Linus' latest video gets on trending, hate in comments

ImAlsoRan
11 hours ago, corrado33 said:

No, I'm not pissed. I'm happy. Low quality content (like this was) should get shitty comments. It's just a shame that it got pushed to so many people that it still got a million views. 

Thats what you get when you combine a clickbait title with bad content. But if he says it gets more views then somehow its OK.

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

While hate speech is often associated to racism or sexism, it's just a term to indicate offensive and derogatory insults.

Erm, as far as law goes in multiple nations "hate speech" is NOT "just a term to indicate offensive and derogatory insults"... it goes much further than something being insulting or even grossly insulting. It is defined by intent to incite actual violence against someone or a group and is something on going, not a simple passing comment.

16 hours ago, drinklime said:

I just posted a thread in which I pointed out that Linus is paying for views and this proves it. I was berated in that thread and called a troll. This is a much different place than when I visited one year ago I am very disappointed in Linus and his new "community"

Major claims require major evidence. 

You lack evidence, therefore you claim is meaningless. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I find most of the responses here kinda sad.

I mean, call me old, but I still remember the good old days when we had something called the "netiquette", posts like that would be considered flaming, removed nigh immediately, and their authors would get a swift ban, while repeat offenders would be banned on sight. Remember the human. Respect others. Make yourself look good on-line. Don't flame. Don't troll. These were the rules and - at least where I used to dwell - people respected them.

And now? "It's just the Internet", " If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!", "Get thicker skin. Or Log off the interwebs imho"... That's not what the Internet used to be.

18 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Isn't hate speech derogatory based on demographic? These are haters but I would classify "hate speech" as someone being racist or something, that's the context I've heard it most used in at least.

Also, what kind of idiot is going to the YouTube recommended or trending tab and complaining about the quality of the content there? They have to expect something they wouldn't like.

Also also, Craftnut with the dabbing roblox guy isn't actually a hater.

yeh something like that but.....Freedom of speech?(South park quote)

to address the OP, I think LTT video's are a waste of time with no real technical info in them these days, but I also think that people can voice that opinion without resorting to cursing. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Luke.seven said:

Erm, as far as law goes in multiple nations "hate speech" is NOT "just a term to indicate offensive and derogatory insults"... it goes much further than something being insulting or even grossly insulting. It is defined by intent to incite actual violence against someone or a group and is something on going, not a simple passing comment.

Fair enough, I wasn't really thinking of the legal definition.

5 hours ago, PacketMan said:

Latest LTT content is loooooooow quality tho, so I understand why are so many people pissed off BTW

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Thats what you get when you combine a clickbait title with bad content. But if he says it gets more views then somehow its OK.

It's fine to criticise, it's not fine to insult - especially since most of these aren't critique at all, they're just mindless trolling. And it's not just about views - people enjoy their current content, or they wouldn't be growing at the rate they are. Those people may just not be the same as those from 8 years ago.

I don't enjoy their stuff as much as I used to either, but I can consider the possibility that my tastes may have changed after so many years... as has my knowledge. There are things I now consider obvious that a new viewer might not, and going back to older videos it turns out that applies to those as well.

Maybe... just maybe... we're a niche.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Fair enough, I wasn't really thinking of the legal definition.

It's fine to criticise, it's not fine to insult - especially since most of these aren't critique at all, they're just mindless trolling. And it's not just about views - people enjoy their current content, or they wouldn't be growing at the rate they are. Those people may just not be the same as those from 8 years ago.

I don't enjoy their stuff as much as I used to either, but I can consider the possibility that my tastes may have changed after so many years... as has my knowledge. There are things I now consider obvious that a new viewer might not, and going back to older videos it turns out that applies to those as well.

Maybe... just maybe... we're a niche.

They are quite clearly listening anyway, and adjusting their titles, so I'm happy as long as they are always trying to improve, but now this is what really gets me is when content creators hand pick comments like in the last WAN show (I'm fine with the time slides of course, but cherry picking at least a page of comments just seems like hiding something). 

1289233567_ScreenShot2019-02-03at8_37_33AM.thumb.png.500efeb92a97a484db60af8de7a342b5.png

I don't even know why because some of these are not good comments. It just makes the video seem bad like they are trying to compensate for quality. It just seems Linus is doing more and more of the typical 'bad youtuber' stuff that makes crappy videos go viral; loving good comments; editing videos in a 'meme' fashion; clickbait titles. You probably know what I mean, like those prank channels or what not. 

I'm all for Linus treating it like a business, and its bad content at all plus employees to pay, but just lately it seems he wants to ramp up the money making part a lot and losing integrity. 

Maybe all this is normal now for being on YouTube though and now his target audience is shifting I get what you are saying and I agree. 

People who comment on youtube videos are a different breed.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

On 2/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, RorzNZ said:

They are quite clearly listening anyway, and adjusting their titles, so I'm happy as long as they are always trying to improve, but now this is what really gets me is when content creators hand pick comments like in the last WAN show (I'm fine with the time slides of course, but cherry picking at least a page of comments just seems like hiding something). 

1289233567_ScreenShot2019-02-03at8_37_33AM.thumb.png.500efeb92a97a484db60af8de7a342b5.png

I don't even know why because some of these are not good comments. It just makes the video seem bad like they are trying to compensate for quality. It just seems Linus is doing more and more of the typical 'bad youtuber' stuff that makes crappy videos go viral; loving good comments; editing videos in a 'meme' fashion; clickbait titles. You probably know what I mean, like those prank channels or what not. 

I'm all for Linus treating it like a business, and its bad content at all plus employees to pay, but just lately it seems he wants to ramp up the money making part a lot and losing integrity. 

Maybe all this is normal now for being on YouTube though and now his target audience is shifting I get what you are saying and I agree. 

Lol there's no strategy to loving comments. Many of them are critical ones I found funny. 

And to address the accusations we are buying views, do you have ANY idea how much it costs to BUY views on YouTube??? 

We've experimented with it to boost our audience size in developing markets like India, but as far as we can tell even over there, where the CPMs are much lower its a TERRIBLE approach unless your video exists only to sell a service or product (a la Tai Lopez) 

48 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Lol there's no strategy to loving comments. Many of them are critical ones I found funny.

This, my friends, is what's called "turning the other cheek." Haters gonna hate, so let 'em hit you again if they enjoy it so much. Rock on.

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Well its nice to know you read the comments

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We've experimented with it to boost our audience size in developing markets like India

you don't say, never in a million years would i have imagined you making a TVS keyboard videos when all they are famous for is motor bikes lol. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 2/2/2019 at 1:04 PM, ImAlsoRan said:

Is this normal?

Yes

Are you pissed too?

No. Why should I be? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 2/2/2019 at 12:26 PM, TetraSky said:

What kind of moron even use the Home page in the first place instead of their Subscription page... Oh wait, the kind that post that kind of comments.

I am that kind of "moron" because every day I get at least one new interesting video which is not on my subscription list (which is really short). But unlike those commentators, if something really annoying or not interesting at all pops up I will click "not interested" in order to "teach" Youtube algorithm what I like and what I don't and not write stupid comments

On 2/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, drinklime said:

I just posted a thread in which I pointed out that Linus is paying for views and this proves it. I was berated in that thread and called a troll. This is a much different place than when I visited one year ago I am very disappointed in Linus and his new "community"

Keep taking your meds.   Nothing has changed.   As someone has already explained to you the content has always been a mix.  

22 hours ago, LinusTech said:

And to address the accusations we are buying views, do you have ANY idea how much it costs to BUY views on YouTube??? 

We've experimented with it to boost our audience size in developing markets like India, but as far as we can tell even over there, where the CPMs are much lower its a TERRIBLE approach unless your video exists only to sell a service or product (a la Tai Lopez) 

Thank you Linus for admitting the truth, I knew it as soon as I saw it. Also did you see my post about proper VESA installation, you may want to update your video.

Which video? The attempt to resurrect Intel's bumped CPU? What's terrible about it? So it didn't work.

Everyone from the normies world would laugh when I tried baking MXM GPU module from laptop because GeForce on it died. But it worked. From locking up laptop with checkerboard pattern across screen, it worked perfectly after the baking. Sometimes you try stupid things and they sometimes work. And sometimes they don't.

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Which video? The attempt to resurrect Intel's bumped CPU? What's terrible about it? So it didn't work.

Everyone from the normies world would laugh when I tried baking MXM GPU module from laptop because GeForce on it died. But it worked. From locking up laptop with checkerboard pattern across screen, it worked perfectly after the baking. Sometimes you try stupid things and they sometimes work. And sometimes they don't.

This is the video I am referring to, it started a huge controversy online when he failed to use the proper VESA mount which is required for a TV above 6  feet. It poses a falling hazard to a child or little person.

14 hours ago, drinklime said:

Thank you Linus for admitting the truth, I knew it as soon as I saw it. Also did you see my post about proper VESA installation, you may want to update your video.

Had enough and I have to ask is this account even real u have to be taking the piss. I just totally cannot even rn.