The Snapdragon 8cx Benchmarked: A Worthy Challenger?

13 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Comparing a 2 year old Intel CPU to a brand new ARM CPU on different versions of Windows 10, in Microsoft Office and Edge.

ok

You really think Intel newest CPUs is that much different?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You really think Intel newest CPUs is that much different?

Probably not but how about something other than Office and Edge?

4 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Probably not but how about something other than Office and Edge?

'cause the users of such device would not use anything else? (Well web browser might be different, but they used what is officially released).

10 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

We had that in the past with the ARM Surface lineup...and look at how that turned out. Android is still dominant (even though it  ran worse than 8/8.1RT on equivalent hardware) and Microsoft is once again doing another fresh attempt at breaking into the ARM device market.

hopefully the implementation is better. I have been tempted to buy the HP ARM windows tablet. (although an Ipad Pro might actually be a better value for my use case)

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

humm humm

would still pick an iPad if i ever considered a tablet/low power device over Windows on ARM, at least anything that gets thrown on the iPad will run decently, always.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

humm humm

would still pick an iPad if i ever considered a tablet/low power device over Windows on ARM, at least anything that gets thrown on the iPad will run decently, always.

Except there are issues of practicality and cost. As in you still need a dedicated keyboard to properly use for instance Office Suite. And even more important, this is probably aimed at low end budget models. Which the iPad is everything except that. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Except there are issues of practicality and cost. As in you still need a dedicated keyboard to properly use for instance Office Suite. And even more important, this is probably aimed at low end budget models. Which the iPad is everything except that. 

>looks current line of WoA devices

>all priced 800 and above

>looks iPad

>starting at 300

>throw 200 for keyboard and pen

>still spending less than lowest priced WoA device

You what now?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

>looks iPad

>starting at 300

You what now?

I thought you said Pro. My bad on that part. However I'd still say depends where you are. Cheapest iPad here is 400 euros. That's the 9.7'' model with 2GB of RAM. As someone how has the Air 2 I wouldn't say everything will run decently that you throw at it (MS OFfice compatibility for starters). The next cheapest is the Mini which goes for 540 euros.  Keyboard and pen another 250 euros. If these WoA devices are priced low, I don't see Apple as viable option. To be honest I don't see them at all in this segment but that's me. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I thought you said Pro. My bad on that part. However I'd still say depends where you are. Cheapest iPad here is 400 euros. That's the 9.7'' model with 2GB of RAM. As someone how has the Air 2 I wouldn't say everything will run decently that you throw at it (MS OFfice compatibility for starters). The next cheapest is the Mini which goes for 540 euros.  Keyboard and pen another 250 euros. If these WoA devices are priced low, I don't see Apple as viable option. To be honest I don't see them at all in this segment but that's me. 

Air 2 is 5 years old now...

kinda of an unfair comparison

As far as past event can tell, they don't seem to be targeting the low end space. At least not as long as Snapdragon's fastest, and biggest chip is the only option.

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Air 2 is 5 years old now...

kinda of an unfair comparison

Unfair to a degree imo. SoC is different absolutely (the cheapest iPad uses 2 year old SoC though. still a great chip but not really new either), but everything else is almost identical. Both have 2GB of RAM which under heavier usage shows it's teeth, screen (not that it matters but the camera as well, shows how much they hadn't really update the device). 

They might not, I mean, they are saying it's competing against 8250U, but I don't believe that in the slightest. As far as the price goes, I think it will go cheaper, but then again you might be right not that I look at the full picture. 

10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

>looks iPad

>starting at 300

You what now?

Um......I don't think Apple is ever putting Windows on any of their devices.

And even if we do get something like an A-series "iBook Pro" with iOS in tablet mode and OS X Mojave in laptop mode it's gonna be priced at least $750 and probably up to $1500 (knowing Apple).

Even then we likely won't hear news about it until next year or the year after in 2021.

11 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

humm humm

For an almost pure utility device, I'd probably still go for some Atom tablet. X86 compatibility and ability to easily move files around to and from other devices has saved me many a headache that would otherwise require me to wait until I get to my desktop at home.

Editing raw images on my phone, for example, requires an intermediary device (owing to lack of sd slot in the phone) to transfer files over as the camera only transfers .jpeg over wifi.

Ps: I should stop being a cheapskate and buy a memory card reader with otg compatibility.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…