AMD confirm Navi will launch Q3

Master Disaster

At there latest earnings call AMD have confirmed small Navi (aka Navi 12) will launch Q3 2019. 

So AMD has just officially confirmed Navi GPU launching in Q3 2019 (something we have exclusively talked about before) during their earnings call. The Navi GPU is the anxiously anticipated successor to the Vega architecture and has been in the pipeline for quite a few years now. The most likely event for a Q3 launch is Gamescom 2019 from 21 to 24 August (caution: this is just an educated guess, not a sourced comment).

This fits with previous rumours and speculation that Navi would launch around a month after Zen 2 somewhere in July/August.

Wccftech

If you remember the exclusive I published on Navi’s launch date, you will remember I said the GPU will launch roughly a month or so after Ryzen 3000 series (7nm) which is expected to launch at Computex. That means we are looking at a launch by late July – mid-August. Now that AMD has confirmed a launch in Q3, the rumour mill is sure to switch into high gear leading up to the days of the actual launch. This is going to be the biggest gaming launch since their Vega reveal in late 2016.

AMD also announced that they would be launching the 7nm Ryzen processors in Q3 but this is old news by now (if you follow the leak scene) and we expect them to roll those out at the Computex Keynote. We might even get a sneak peek at the upcoming Navi GPU as well – although the actual launch won’t happen till later.

Remember this is only small Navi, big Navi isn't coming till much later, probably next year.

The Navi GPU is going to slot in somewhere between the Vega 56 and 64 in terms of performance levels and we have heard conflicting stories about its architecture. My original and (one of the more reliable) source maintains the flagship Navi GPU will not be based on GCN architecture but a recent leak appears to contradict that. I was also told that the first variant of Navi that launches will house just 40 CUs which if the ratio of SP to CU is the same as GCN equates to 2560 SPs. This is obviously not the highest end variant of Navi and as far as I know, will actually be called Navi 12.

This makes sense as AMD bides its time to perfect the actual flagship which will roll out later sometime. In other words, the word on the rumour mill is that Navi 10 won’t actually be the first GPU out the door, in a break from tradition and the company will actually go after a bottoms-up approach this time. Which considering their current GPU market positioning of targeting the perf/$ segment instead of pure performance, makes a lot of sense.

https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-navi-gpu-launching-in-q3-2019/

My wallet is ready for Zen 2, I'm not so interested in this iteration of Navi tbh. My Vega will tide me over until Navi 10.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's just so disappointing to see yet another GPU release that is barely going to perform better than 3 year old NVIDIA tech.  I hope these rumours are wrong or more people will stop holding out for AMD.   Mind you it is WTFtech, so bets have been hedged, it could still be better than this.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's just so disappointing to see yet another GPU release that is barely going to perform better than 3 year old NVIDIA tech.

Are you talking about NVIDIAs high end from 3 years ago or am I missing something?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's just so disappointing to see yet another GPU release that is barely going to perform better than 3 year old NVIDIA tech.  I hope these rumours are wrong or more people will stop holding out for AMD.   Mind you it is WTFtech, so bets have been hedged, it could still be better than this.

While it is a bit dissapointing for a rich gamer such as you, the news are great for budget gamers, because since rx480 AMD gpus are the price to performance champions, and they also fair very well in compute tasks.

So it is expected that this will be at rx590  price point, but performing as well as vega56-64? It is great news.

As the OP said, this is small Navi, big Navi will come out in next year.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's disappointing to see a GPU unable to beat the rx 570 at the same price point, 2 years after AMD released it. It's not just AMD who's disapppointing, the GTX 1650 was a joke. It's disappointing to see a 1440p card given 6gb vram in 2019 (2060). It's disappointing to see the 2060ti dressed up as a 2070, and then given a price that would result in you having to sell your house to get one. It's disappointing to see a gpu that costs people their entire life earnings let alone their house. (2080ti)

I think we should turn our sights away from the higher navi gpu and instead take a look at the lower end navi gpu. The low spec one (3060 as they call it) is the real winner here. It's the gpu the budget gamers have been waiting so long for. RX 580/GTX 1060/GTX 1660 performance with good efficiency, for 100$ sounds amazing to me. That's the one we should be looking out for rather than focusing solely on the so-called 3080.

2 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Are you talking about NVIDIAs high end or am I missing something?

If they are claiming it is going to perform somewhere between a V56 and  a V64 then we are talking about 1080 performance. Which is 3 years old now.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

If they are claiming it is going to perform somewhere between a V56 and  a V64 then we are talking about 1080 performance. Which is 3 years old now.

Ah, ok. But that's (as mentioned by @Origami Cactus) only small Navi. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

so what, performance is only half or less of what matters, is launching a new Lamborghini pointless because Bugatti has a faster car for some time?

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

While it is a bit dissapointing for a rich gamer such as you, the news are great for budget gamers, because since rx480 AMD gpus are the price to performance champions, and they also fair very well in compute tasks.

So it is expected that this will be at rx590  price point, but performing as well as vega56-64? It is great news.

As the OP said, this is small Navi, big Navi will come out in next year.

What has my net wealth got to do with anything? This is an industry problem not just a consumer one.

1 minute ago, MeatFeastMan said:

It's disappointing to see a GPU unable to beat the rx 570 at the same price point, 2 years after AMD released it. It's not just AMD who's disapppointing, the GTX 1650 was a joke. It's disappointing to see a 1440p card given 6gb vram in 2019 (2060). It's disappointing to see the 2060ti dressed up as a 2070, and then given a price that would result in you having to sell your house to get one. It's disappointing to see a gpu that costs people their entire life earnings let alone their house. (2080ti)

I think we should turn our sights away from the higher navi gpu and instead take a look at the lower end navi gpu. The low spec one (3060 as they call it) is the real winner here. It's the gpu the budget gamers have been waiting so long for. RX 580/GTX 1060/GTX 1660 performance with good efficiency, for 100$ sounds amazing to me. That's the one we should be looking out for rather than focusing solely on the so-called 3080.

I'm not in the habit of ignoring the driving edge of technology just to appease my displeasure that the competition is still struggling with it.

People seem to ignore the fact that technology is a top down enterprise,  no company develops a shit average mid tier product then tries to make it better, they make the best they can and then release dumbed down version for the mid tier and entry.  When a company cannot compete at the top end it is because they cannot compete.  If the best they can do is mid range and make it a bit cheaper then that is telling of their abilities.

I don't have $1k to spend on a high end GPU, so if it performs around the same as a 1080 for much cheaper, that's great news to me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

so what, performance is only half or less of what matters, is launching a new Lamborghini pointless because Bugatti has a faster car for some time?

In a two horse race where performance is the sole selling point then it matters,  And please don't put words in my mouth, I did not say it was pointless I said it was displeasing.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So? You're comparing a cheap low-mid end card to a high end card. Same could be said for GTX1650 that's super brand new with super new architecture and can barely keep up with what's essentially an RX470 from 3 years ago. It goes both ways and we're at least comparing the same relative segment.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

In a two horse race where performance is the sole selling point then it matters,  And please don't put words in my mouth, I did not say it was pointless I said it was displeasing.

thats only true at a certain fixed price range, so it doesn't matter if they make their card a mid range or a low range or a high end, it matters how it will perform in that range, 

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

What has my net wealth got to do with anything? This is an industry problem not just a consumer one.

I'm not in the habit of ignoring the driving edge of technology just to appease my displeasure that the competition is still struggling with it.

People seem to ignore the fact that technology is a top down enterprise,  no company develops a shit average mid tier product then tries to make it better, they make the best they can and then release dumbed down version for the mid tier and entry.  When a company cannot compete at the top end it is because they cannot compete.  If the best they can do is mid range and make it a bit cheaper then that is telling of their abilities.

they make R&D to improve the architecture first, then the product, most improvements affect all gpus independently if its a high end card or not, so it doesn't matter if they sell a high end card or not outside of marketing and profits on that part of the market.

or is vega not an improvement on polaris

Just now, RejZoR said:

So? You're comparing a cheap low-mid end card to a high end card. Same could be said for GTX1650 that's super brand new with super new architecture and can barely keep up with what's essentially an RX470 from 3 years ago. It goes both ways and we're at least comparing the same relative segment.

No I am not.  I have made no comparisons beyond the fact that it has be depressing to see NVIDIA release card after card and be the most powerful for several years now and the best we got from AMD was the R7.  Every other release has been a mid tier or 1070/1080 competitor.

That is not what I like to see in a companies,  I like to see ryzen size products, Products that don't have to be cheaper to be genuine options.  

When is AMD going to make a product that will finally put the smackdown on the 1080 ti? Sure the VII trades blows with it, but by the time people will appreciate that extra VRAM it'll be multiple generations old. Years later AMD still doesn't have an answer to Pascal, Nvidia is just allowed to be mediocre and laugh all the way to the bank in many respects. Is there anything on the horizon that Nvidia can't respond to with a simple price cut? Go Intel, I guess.

15 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

thats only true at a certain fixed price range, so it doesn't matter if they make their card a mid range or a low range or a high end, it matters how it will perform in that range, 

Boxing products into a price range only narrows down which product is better for that range (you can do this for any attribute, not just price).  It does nothing for determining the best tech, the better process, the better performer or the more efficient product.  As I said before, these companies work to build the best they can first.  If a company struggles to have competing products in bleeding edge then you have to question how improvable their other products are.

they make R&D to improve the architecture first, then the product, most improvements affect all gpus independently if its a high end card or not, so it doesn't matter if they sell a high end card or not outside of marketing and profits on that part of the market.

or is vega not an improvement on polaris

Can you put that another way, because I don't understand what you are trying to say or how it relates to my post.

Make no mistake if the roles were reversed here I would be saying exactly the same thing about NVIDIA.   In fact back in AMD's hay day with the 3500 and 3200, I was making similar complaints about Intel. 

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Boxing products into a price range only narrows down which product is better for that range (you can do this for any attribute, not just price).  It does nothing for determining the best tech, the better process, the better performer or the more efficient product.  As I said before, these companies work to build the best they can first.  If a company struggles to have competing products in bleeding edge then you have to question how improvable
 their other products are.

Can you put that another way, because I don't understand what you are trying to say or how it relates to my post.

Make no mistake of the roles were reversed here I would be saying exactly the same thing about NVIDIA.   In fact back in AMD hay day with the 3500 and 3200 II was making similar complaints about Intel. 

i am saying the bleeding edge isn't tied to where in the market the product is released. (the same way that a 2 litre engine can be bleeding edge tech)

in the very first post you said that you were sad that amd was bringing 1080 performance levels, what i am trying to point out is that its not important which market the product is aiming at, what matters is what it does to its market tier and how it competes there, if we get 1080 performance for a price that couldn't get that level of performance thats a good thing

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No I am not.  I have made no comparisons beyond the fact that it has be depressing to see NVIDIA release card after card and be the most powerful for several years now and the best we got from AMD was the R7.  Every other release has been a mid tier or 1070/1080 competitor.

That is not what I like to see in a companies,  I like to see ryzen size products, Products that don't have to be cheaper to be genuine options.  

No, you were exactly comparing a mid end card (Navi) to a old high end (GTX 1080) and then blaming AMD further for not being king of the hill because reasons. So fucking what if AMD is not king of the hill? RX480/RX580/RX590 is perfectly competent and they sell these pretty well. Radeon VII was also perfectly competent card for those who don't want NVIDIA under any circumstance. So it's not the best of the best. But isn't that much worse either (and people buying these don't give a shit about power consumption when they are rocking top of the line PSU's anyway). AMD seems to be ok with it so there's that. Company is somewhat happy and so are users. Of course everyone wants AMD to kick NVIDIA's butt in a properly serious way, but anyone who's been following this market knows it ain't happening due to financial issues AMD was having. But CPU segment is doing great now and they have good plans for the future of GPU segment so just let it be. Now that cryptomining is finally dead, a well placed mid end card is what people really care, not a 800-1000€ top end card. That's for PR bullshit to brag around you're the best, mid end is what actually makes the most sales. If AMD pulls another Polaris with Navi, I'm actually fine with it. If they can do top end from that as well, even better. But it's really not a requirement for them to do well.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:20 PM, cj09beira said:

i am saying the bleeding edge isn't tied to where in the market the product is released. (the same way that a 2 litre engine can be bleeding edge tech)

in the very first post you said that you were sad that amd was bringing 1080 performance levels, what i am trying to point out is that its not important which market the product is aiming at, what matters is what it does to its market tier and how it competes there, if we get 1080 performance for a price that couldn't get that level of performance thats a good thing

No, I get that.  And to a fair level I agree.  However my displeasure comes from the fact they haven't yet shown they can compete anywhere else in the market.  Imagine if Ryzen had only been as good as an i5 and a few dollars cheaper,  It might be great as an alternative to an i5, but it would still show us they can't make anything better.  And that is the important bit, what if they never do? what if big navi comes alone and it's barely better than a 2080ti one year after it launched?  that's not good news for AMD.  And that's why it is disappointing to see.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

No, you were exactly comparing a mid end card (Navi) to a old high end (GTX 1080) and then blaming AMD further for not being king of the hill because reasons. So fucking what if AMD is not king of the hill? RX480/RX580/RX590 is perfectly competent and they sell these pretty well. Radeon VII was also perfectly competent card for those who don't want NVIDIA under any circumstance. So it's not the best of the best. But isn't that much worse either (and people buying these don't give a shit about power consumption when they are rocking top of the line PSU's anyway). AMD seems to be ok with it so there's that. Company is somewhat happy and so are users. Of course everyone wants AMD to kick NVIDIA's butt in a properly serious way, but anyone who's been following this market knows it ain't happening due to financial issues AMD was having. But CPU segment is doing great now and they have good plans for the future of GPU segment so just let it be. Now that cryptomining is finally dead, a well placed mid end card is what people really care, not a 800-1000€ top end card. That's for PR bullshit to brag around you're the best, mid end is what actually makes the most sales. If AMD pulls another Polaris with Navi, I'm actually fine with it. If they can do top end from that as well, even better. But it's really not a requirement for them to do well.

read my posts again.

The vega56 is $260+tax where I live, same as  the rx590.

They should have flipped this release on its head, people always get more excited about the highend stuff. Unless it undercuts the pricing for 1080 performance by alot I don't see the point. 

I've read it. And that's exactly what you said. Navi (a budget mid end predicted to be offering GTX 1080 performance) is bad in your view just because GTX 1080 high end card from 3 years ago is 3 years old now and Navi would have such performance level so that's bad. Somehow. That's what I'm getting from your post, nothing else.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've read it. And that's exactly what you said. Navi (a budget mid end predicted to be offering GTX 1080 performance) is bad in your view just because GTX 1080 high end card from 3 years ago is 3 years old now and Navi would have such performance level so that's bad. Somehow. That's what I'm getting from your post, nothing else.

ok, sure whatever you need, I am comparing it and claiming it is a better buy and and and stupid price etc.  feel better?

It's not "whatever you need", it's what YOU wrote.

6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's not "whatever you need", it's what YOU wrote.

Along with many other things, it's a shame you wont read them.