Which CPU can you recommend for max. 450 USD?

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a new CPU maybe tomorrow. I want to use it for working and gaming Squad & Battlefield V.

I'd like to spend max. 450 USD (400 EUR).

A friend of mine recommends Ryzen 2700X. Until now I almost every time had a Intel CPU so I thought about maybe getting i7 8700k or i7 9700k?

Just tell me what you recommend.

Oh and please tell me which RAM I should get to it. I heard Ryzen needs different than Intel for best performance. Btw I have a RTX 2070 for gaming and play in WQHD 1440p.

Thanks in advance!

Get either the  i7 8700k or i7 9700, they are both solid choice.

As for the RAm get a 3200Mhz

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

@nunolava1998

@constantin

Is there any difference in performance? Oh btw I play in WQHD 1440p

1 minute ago, Hip said:

@nunolava1998

@constantin

Is there any difference in performance? Oh btw I play in WQHD 1440p

The 8700K/9700K have better single-core performance (so better game performance), but the 2700X has a longer lifespan, easy upgrading to Zen 2, much better multi-core (so streaming is ez af) and it's cooler.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

What is your current CPU?

i7 4790k

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Save your cash and wait for Zen 2. This isnt going to be too much of an upgrade. 

Do you mean between i7 4790k and i7 8700k? Not much performance boost?

Just now, Hip said:

There is some. Just not enough to warrant the expencive upgrade. 

Right now Zen 2 is arriving with a lot more to offer at the same pricepoint.

For the CPU that is assumed (based on everything we know) to be the r5 3600x tie-ing the 9900k using (according to AMD themselves) "early silicon" and "not final clockspeed". (This was shown at CES in January)

Which is why waiting for that instead is a much better choice. Especially considering your CPU is still relativly good.

Indeed .you have a CPU so your not desperate . Wait and see what zen 2 offers . If nothing else it will drop the Ryzen 2700 prices down a significant amount . And should drop the Intel prices some also

6 minutes ago, Colb said:

And should drop the Intel prices some also

14nm shortage. And Desktop is lne of the last on the priority lists.

You are dreaming to think Intel would drop any prices. 

31 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

There is some. Just not enough to warrant the expencive upgrade. 

Right now Zen 2 is arriving with a lot more to offer at the same pricepoint.

For the CPU that is assumed (based on everything we know) to be the r5 3600x tie-ing the 9900k using (according to AMD themselves) "early silicon" and "not final clockspeed". (This was shown at CES in January)

Which is why waiting for that instead is a much better choice. Especially considering your CPU is still relativly good.

Well I could sell my i7 4790k right now and pay 150 Euro more to get the i7 8700k for an upgrade.

24 minutes ago, Colb said:

Indeed .you have a CPU so your not desperate . Wait and see what zen 2 offers . If nothing else it will drop the Ryzen 2700 prices down a significant amount . And should drop the Intel prices some also

Is there any information about Zen 2 release date?

@GoldenLag So you think the new Ryzen will be better than 9900k even??

Begining of 3rd quarter as far as we know upto now.     Midrange zen2 is supposed to be around ( / bit highert than) 9900k performance 

1 hour ago, Hip said:

Demanding games like battlefield 5 are much smoother on 8700K if you have high refresh rate monitor...i upgraded from 4770K to 8700K and the jump is nice if you have the GPU horsepower.

32 minutes ago, Hip said:

Well I could sell my i7 4790k right now and pay 150 Euro more to get the i7 8700k for an upgrade.

yeah i would do that...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Demanding games like battlefield 5 are much smoother on 8700K if you have high refresh rate monitor...i upgraded from 4770K to 8700K and the jump is nice if you have the GPU horsepower.

yeah i would do that...

Well I only have 60 Hz monitor but I play on WQHD with RTX 2070. Would you still recommend that?

@Colb That's still much time to wait tbh maybe the i7 4790k I have right now will be close to worthless until then.

57 minutes ago, Hip said:

Is there any information about Zen 2 release date?

@GoldenLag So you think the new Ryzen will be better than 9900k even??

Well seing as midrange Ryzen 3k is equal using early silicon. I would say yes. 

Releasedate around Q2/Q3. Not set in stone yet. May-June period. 

59 minutes ago, Hip said:

Wouldnt really be worth it. 

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Save your cash and wait for Zen 2. This isnt going to be too much of an upgrade. 

Agree.

For gaming, any Ryzen is going to be a sidegrade for you.

For low resolution non GPU bound high refresh gaming, you will notice improvement with the 8700/9700, but not worth it at this time imo.

Honestly if I presently had an unlocked Sandy bridge i7 or better, I wouldn't bother this year at all. 

For gaming anyway.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, Hip said:

Well I only have 60 Hz monitor but I play on WQHD with RTX 2070. Would you still recommend that?

@Colb That's still much time to wait tbh maybe the i7 4790k I have right now will be close to worthless until then.

Then no, there's not a single game out there that I tested the 4790 can play all off them with at least 70fps+

Keep your cpu, it's fine

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR