*New* Edge (Chromium based) Preview is here! - Get it now!

GoodBytes
2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

When you install the new Edge, it can import your password from Chrome and Firefox :)

How is that safe?  What am I missing here?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

41 minutes ago, nick name said:

How is that safe?  What am I missing here?

Your web browser passwords saving feature is not safe. In addition, Chrome is based on Chromium which is open source, and Firefox is open source as well. Whatever security protection it has against the user (doesn't display the password until requested in the Settings panel) is just that, just for the user. it is deisgned to be extractable by another entity. If you want security you need to either use the Master password feature (and even then) or use a password manager system. So your passwords stored in your web browser will be safely moved from one web browser to another.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft annonces the following features that is coming:

• Dark mode (although you can enable it manually under edge://flags/ currently)
  • Accessibility Improvements
  • Chekcer of Grammar
  • Smooth Scrolling
  • Reading View
  • Built-in Page Translation

Just so that people are aware, Dark mode is something that is getting implemented in Chrome too. It already works on MacOS since Chrome 73. 

Smooth scrolling is not really something that's being implemented, rather than improved. What Microsoft has done is suggested moving scrolling from a thread which in certain situations (heavy load) can get choked which causes stuttering when scrolling. This is coming to chrome too, if Google approves it upstream. 

Reader view is also something that Google is implementing. You can enable it right now in its beta form by creating a shortcut to Chrome with the flag "–enable-dom-distiller" and then restarting Chrome. It adds a new option in the menu called distill. 

Built-in Page translator already exists in Chrome. My guess is that Microsoft ripped it out since it uses Google translate, and will change it to Bing translator later. 

Yayyyy!! So now instead of having a Google infested browser, I can have a Microsoft infested browser! What an upgrade!!!

No thanks, Firefox and Duckduckgo for me. :)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Your web browser passwords saving feature is not safe. Chrome is based on Chromium which is open source, and Firefox is open source as well. What ever security protection it has, is open to all. If you want security you need to either use the Master password feature (and even then) or use a password manager system. 

If you're implying that "because it is open source, anyone can view your password" then you're very wrong. Passwords can be extracted because it was designed that way, not because it is open source. It is possible to design an open source program which doesn't let passwords be extracted.

27 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If you're implying that "because it is open source, anyone can view your password" then you're very wrong. Passwords can be extracted because it was designed that way, not because it is open source. It is possible to design an open source program which doesn't let passwords be extracted.

Sorry, typed too fast, will fix.

Yes, I meant how teh password system all works (where it stores them, how, etc.)

One issue I am noticing wtih this official version VS the leaked version is that HTML5 test website is not loading... I just see a circle of dots like it is loading but got stuck.  So I can't even compare the HTML5 test score. 

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft annonces the following features that is coming:

• Dark mode (although you can enable it manually under edge://flags/ currently)
  • Accessibility Improvements
  • Chekcer of Grammar
  • Smooth Scrolling
  • Reading View
  • Built-in Page Translation

I wonder if it has a "Chekcer" of spelling as well?  ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Chrome is based on Chromium which is open source, and Firefox is open source as well. Whatever security protection it has against the user (doesn't display the password until requested in the Settings panel) is just that, just for the user. it is deisgned to be extractable by another entity. If you want security you need to either use the Master password feature (and even then) or use a password manager system. So your passwords stored in your web browser will be safely moved from one web browser to another.

Actually I remember Chrome/Chromium uses your system account and password to encrypt the password database, so it uses some sort of Windows API which should prompt something like an UAC authentication when that data is accessed, so they are definitely encrypted. The same happens on Linux (gnome-keyring) and MacOS (idk the name) even in Firefox.

image.png.9dd1d314aa6d35e55b877130194ced60.pngimage.png.a8018921cd6d9a5aaa5a61c41f2d981b.png
Something like that

So maybe for some reason it either trust some programs or it just lets access to everyone for any program running with the same user once you unlocked it (or prompted your password somewhere else I don't know how it work in detail)

EDIT: Looks like it uses DPAPI, the same as other Windows programs used for internet explorer as well

Chrome is based on Chromium which is open source, and Firefox is open source as well.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Dis
I don't know what he is assuming with that software being open source regarding security, this has nothing do to with that

Edited by Chunchunmaru_

Very early versions, I have tried them, it's ok and all, definitely needs more work towards beta and can't wait to see the final release how it stacks up. The vanilla Edge is quite fast, scrolling, hardware acceleration and really general site loading and navigation worked very good. Hopefully they manage to transition all the goodies for the full release.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So they're making a Chrome competitor, but we have opera, it's better, at least if you like ad blocking and privacy stuff. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

5 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

- some password-y stuff

As a note, in Windows 10, both Chrome and New Edge use the Windows Hello API as default, so if you have face scanning or fingerprint, it will use that, otherwise, you can use your password or even your PIN

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

11 minutes ago, Kherm said:

As a note, in Windows 10, both Chrome and New Edge use the Windows Hello API as default, so if you have face scanning or fingerprint, it will use that, otherwise, you can use your password or even your PIN

Yup I have noticed that when using a smart card to authenticate a request, the UI also looks different, has a metro looking one

On 4/8/2019 at 12:30 PM, hobobobo said:

Chromium cancer is spreading... Thank god for firefox

On a more serious note, there should be an invistigation done by FTC into practices with browsers, chrome stays the "fastest" kinda in a shady way

Chromium is free and open source. That alone gains my trust and good will. 

