Which SSD company would you choose ?

Faisal A

Which SSD company would you choose ?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which SSD company would you choose ?

2. 2. Why would you choose this company ?

Just like your last poll, it depends on the model and use case, If I need NVMe or not etc etc

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

The brand doesn't matter, companies make both good and bad products. The prices vary as well, usually a cheap SSD is no better than another cheap SSD, so if you're comparing two $25 SSDs, they'll be extremely similar, and the brand doesn't affect anything relevant. Additionally, the warranty service is usually fine across the board, so there's even less difference there.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Brand doesn't make much of a difference, the quality of products varies from model to model (sometimes price can also dictate the product quality).

My favourite SSD brand is Crucial. Their SSDs are relatively inexpensive and they perform well for the price.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Crucial, although your mileage may vary.

I'm biased for Samsung and their performance, but they're costly for what they are.

I don't mind what company it is as long as the product itself performs good for the pricetag is has, which is why I bought a 500GB Crucial P1 NVME for £75 earlier this year instead of a 500GB 970 EVO which was almost double that at the time.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Crucial & AData are faster and cheaper than Samsungs SSD's. But Samsung has more lifetime... but will I use it more than 50.000 years? 

Samsung is overpriced for what they offer,

a 970 evo is more expensive than a hp ex920/950 and performs the same p.

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

I'm biased for Samsung

Korea hype

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I've had an Integral SSD that performed perfectly and recently bought a WD Green 240GB, again performing fantastic. I think unless you go for the Ali Express Mington Extreeme QX2351545240 super value SSD you'll be fine with any of the major (and smaller) brands.

13 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Which SSD company would you choose and why ? e.g. lower costs, higher speeds, more robust.

Crucial (Micron) because they're a reliable brand delivering performance on par or better than Samsung's Evo lineup while [usually] selling for a little less. Plus, since Micron makes the Flash NAND for many companies drives, such as Intel, they get to cherry pick the grade A cells and BIN everything else off to other manufacturers.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Samsung or Micron, since they're both reliable and Micron/Crucial is relatively cheap. For more budget-oriented stuff TeamGroup's L5 Lite 3D is my go-to budget drive.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Intel and samsung make the most reliable SSDs.

Intel makes the fastest.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Intel and samsung make the most reliable SSDs.

Intel makes the fastest.

Citation? Optane not being an SSD.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

44 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Whichever is the cheaper at the time really

Dis

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

11 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Citation? Optane not being an SSD.

Take a look at tests of the 900 and 905P, they are far better than any other ssd.

And yes optane is a type of solid state drive.

Just because it uses 3dxpoint does not magically make it a hard drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

53 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Samsung is overpriced for what they offer,

a 970 evo is more expensive than a hp ex920/950 and performs the same p.

Is it really? They are rocking their own controllers which were proven to be incredibly reliable and high performing. And they also use own NAND chips and probably own DRAM as well. How many companies can offer such complete SSD design? And their drives are one of the most reliable in general.

Samsung every day all the way. Replacing my terrible laptop's godawful mechanical drive with a 850 EVO has actually made the laptop not infuriating to use. The 860 EVO in my main computer is wonderful too.

That being said, they're costly, so I went with a Kingston SSD for a backup computer I'm in the process of assembling. A good friend of mine has a Kingston SSD in his computer and it has served him well for years now. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, RejZoR said:

Is it really? They are rocking their own controllers which were proven to be incredibly reliable and high performing. And they also use own NAND chips and probably own DRAM as well. How many companies can offer such complete SSD design? And their drives are one of the most reliable in general.

Them making everything themselves doesnt mean it performs better. Look up any Ex950 review vs 970 evo (not pro). For reliability, Ive never seen any ssd fail, besides the really old 40gb one I had.

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

Take a look at tests of the 900 and 905P, they are far better than any other ssd.

And yes optane is a type of solid state drive.

Just because it uses 3dxpoint does not magically make it a hard drive.

I never said it's a hard drive. That said, Optane drives are so goddamn expensive and the actual performance gain (not benchmark scores) is... minimal over nVME.

She/they 

16 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I never said it's a hard drive. That said, Optane drives are so goddamn expensive and the actual performance gain (not benchmark scores) is... minimal over nVME.

Optane is solid state storage.

There is literally no question about that.

And the performance difference of 3dxpoint over regular nand nvme is far greater than nvme was over sata.

Even though sequential speeds are slower there is a massive improvement on latency and random performance, which is what 99% of daily computing uses.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Them making everything themselves doesnt mean it performs better. Look up any Ex950 review vs 970 evo (not pro). For reliability, Ive never seen any ssd fail, besides the really old 40gb one I had.

They have better control over it and they can tune it to perform best. With 3rd party components they have to go with whatever limits it has. It doesn't mean it'll always be better, but in Samsung's case, that is the case.