How to Not SMASH a PC

nicklmg
1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

How to Not SMASH a PC

Just don't give it to Linus.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I like the look of that set

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Basically how to make your PC linus-proof, great!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Last time I moved my desktop, I put it in the back of a car, and just drove it to wherever I needed to go....
I had it laying on its side (motherboard side down), and the back pointed towards the front of the car.

Since most vibrations in a car is vertical, then this isn't going to effect the components all that much when it lays motherboard side down.
And any more rapid de-accelerations will push everything towards the back, something that generally isn't much of a problem. Except if one has a tower cooler or similar.

And the only sideways forces the case will be exposed to is when one takes a curve, and since one generally isn't driving around on a race track, then this isn't exposing components to all that much force. (Likely less then 1G.) Unless one gets hit by another car, but then one likely has more important things to worry about...

Though, protecting the internal components a bit more might not be a bad idea.

I should probably take a bit more time next time I move a PC and put in some more protection. After all, stuffing in a bit of closed cell soft foam isn't that hard...

I have a custom modded Apple G5 case.

My PSU literally is hold with zipties, from rails that are glued to the aluminum case.

I've dropped it, kicked it on its side, drove it 250 kms on some of the roughest roads imaginable and it's still okay. (just a bit bend from that kick ups).

If your drive dies from a simple point to point shipping within your case after proper protection, you must own Seagate drives...

Why else would Linus put it on display and start crying when a simple box of packing materials dumps it over so softly. All my drives that have dropped have been dropped from a nice height nothing bad has ever happened(less one IDE drive that finally died after years of on time), no seagates tho, they kept dying on me before I could drop them. Also I don't buy drives online less external ones to shuck and only done so after a 72+ hour drive test to ensure no errors on bit level.

Also Linus forgot to mention a few things... 2 of which are very important.

1: Shipping out from canada will kill you

2: GET Insurance! So when someone does a Linus drop at least you'll get most of your money back.

I think if I was serious about BYOC I'd invest in a separate rig, namely mini ITX, and not go bigger. Those can be made small enough to stuff inside a back pack easy with a keyboard and mouse so all you really have to carry in your hand is your monitor, something that can also be made easy with straps.

There is NO WAY I would ship a ATX desktop PC and certainly not a heavy one with custom water cooling installed. They are large to handle, you can never protect them well enough from drops and even with insurance you are screwed if you need it to work and it arrives damaged. Never mind the rip off cost of shipping getting it back home.

If your gaming needs don't go above 1080P it's possible even a high-end NUC could fill the role, although I cannot think of one that comes to mind right now.

Maybe a SLI laptop could work too for those with deep pockets, but I would add a laptop cooler in the bundle as well as a good security lock or lojack.

9 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

If your drive dies from a simple point to point shipping within your case after proper protection, you must own Seagate drives...

(...)

You just need to make sure the drives parked heads. There are better and worse models from any company, Seagate being historically the most likely to fail, but that's mostly unrelated to transportation. In your own car, you can make sure nothing is moving, and everything is positioned well  @Nystemy described good practices. With shipping... that's when I'd get a backup and insurance. I worked at computer shop for some time and some of the sent back machines looked as if a truck drove over them, whatever happened, foam didn't help it.

11 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

how not to DROP a PC

LTT should make a floating PC (wireless in air)

@Loote

Yes, generally speaking, one just needs to take case orientation into mind if moving it oneself. (Tower coolers are though in need of a bit more protection, mostly for the motherboard's safety.)
If shipping with a carrier, it is though usually a different story, and more care should generally be taken.

I personally would go the "extra" mile of removing things like GPUs, and large CPU coolers. (reapplying cooling paste is easier and cheaper then replacing a motherboard...)

Though, if the CPU cooler is screwed in from the back, then some hard foam is not a bad idea to surround it with. (Or do oneself a favor and replace the cooler with something that screws in from the front. Or go for a closed loop liquid cooler.)

On 7/2/2019 at 2:24 AM, Loote said:

There are better and worse models from any company

That said any WD blues (over 1tb aka 5400 RPM models) or greens should be left at home because they downright suck. Tho oddly I do have one green somehow still running, everything else is either dead failing or corrupted data. (less one 6tb blue shucked but it causes issues with video playback).

Is it ok if I just fully disassemble mine? Then just check in the parts? 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

• 6 months later...

If I'm going with the option of leaving all components plugged in (cooler+GPU) and stuffing the case with packing material are there specific types of foam that I should stay away from or favour in order to avoid damage by static electricity generated while inserting and removing said packing materials? Also, would wrapping foam in packing tape make it more prone to generating dangerous static electricity? Similar to: