Google could be faced with a $1B fine with potential European reforms to Data Privacy Laws.

Post at /.

DW100 writes

"Despite Google being fined €900,000 by Spanish authorities and €150,000 in France for its controversial privacy policies in recent months, an EU commissioner has admitted this is mere 'pocket money' to the company. Instead, a new legal regime that would have seen Google fined $1bn for breaching data protection laws is needed to make U.S. companies fear and respect the law in Europe. 'Is it surprising to anyone,' asked Commissioner Viviane Reding, 'that two whole years after the case emerged, it is still unclear whether Google will amend its privacy policy or not? Europeans need to get serious. And that is why our reform introduces stiff sanctions that can reach as much as 2% of the global annual turnover of a company. In the Google case, that would have meant a fine of EUR 731 million (USD 1 billion). A sum much harder to brush off.'"

Well, that escalate quickly. (I'm sorry. I had to.)

But seriously. I'm glad someone is taking data privacy seriously (glances in the US' direction). I find what he said about 2 years later and they aren't sure if they will change their privacy laws or not very ... compelling. That is a statement. And man is it loaded. 

For those who will bring it up, I used the $1B in the title because it's round. I'm OCD like that (rarely, but about stupid things like numbers). 

I like this. Power to you EU. Maybe you can use that $1B to pay off your debt (zinnnnng). 

What do you guys think?

Interesting Comments:

EmperorArthur writes:

The EU is also responsible for the Data Retention Directive. Worse, most of their spy agencies are just as bad as the NSA. When you combine that with the lack of free speech in many EU countries it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

They're going to force companies to keep user data on EU soil. Which sounds nice, but that means they can force companies to keep your data for as long as they want and hand it all over to "law enforcement" when you've done something inconvenient. They will then have things like search results censored. (See Google France) I hate to say it, but people in the EU have even less privacy than those of us in the US. Even with/especially because of these privacy directives.

[More Incoming]

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

SUCK A DICK GOOGLE (As I type this on Chrome...)

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Fines are cool and whatnot, but I'd be more interested in when we start punishing people. 

That's a pretty large fine, so they might feel a sting, but often and especially in the US they're trivial and play into the "you can do what ever you want if you can pay for it"

Google aside, looking at the problem as a whole, in a lot of cases the money from breaking the law is more than the fine anyway, so might as well right? 

Error: 410

It's about time

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

This is an example of a government forcing change on a big company

what Google is trying to do in the US is the opposite. 

I find that interesting.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

$1 Billion? Pocket change for Google.

I don't really have an opinion on this thing, but still, they shouldn't just fine more just because it's Google they're fining. "Quick! Change the laws so we can fine them as much as we want before they fix it!"

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

GREAT

Google was like 2 million $ fine ?

ok here is a cheque !

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

"Could be"

$1 Billion? Pocket change for Google.

I don't really have an opinion on this thing, but still, they shouldn't just fine more just because it's Google they're fining. "Quick! Change the laws so we can fine them as much as we want before they fix it!"

It isnt "pocket change" for anyone.

$1B is 10% of their Q3 profits from 2013. And you really think the law is being changed just so they can fine people? Google will adapt and change to meet the new laws before they are enforced. Just like every time there is a new law.

Googles market cap is just

It isnt "pocket change" for anyone.

Of course I knew that. One billion is something that noone would throw around.

I understand the EU's attitude to this as they're trying to get the companies to understand that you do not fuck with their people's privacy. But one billion is a VERY substantial amount for a fine. Is there something they can do to get them to understand without taking such a huge sum of cash? That's my point. Surely there are other ways of punishing these companies.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Of course I knew that. One billion is something that noone would throw around.

I understand the EU's attitude to this as they're trying to get the companies to understand that you do not fuck with their people's privacy. But one billion is a VERY substantial amount for a fine. Is there something they can do to get them to understand without taking such a huge sum of cash? That's my point. Surely there are other ways of punishing these companies.

Interestingly...

abhi_beckhert writes:

Or even better, just tell google they have to stop selling services in Europe for a period of time, say 90 days. So nobody in Europe would be allowed to buy ads off Google while the ban was in place.

This would give competitors, who presumably adhere to EU law, a chance to step in and earn some revenue of their own.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Interestingly...

Wooo! :D

So, how are they forced to pay the fine? Google is a US company, they could just say no. Or even better, Google could cut off service to the EU entirely, that would be hilarious.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So, how are they forced to pay the fine? Google is a US company, they could just say no. Or even better, Google could cut off service to the EU entirely, that would be hilarious.

I'd say that if your company operates in another country, then you are obligated to follow that country's federal laws. (I'm fairly sure that's how it works)

Why you do this to Google. :(

Typed on Chrome on a Nexus 5.

Yeah, Google is totally going to stop serving ads to 10% of the planet's population, which are also some of the wealthiest people on the planet (even minimum wage or unemployment benefits puts you in the top 5% income worldwide) because they would otherwise lose 2% turn-over.

Also, the Data Retention Directive could be overturned if the Commission follows the opinion of the Advocate General of the ECJ (which it does all the time).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This is the best news I've heard all month. Hell, not that long ago I switched from Gmail to mail.ru as I'd rather give RUSSIANS access to my data than the US.

Hopefully this is the first in a long series of hard blows to Google. I'm sick of their shit.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I like it. Let's just hope that this fine is more than the profit Google makes violating the law ...

Why you do this to Google. :(

Typed on Chrome on a Nexus 5.

Because they deserve it so bad, fanboy.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Well I don't think Google would care if they were fined as they were buying quite a lot of companies recently.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Coming from the region which wanted to pass SOPA a couple of months back... This is merely for public approval.

And that's a reason why I still like Europe...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Google doesnt care, $1B is nothing.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

That is actually a lot even for Google.

It's a sizeable amount, but they won't have any problem paying it

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

It's a sizeable amount, but they won't have any problem paying it

They will if the EU keeps forcing them to pay it over and over again if Google doesn't do anything to change its policies.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15