CPU goes to 85c when gaming

Hello guys,

This is the first time that this happened to me.

I started playing a new video game for quite some time now and I noticed that there are random times when my PC suddenly shuts down (auto restart) in the middle of gaming.

I then checked my temps and noticed that my CPU goes up to 85c when I play. I have posted a speccy screenshot below and this screenshot is my normal temps when I work and do normal browsing stuff.

I only encounter the issue when I play video games. I tried touching one of the tubes of my AIO Liquid cooler (Corsair H100i) and it's hot. There also was a time when I noticed that the led indicator turned red but went back to green after a system restart. I haven't cleaned my radiator from day 1 since assembling my PC. Can this just be dust problems in the middle of the radiator and the fans or is it the whole liquid cooler that's faulty? I'm worried because this is the first time I experienced this issue. The top of the radiator is also letting out warm air.

Also, I will only be able to troubleshoot this further (disassemble, clean and replace parts if needed) four days from now. Is it alright to continue pushing my PC until then or should I make room in my schedule and clean or replace the cooler as soon as possible?

asddd11.png

8 minutes ago, Hit Start said:

Hello guys,

This is the first time that this happened to me.

I started playing a new video game for quite some time now and I noticed that there are random times when my PC suddenly shuts down (auto restart) in the middle of gaming.

I then checked my temps and noticed that my CPU goes up to 85c when I play. I have posted a speccy screenshot below and this screenshot is my normal temps when I work and do normal browsing stuff.

I only encounter the issue when I play video games. I tried touching one of the tubes of my AIO Liquid cooler (Corsair H100i) and it's hot. There also was a time when I noticed that the led indicator turned red but went back to green after a system restart. I haven't cleaned my radiator from day 1 since assembling my PC. Can this just be dust problems in the middle of the radiator and the fans or is it the whole liquid cooler that's faulty? I'm worried because this is the first time I experienced this issue. The top of the radiator is also letting out warm air.

Also, I will only be able to troubleshoot this further (disassemble, clean and replace parts if needed) four days from now. Is it alright to continue pushing my PC until then or should I make room in my schedule and clean or replace the cooler as soon as possible?

asddd11.png

its probably something to do with the aio pump,maybe it got disconnected or maybe it completely died

either way i wouldnt recommend using the pc untill you figure it out

if the radiator of the AIO is full of dust, then yes, you should clean it first. That should take care of a bulk of the cooling issues. Otherwise, 85C is okay, but that shouldn't cause the PC to outright shut down. The CPU would normally start lowering its clock speed to lower heat production.

If anything i would also attempt replacing the thermal paste. Also can you check the pump speed? when my h110i went out the sensor was throwing an error in Corsair Link

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

At worst its bad TIM between Die and Lid.

Haswell was pretty bad anyway...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Try cleaning the AIO radiator first. If your PC is suddenly shutting down the pump in the AIO cooler could be failing.

Haswell cpu's are hot,but they aren't bad.

85°C is high but not too dangerous for a pushed system. You haven't mentioned since when you system is running. A clogged radiator will severely impact cooling performance just like clogged up air filters. Dust can become conductive and lead to all sorts of weird behaviour up to the point of killing components. You can check if your pump reports any speeds to your system. Use a tool like HWInfo or HWMonitor. You can also check speeds and temps in BIOS. Give your radiator and system a good clean, shouldn't take longer than half an hour to an hour.

A dead pump will lead to ever rising temps and not just stop at 85°C. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

it certainly cant hurt to remove the CPU cooler, clean and reapply fresh (good) themal paste. this should eliminate any issues caused by a bad TIM application, mounting pressure etc.

also give the radiator/fans a good clean with an air duster to get rid of any dust blocking it.

the temperatures you describe aren't worrying in themselves, those chips do run hot regardless of cooler. if you want to understand more about why do a google for "delidding" and why people do it. Plus even if you have a temperature control problem your PC should not be crashing even past TJMAX temps, let alone 85degrees.

is the system overclocked at all? bad OC stability can definately lead to crashes. as can in-adequate power delivery (like running a 120W PSU on a 500W draw system)

As others mentioned, double check and make sure  the filters and radiator are cleared of any dust.  Which version of the H100i do you have installed?  If you're not sure, you can upload a pic of the pump and I can identify it from there.  Also, have you made any changes either to overclock or added new hardware to your build recently?

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

@Corsair Nick and everyone. Thank you very much for the responses.

I did not overclock my CPU.
My cooler is Corsair H100i Hydro series.

I will try cleaning tomorrow and apply fresh thermal paste and see how it goes from there. I think it's actually not 85c when it crashes because I set the led indicators to turn to red whenever my processor reaches 90 above and it seems like that when it shuts down, the led light is red so I guess it's above 90c whenever it crashes.

Apologies for the mistake as I have checked the temps right after the restart. It may have gradually went down after the system crash/restart

• 2 weeks later...

Does your CPU overheat if you perform any CPU intensive loads, with nothing intensive on the GPU?  I'm wondering if you're having an issue with airflow in your case.  Depending on how the airflow is in your case, the heat from your GPU could heatsoak the CPU radiator, and cause the heat to gradually rise.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

Believe it or not I had a bad time with this specific model too, I had it replaced and the replacement failed within a week or something aswell. I got credited by PCCG and went with the Hydro series H110i 280mm instead and it's been fine since 9 months. Both times the pump failed, tubes were hot for me too and my pc was switching off when it got too hot. Send it back. I remember at the time the reason we decided to stick with a different model from corsair was because they were both going through different manufacturing so we took a gamble and apparently they do it right. Forgot where and how we found this but it's out there, whoever is making the model you have failed hard IMO.

Your AIO might be dead. It is around that time to change the AIO. 

My coworker had his i5 2500k overheat because his Silverstone Tundra  240mm AIO died,

Antoher friend had his i7-4770k overheat because his corsair h100 died

My i7-4770k coolermaster seidon 240mm died and overheated on my wifes computer.

Pretty much it seems like 4-5 years is literally the limit for AIO lifespan.

Edit: or your cpu cooler screws backed off. Check if they are loose. That could be the reason and you may have to reapply thermal paste because of it

Just from the fact that you're "idling" in the 50s, I'd say your AIO may be on its way out or already dead. I would not attempt gaming anymore until you've resolved the issue as repeatedly hitting the CPU's automatic shut down temp can damage the chip.

As others have suggested, fresh paste & cleaning the radiator won't hurt. 

One simple test you can do to determine if the pump in the AIO is working or not, get Prime95, but only run it on ONE thread (not all) and see if a shutdown still occurs and if not how hot it gets. If it does, chances are the pump is not working at all. 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Haswell 4770 might be hot but Haswell Refresh isn't so bad at all.  Aka 4790/k

Mine loads 4.5Ghz 1.26v at 75*c Max on a 120mm AIO when using AVX loads, High load 60-65*c Gaming temps.

Do the things others have suggested and while you could still use the PC, I personally wouldn't until sorted.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz