Automatically shorten Quotes?

r2724r16
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,
14 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

@colonel_mortis any thoughts? Is this suggestion possible to implement?

It's been a while since I made this thread but I haven't gotten a reply from you.

I'm aware of this, and have been keeping an eye on it (in fact, I had the topic open when you posted this), but I don't really have much to say at the moment.

It would be nice, as would a bunch of other things, and I need to sit down and plan what work I will do on the forum over the next few months before I can say whether it is likely to appear or not. Rest assured though that I would like to do it, and am keeping an eye on this topic.

I want long quotes to be shortened automatically so they don't waste a lot of space on threads. And you should be able to expand the quote by clicking "click to expand" (or something similar).

Because a lot of newbies forget to <snip> which is kind of annoying.

Sort of like this: 

0AFB7ED1-EC13-4B45-AA72-6E0AFCCD0042.thumb.jpeg.1a3b4446f6ac5314c1e7e503a89010fb.jpeg

Any thoughts or ideas? @colonel_mortis?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

This subject has been brought up a couple of times and I'm certain Mortis has it on his radar for a while already.

It's indeed troublesome how some users may quote gigantic replies creating visual clutter, sometimes you have threads like Goodbyte's inside view of a new Windows 10 version which is a really long detailed OP and people hit that quote on its entirety causing a page to have like 3 replies on it total haha... good thing on such extreme cases you do can report the reply and kindly ask for a mod to -snip- it even though that's far from a solution.

If we do have a way to automatically spoiler quotes that surpasses a predefined number of lines that's be a neat solution to the issue and people who either snip or only quote specific smaller parts of a reply won't even notice any changes.

I'm all for solutions such as this however we know anything that involves rewriting the html coding aren't easy to see in action any time soon.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'd do something like auto replace quotes with a mention to the original poster, if the post quotes the message right above  (don't quote previous message, but mention original author to be notified if needed)

For big quotes with lots of images, maybe auto convert images in quotes to 128px or 250px "thumbnails"

Not to sound like an ass, but I feel like this feature would be more useful for people without forum etiquette; If you're referencing a long post, you segment it up for a clearer reply, and less 'wall'o'repetition'. Or, if you're only referencing one part, you trim out irrelevant text, which is common sense.

That said, having this as a feature wouldn't be detrimental in any case, so i'd be for it.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

52 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Not to sound like an ass, but I feel like this feature would be more useful for people without forum etiquette

Keep in mind though, doing this on mobile is more difficult, but more importantly, mobile shrinks some things down.

A large screenshot on desktop could be quite a manageable size on mobile, since the screenshot can only be at max the width of the device you're using.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@Minibois That's true, I hadn't considered the mobile angle :) I tend to only surf forums at my desk, but this is a personal preference of course. 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

I would prefer quotes being hidden by default on mobile, and if there was setting for that, even better. Hiding more than 3 lines can still take quite much space.

3 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Not to sound like an ass, but I feel like this feature would be more useful for people without forum etiquette; If you're referencing a long post, you segment it up for a clearer reply, and less 'wall'o'repetition'. Or, if you're only referencing one part, you trim out irrelevant text, which is common sense.

You mean that this is feature for dealing with those kind of people.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I guess the solution is for people to use spoilers

Spoiler

Because they're just a quote that's closed by default

Easy in practice, hard once someone's already made the thread...

14 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Because they're just a quote that's closed by default

Easy in practice, hard once someone's already made the thread...

Reminds me of an old game where you're introduced to mimics by having two open chests and a closed one on the dungeon map.

On topic: I wouldn't mind a quote the trims itself, but maybe we should have quotes automatically be blank unless they're on a separate page?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

14 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You mean that this is feature for dealing with those kind of people.

I mean I'm not going to say no :P 

I'm sure everyone has been pissed off at someone quoting a crap-ton of images from the post directly above theirs, for example.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

If possible, make it a per user option in the preferences. 

snipping is offensive ...... thats like i'm to retard to either quote a selection or name the person in your message .. I do like the autoadjust suggestion

On 6/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, Princess Luna said:

This subject has been brought up a couple of times and I'm certain Mortis has it on his radar for a while already.

It's indeed troublesome how some users may quote gigantic replies creating visual clutter, sometimes you have threads like Goodbyte's inside view of a new Windows 10 version which is a really long detailed OP and people hit that quote on its entirety causing a page to have like 3 replies on it total haha... good thing on such extreme cases you do can report the reply and kindly ask for a mod to -snip- it even though that's far from a solution.

If we do have a way to automatically spoiler quotes that surpasses a predefined number of lines that's be a neat solution to the issue and people who either snip or only quote specific smaller parts of a reply won't even notice any changes.

I'm all for solutions such as this however we know anything that involves rewriting the html coding aren't easy to see in action any time soon.

i agree its so annoying when people dont "snip" 

6 hours ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

i agree its so annoying when people dont "snip" 

Sort of like what YOU just did? xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

It's been a while since I made this thread but I haven't gotten a reply from you.

14 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

I'm aware of this, and have been keeping an eye on it (in fact, I had the topic open when you posted this), but I don't really have much to say at the moment.

It would be nice, as would a bunch of other things, and I need to sit down and plan what work I will do on the forum over the next few months before I can say whether it is likely to appear or not. Rest assured though that I would like to do it, and am keeping an eye on this topic.

HTTP/2 203

• 1 year later...

@colonel_mortis it's been over a year since I made this post, and I was wondering if there are any plans for implementing the suggestion in my original post.

51 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

@colonel_mortis it's been over a year since I made this post, and I was wondering if there are any plans for implementing the suggestion in my original post.

Yes! It's coming in the next update (some time this year).

HTTP/2 203