Chrome on the other hand? Meh. I use it only on windows computers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

47 minutes ago, wasab said:

Chromium is free and open source. That alone gains my trust and good will. 

Chrome on the other hand? Meh. I use it only on windows computers. 

And google is using every trick in the book for it to gain marketshare. Its engine is still written by google and they have a history of adding useless crap to their websites and ad-sense boxes, so everywhere, which is auto-discarded by chrome/chromium and slows down the rest of the browsers. And there is alot more, i just cant remember of the top of my head

27 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

And google is using every trick in the book for it to gain marketshare. Its engine is still written by google and they have a history of adding useless crap to their websites and ad-sense boxes, so everywhere, which is auto-discarded by chrome/chromium and slows down the rest of the browsers. And there is alot more, i just cant remember of the top of my head

It is under BSD license. An apt developer(or company like Microsoft for that matter) can easily grab the source code and do away with all the Google stuffs if he does not disagree with whatever craps Google added. That alone is good enough. Choice is there. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

It is under BSD license. An apt developer(or company like Microsoft for that matter) can easily grab the source code and do away with all the Google stuffs if he does not disagree with whatever craps Google added. That alone is good enough. Choice is there. 

Google ads crap to their websites, not the engine. They just optimize the engine to ignore the crap and this way slow down others

https://bitcoinwarrior.net/2018/12/did-google-use-dirty-tricks-to-cripple-microsofts-edge-browser/

heres a good read

8 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Google ads crap to their websites, not the engine. They just optimize the engine to ignore the crap and this way slow down others

https://bitcoinwarrior.net/2018/12/did-google-use-dirty-tricks-to-cripple-microsofts-edge-browser/

heres a good read

If ads are on the websites then you still get the ads even if you are on Firefox for going to that website. 

Why are you dragging poor chromium into this?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

If ads are on the websites then you still get the ads even if you are on Firefox for going to that website. 

Im honestly aghast. Websites dont write their own code for ads, they just add googles code to css and every time you load and adsense ad you are loading google written code. On chromium they discard the useless code automaticly, other browsers always have to catch up. And there is no point in adding useless css boxes to adsense box other then gimping competition

36 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Im honestly aghast. Websites dont write their own code for ads, they just add googles code to css and every time you load and adsense ad you are loading google written code. On chromium they discard the useless code automaticly, other browsers always have to catch up. And there is no point in adding useless css boxes to adsense box other then gimping competition

And you believe chromium includes these code optimization from Google? Again, the code is open sourced. It is trivial for others to grab components from chromium and use them as they so choose. That includes Google's allege ad performance enhancements. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

29 minutes ago, wasab said:

And you believe chromium includes these code optimization from Google? Again, the code is open sourced. It is trivial for others to grab components from chromium and use them as they so choose. That includes Google's allege ad performance enhancements. 

I see your point and sorta agree, but seing the dominant market share of chromium and how they got there i cant help but feel some sort of disgust towards the product. Maybe im just a firefox fanboy, since i use it and its derivatives pretty much exclusively

It seems that right now EDGEHTML based old ege scores better on the HTML5 test than the official canary build.  (but the leaked build of it ran on the HTML5 test just like Chrome did).  

There is a real danger that MS will eff this up somehow. 

Annotation 2019-04-09 174135.png

2 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

It seems that right now EDGEHTML based old ege scores better on the HTML5 test than the official canary build.  (but the leaked build of it ran on the HTML5 test just like Chrome did).  

There is a real danger that MS will eff this up somehow. 

Annotation 2019-04-09 174135.png

I really don't care what the numbers say, I genuinely tried to use old Edge for some time, but it was a complete dog. Utter garbage. Websites like TweetDeck, Twitch, YouTube and Google Maps ran like trash, and everything else wasn't exactly speedy. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

• 2 weeks later...

I am very happy(pleased) with this browser, I can say from noting several very small minor tweeks this runs better than Chrome (in my experience thus far) it even runs extensions better.

One example, Using the extension Dark Reader is a much better experience on New Edge, just look at the difference.

Please ignore the obvious redaction I had to use.

New Edge

Spoiler

1341431827_Capture01.thumb.JPG.dbf91d1f8d5543bef566fbbaa628de0e.JPG

Chrome v73.0.3683.103

Spoiler

1562916859_Capture02.thumb.JPG.1edf79aa48dab318caf060b82589c793.JPG

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER