Nintendo to release games for smartphones

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-will-be-releasing-free-mini-games-on-1510204063?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

According to an unconfirmed Nikkei report, Nintendo plans to release trailers for new games on smartphones (presumably Android and iOS) as well as "free mini-games." Until now, Nintendo hasn't made any gaming content available on smartphones.

Note that the Nikkei does not use the Japanese word for "demo," which is either "taikenban" (体験版) or "demo" (デモ). It explicitly states "muryou no mini geemu" (無料のミニゲーム) or "free mini-game." Nikkei reports that the idea is that if players enjoy the mini-games, they can purchase the actual software for their Nintendo hardware. That sounds awfully like a demo!

Nintendo will apparently make a wide swath of information about its games available via smartphones—such as introducing the game's story and characters as well as the release date and price.

Nintendo is expected to announce this plan later this week, Nikkei adds.

It mainly seems like they'll be releasing "mini games", aka demos for smartphones, but I'm a bit more interested in this sentence: Nintendo plans to release trailers for new games on smartphones (presumably Android and iOS) as well as "free mini-games."

This statement implies that actual Nintendo games are coming to smartphones, along with demos, essentially.

ANYWAYS, the point of these "mini games" (demos) is for people to try out that game and then buy the actual game for Nintendo hardware. Not a bad strategy at all, and will probably widen Nintendo's audience.

Nintendo, you made the right move here, and implemented it in a very smart way. I applaud you. Nintendo is expected to announce this later this week.

(Oh, and those "mini games" will be free downloads.)

COMIC SANS

Sweet...

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

and that's how you know nintendo is on the last straw

They really just need to make their own smartphone based DS or some shit. they'd make SO much money from it.

would love to see old pokemon games coming to android, without having to use an emulator

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

They really just need to make their own smartphone based DS or some shit. they'd make SO much money from it.

Noooooooo, we've seen attempts of this before and it has never turned out well!

Noooooooo, we've seen attempts of this before and it has never turned out well!

wut

Once they thought about releasing a phone I knew this was comming.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

being an exclusive on an open platform is retarded

Pretty much. All the 8 year old kids these days play CoD on xbox.

and yourself...?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

hmmm hopefully we can get some story going in the demos and how about the ability to sync progress 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

I respect what they do but Nintendo is far too traditional to survive in todays market

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

I respect what they do but Nintendo is far too traditional to survive in todays market

Yet they lucked out with the Wii and the DS and to a lesser degree the 3DS.

The only problem of them being traditional is taking too long to cash out and not focus on hardware which is far too expensive for them to continue to support and frankly takes away from their explosive potential should they choose to focus on Software more.

But with the money they made from the Wii they're quite sustainable for a good while even if the Wii U is failing so much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

i would love to see some of their older titles ported over to smartphones from The Classics to N64/gamecube their top sellers its not like they can lose with that

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

i would love to see some of their older titles ported over to smartphones from The Classics to N64/gamecube their top sellers its not like they can lose with that

Judging from the emulation efforts on android already I say hell yeah. We now even have a couple of controllers for phones which come just sort of advertising as "You know this would be GREAT for those emulators you have on your phone!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

For some reason this seems to ruin my nostalgia because it makes every thing they do try to just be mainstream rather than stick out.

If they release new Pokemon games for mobile... I will be extremely interested.

They definitely talked about this before. It's going to be learning stuff using their characters then u can use points from those on games on console and well trailers are trailer tou can get them on youtube thell probably just make it easier to see them like in the nintendo shop.

So yea when they say mini they mean like very mini. Like im imagineing a single mini game from mario party each.