What Distro would you recommend for me?

So I'm a newcomer to Linux but it seems pretty interesting. Main thing I want to know is:

What distros exist for beginners that are simplistic/minimalistic?

1. for beginners
  2. minimalistic

Pick one :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

So I'm a newcomer to Linux but it seems pretty interesting. Main thing I want to know is:

Linux Mint is very windows-like, which is a plus.

It's based on debian, which to me, is easy to get under the hood if you need to.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Elementary os. Is ubuntu based so any turtorial or documentation for ubuntu works on it. It also looks similar to mac osx so it looks quite minimalistic.

Linux Mint is very easy to get started with

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

11 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Slackware and Void.

Write in C.

3 minutes ago, Lagercat1 said:

Linux Mint is very easy to get started with

That was not the question.

Write in C.

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:
  1. for beginners
  2. minimalistic

Pick one :P

I'd probably prefer minimalistic. I'm fine if there's a bit of a learning curve as it's a nice little challenge.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Elementary os. Is ubuntu based so any turtorial or documentation for ubuntu works on it. It also looks similar to mac osx so it looks quite minimalistic.

Looks really nice! I'll definitely check it out

Also, is there any way you could hide the names of shortcuts if they're on your desktop?

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

I'd probably prefer minimalistic.

Still, Slackware and Void.

Write in C.

5 minutes ago, Sychic said:

I'd probably prefer minimalistic. I'm fine if there's a bit of a learning curve as it's a nice little challenge.

Looks really nice! I'll definitely check it out

Also, is there any way you could hide the names of shortcuts if they're on your desktop?

There is probably a correct way to do this but I just delete the text in them :p.

6 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Still, Slackware and Void.

They look okay but elementary os looks a lot better imo

If all you care about is the look: elementary's desktop theme is portable. You are not restricted to using elementary OS if you want your desktop to look like it.

Write in C.

31 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Then I recommend Arch Linux

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

looks good. I'll definitely have to look into that one more

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

Oh boy I laughed hard at this.

Buckle up @Sychic cause if you choose Arch you're in for a hell of a ride hahahahha

38 minutes ago, Den15 said:

Oh boy I laughed hard at this.

Buckle up @Sychic cause if you choose Arch you're in for a hell of a ride hahahahha

Eh, it's not that hard if you're motivated - gentoo or crux would be more daunting for a beginner. Arch is actually a pretty smooth experience if you read the documentation.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Except that it uses systemd and it uses bleeding edge software which is pretty much alpha-quality. I understand that some Arch users consider their system to be superior to any other system for good or less good reasons, but please just stop that. One size does not fit all.

Write in C.

29 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

it uses bleeding edge software which is pretty much alpha-quality.

Sorry but this is just false. Arch repositories are updated very quickly following upstream, but they always follow the stable branch and the idea that Arch is prone to breaking upon updating is simply a myth nowadays.

Except that it uses systemd

So what?

One size does not fit all.

OP specifically asked for a minimal system and said they aren't afraid of a learning curve. I believe Arch is the perfect distro to satisfy those criteria. One size does not fit all but it fits perfectly in this case.

some Arch users consider their system to be superior to any other system

I never said that nor do I believe it. I just think it's a good fit for what OP asked. If you have a different opinion feel free to share it but avoid spreading myths or antagonizing without offering an alternative.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Arch is not minimal as systemd is relatively large and complex. I already offered more than one alternative...

I haven't tried Arch in a while, admittedly. I might update some of my views some day.

Write in C.

Thanks to all of y'all for responding but I'm going to first try out elementary OS in a VM. maybe I'll look into the other kinds more

12 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Arch is not minimal as systemd is relatively large and complex.

By that logic the Linux kernel itself isn't minimal. Void and Slackware might be marginally less complex but to an end user the difference is unnoticeable - and if we're playing the minimalism at all costs game I could say you should use crux instead.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

By that logic the Linux kernel itself isn't minimal.

I guess what the OP needed was userland minimalism, not kernel minimalism. You won't get that with Linux anyway.

Then again:

12 hours ago, Sychic said:

I'm going to first try out elementary OS

I really wonder why I even tried reasoning in this thread as the original question was not relevant for the solution ...

Write in C.

46 minutes ago, Sauron said:

By that logic the Linux kernel itself isn't minimal. Void and Slackware might be marginally less complex but to an end user the difference is unnoticeable - and if we're playing the minimalism at all costs game I could say you should use crux instead.

44 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

I guess what the OP needed was userland minimalism, not kernel minimalism. You won't get that with Linux anyway.

I'll try to clarify what I was asking. I wanted a minimalistic front end experience. I couldn't care less about the kernel since I'm not that much of a nerd. Hopefully that'll clear it up