Games to play with my (very non gamery) girlfriend

German_John

Hey all,

lately, I've tried to get my girlfriend into gaming a little bit. We've hit a few snags.

She has pretty bad motion sickness, so any first person stuff is out. She's also never played video games, so nothing complicated (A Hat in Time was a bit too much for her)

Right now, we're on Lego Harry Potter, and she likes it. but after that, I'd like to try something else - work up from there. I think any simple 2D platformers with a Co-Op would do nicely. We've tried Shovel Knight, but that was a bit too time-sensitive (she has to search for buttons and just isn't comfortable with gamepads yet).

I know that's a lot to ask :D But has anyone got any suggestions? Any valuable experience? Anything other than other Lego games (which would obviously work)

Cheers!

Trine comes to mind, never played it myself but its a 2d-ish platform puzzle game.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

Minecraft This game has made a lot of couples come closer.

Not a bad suggestion, but I think her motion sickness would kill her. She feels a bit dizzy after like 45 minutes of Lego Harry Potter, so I'm not sure Minecraft would work :D

Fun fact, I've never played minecraft. I have two Raspis, though, so that should work...

Just now, German_John said:

Not a bad suggestion, but I think her motion sickness would kill her. She feels a bit dizzy after like 45 minutes of Lego Harry Potter, so I'm not sure Minecraft would work :D

Fun fact, I've never played minecraft. I have two Raspis, though, so that should work...

Minecraft does not trigger motion sickness just play a bit survival,i bet she will like it.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Trine comes to mind, never played it myself but its a 2d-ish platform puzzle game.

Trine looks cool. Should have mentioned that local Coop would be very much preferred, though, mainly for cost reasons :D 

2 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Stardew Valley, you can build and maintain a farm together.

That's a really good idea actually. I think she could get into that.

1 minute ago, ManosMax13 said:

Minecraft does not trigger motion sickness just play a bit survival,i bet she will like it.

I guess since I have the pi's I might as well hook one up to a monitor and see what happens

"lovers in a dangerous spacetime" https://store.steampowered.com/app/252110/Lovers_in_a_Dangerous_Spacetime/

It's an indie game with a unique art style, starts off simple and works up to being complex. 2D, each person takes on different roles so she can work out which is best for her (flying, shooting, shields) It is also slow to start with and has an engaging difficulty curve. It also has 2 player and a reliance on teamwork. 

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

1 minute ago, InsufficientSleep said:

Borderlands 

would be bad for the motion sickness

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

Super Mario / Mario party 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

20 minutes ago, German_John said:

Not a bad suggestion, but I think her motion sickness would kill her.

Consider experimenting with different FoV settings, that is what tends to cause motion sickness in games. That and motion blur.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Minecraft :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Look for co-op games / shared/split-screen categories on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=24

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=9

Maybe Trine series: https://store.steampowered.com/app/35700/Trine_Enchanted_Edition/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 : https://store.steampowered.com/app/435150/Divinity_Original_Sin_2__Definitive_Edition/

stardew valley : https://store.steampowered.com/app/413150/Stardew_Valley/

torchlight 1,2 : https://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/Torchlight_II/

i think borderlands (2) online co-op ... should be fine but definitely check FOV Settings and distance from

monitor/tv - art style can cause that motion sickness

worms series (reloaded, armageddon) - take turns

maybe heroes of might and magic 4, 5 if patient (turn based)

24 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Super Mario / Mario party 

I would love Super Mario, but I'm not aware of one that has a Coop mode? 

Mario party would probably bore me to death really quickly

Man, you have a lot of good suggestions :D Thanks! I'll probably check Stardew Valley out, I've always wanted to try it and it seems chill enough for her. And it's on GoG.

Check out a game called Unravel 2, gorgeous little side scrolling/platform/puzzle game where you can work together to overcome obstacles, having said that, perhaps you could ask her about a hobby that she likes and then you join her thing?  

1 hour ago, Newenthusiast said:

Check out a game called Unravel 2, gorgeous little side scrolling/platform/puzzle game where you can work together to overcome obstacles, having said that, perhaps you could ask her about a hobby that she likes and then you join her thing?  

Thanks, I'll check it out!

We actually already do a bunch of things together, and her other hobbies are more solitary activities (crocheting, for example). And it's not like she's not enjoying playing games, she's just a total newbie. 

1 minute ago, German_John said:

Thanks, I'll check it out!

We actually already do a bunch of things together, and her other hobbies are more solitary activities (crocheting, for example). And it's not like she's not enjoying playing games, she's just a total newbie. 

Good to know, i hope she enjoys the game ?

you can always ask if she wants to dance together with you ;)-

Most girls tend to favour mmorpg's and puzzler types of play.. especially with crocheting in mind ;) bit of romantic too btw

Trine 1-2-3, often on deals on GOG and the 4th is coming in october this year

On 4/21/2019 at 2:24 PM, Himommies said:

Overcooked and its sequal are fantastic

You need to have a strong relationship, or be wanting to end it, to play Overcooked with your significant other.