenger Bag - Keyboard Bag - L33T Pack - Synapse - Comms - Game Booster 

I think it'd be useful to have a "redo" video on graphics card shopping (mostly to address the "2GB card > 1GB card" misconception for the general public)... I know it's obvious to us but my roommate was shopping for a new graphics card the other day and was basically looking at how much memory each card has.  I advised him of the truth but I don't think it got through to him.  When we got back he asked me how many gigs my card had.  I know there's an NCIX video on it but to be honest it's kind of useless to anyone who doesn't already know what you're talking about, there's so much tech jargon in it I think it goes completely over the heads of people who aren't tech-savvy enough to know not to judge graphics cards by their VRAM.

Exactly the same! +1

how to choose between 32 bit and 64 bit....just asking for myself but may help others also...

It's Simple go for 64 bits if you can, a 32 bit OS will block your RAM at 3GB (2^32 bits), with a 64 bit OS, your memory limit is set to 2^64 bits (theoretically). Even though this should work like this, modern 64 bit OSs are limited to around 192 GB in some cases or 16GB or [insert random number]GB, depending if you buy the Pro/Home/Server/whatever version of an OS.

On top of this limitation, having 64 bits will allow you processor to work arround 2x a 32bit one.

If your PC can handle 64bit, go for it.

why a $120 card like this 7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121642R with 2gb of ram and core clock at 1ghz is worse than this gtx 680, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121634 even though they both have 2 gigs of ram and share similar clock speeds, and the 7770 is 4 times cheaper.

+1

Cable management tips and tricks. 

+1

Things to looks for in fans.

- Noise levels

- CFM

- RPM

M3/H

Or even positive and negative pressure.  :)

Im actually really interested in this one ^^

Please make a video comparing Mac to Windows using Adobe software. I would like to know if there is an advantage with a Pc or a Mac with similar hardware. Something like a lenovo y500 vs a new macbook. 

Its simple, Photoshop does not work in Win8...

Mobile Graphics Compared to Desktop graphics

660m vs 660

Very interesting, m versions do about a 40-60% of a non-m version according to http://gpuboss.com

How to buy and apply thermal paste for CPU's and GPU's

Although there is no techquickie, there is a NCIX video about it already:

Sorry about long post! I just multi quoted many things ^^

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Hyper threading as fast as possible.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

As some others have said, overclocking your graphics card.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

As some others have said, overclocking your graphics card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA_l5-HDel4

This guide is still pretty useful imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hardware limitations, because i don't think most console gamers understand what those are.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

What PWM is in relation to fans, and how it differs from 3pin molex.

<p>CPU: i7-950, Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, RAM: 6GB XMS3, GPU: EVGA 670 2GB HDD: 320GB Seagate, 1TB Caviar Green, Case: Arc Midi R2, PSU: AX760i

how to decide which linux distro to go with

I like RHEL (Fedora) but that is because I work alot with Oracle.

WHS...

RAID or WHS Disk Management

how are they different

Cherry vs Alps

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Power Supply Guide

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Hardware Raid vs ZFS (or any other software raid)

NAS solutions: Proprietary vs Opensourse (eg. Drobo vs freenas)

Streaming media players, (eg. xbox vs roku / apple tv) (which  file types such as mkv/mp4/iso/folder structures/ can be played)

Response time: Black to White vs. Gray to Gray

Display port vs Hdmi (resolution/color depth/ general features)

How to make your own cat 5/6/F cables

Wifi AC vs N

Wifi 2.4 Ghz vs 5 Ghz

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Please Please Please do one about cores vs threads. Whats the difference and how it effects performance. People need to know their 8 core AMD might not be as fast as a quad core i7 just because it has more cores, although I have trouble explaining it because its a strange concept.

Please do something along the lines of this little piece of text I wrote on Reddit a while ago.

People just don't seem to get the point of SSD's and keep building $1200+ systems without an SSD.

Comparing price per GB on a SSD and a HDD is not the way to do it, an SSD is not about storage, it's about speed. While an HDD will hold files, and serve them to you an SSD will increase performance. It's not like spending more to have better storage, it's spending more to have better performance on your PC. Like that HD7970: onboard video chips or APU's will put pictures on your screen, but you choose to spend just over $300 to increase performance there, so why not spending $100 eliminate the last bottleneck in your system? You can have the best build ever, 32GB ram, best CPU, GTX Titan and overclocked to the max, but everytime your system is waiting for the harddrive to get stuff al that pretty hardware is there sitting idle waiting for the HDD.

Alot of people look at it as fancy storage, while it's not.

Can you compare network connections (wireless, ethernet and those wall plug things)

LINUS_................I see I can't start threads and I don't see a topic on the 9/19 WAN show................... the problems with your ISP "throttling" your connection.............. you did say prior to that show how good an idea it would be for Verizon to be able to muscle in on someone else's territory......... maybe retalliation?  Did you get the problemn solved? I've been having problems with streaming your video for quite a long time and can't watch it in windowed mode only full screen. negates being able to read/listen to two sites at once. Annoying.  ( east coast U.S. ) Sorry for the off topic all.