Rent to own battery vending machine?

Ryanwake

Rent to own battery vending machine?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rent to own battery vending machine?

• Yes, I would like to see them everywhere
    • No, go home your drunk
    • Maybe, I like the idea but I would buy 1 off Amazon looking normal person

Everyone needs batteries and ninety-nine percent of people have owned battery Bank.

Probably a higher percentage of people here, know the importance of a high-quality battery Bank, but how many do you want to pay for a quality one, especially if you don't know if you actually need it.

U could get these batteries

*$2 3000 milliamp hour batteries,

*$5 5,000 milliamp hour batteries

*$10 battery or $1 a month for 12 months or $2 for 5month

*$20 battery $2 a month for a year

*Ect

and returning them will give you back 80% of what you paid if they are still in good condition.

a lot of people have more than one device or at least one that doesn't last all day, but a lot of you knows what it feels like walk into Walmart buy a battery Bank and realize that it's dead so you still have to wait till you get home to charge your phone anyway.

You could get fancy batteries, like a Nintendo switch battery case shipped to you and u can return it to the vending machine.

also you can get fancy batteries with full outlets on them.

All of them can be returned for an 80% refund if you don't need them anymore.

And before you get a refund, the next coustmer will have to grade you battery in person at the vending machine.

And I would make sure that all available batteries had there certifications listed by the vending machine not the manufacturer.

plus if you are swapping out your batteries instead of charging them for 6 hours every night, you would great enough batteries to rank up your account and get more discounts.

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Or you know you could just buy a battery bank?

The point is you can get a high-quality battery Bank for $5 a month, and return it if u don't use it enough.

Plus they would be on the $5 battery Banks that u could buy quickly and swap out in less than 30 seconds.

You know if you're stranded without a phone charger

Seriously why does everyone hate the idea of vending machines, and you're telling me you've never been in a situation where you've needed one quickly.

Plus nine times out of 10 the batteries you buy at Walmart are not charged

2 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

The point is you can get a high-quality battery Bank for $5 a month, and return it if u don't use it enough.

Plus they would be on the $5 battery Banks that u could buy quickly and swap out in less than 30 seconds.

Then at that point you invest into a 15$ 5000mAh bank.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Or I could buy an Anker one for $30 and it bee good for the next few years.

1 minute ago, Ryanwake said:

1) you don't need to spend $80 to get a good battery back

2) if you need to finance in order to afford an $80 product then you definitely should not be buying $80 battery banks

3) there already are tech stores that offer financing for people who make horrible financial decisions

4) if you don't have a phone charger then ask someone who does, or use one of those free charging stations in public places which cost $0.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Buying a battery bank from a vending machine would be an impulse buy spurred by a phone that's about to die IMO. I really doubt anybody would want a subscription to a battery bank. 

This just creates waste in the world. It'd be better to have a fast-charging station at the gas pump or restroom or wherever to charge your phone while you do nothing. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Encouraging people to rely on portable power banks is going to cripple smartphones even worse than they already are. Major manufacturers would take the rise of battery bank vending machines as an excuse to start putting 1000mAh batteries that last 2 hours into phones. Please do not do that.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Then at that point you invest into a 15$ 5000mAh bank.

U can get that for $10 or less I mean a high quality 15000 mAh, that don't us standard lithium ion, there's a similar battery Technology that's less space efficient it's more stable and last longer.

And if you want one that supports the latest charging speeds in multiple ports, then you'll be paying $45, and for a capacity above 10,000 mah

Another thing I want to add here is that renting a battery bank in the long run is going to be more expensive than just buying one. And as mentioned above, you don't need to spend a whole lot to get a good one.

This would be pretty pointless.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Another thing I want to add here is that renting a battery bank in the long run is going to be more expensive than just buying one. And as mentioned above, you don't need to spend a whole lot to get a good one.

This would be pretty pointless.

The other vending machine should be able to Benchmark the battery, and take pictures.

And as long as the battery isn't a different battery or isn't damaged, the value shouldn't go down very much.

Normal people are BRUTAL on batteries.  I know people that can kill a few batteries a month due to drops and broken ports.

Also, you end up with a situation like the rent-a-bike crisis in China.  Batteries as far as the eye can see.

These are already a thing. However, I wouldn't trust a random battery bank that countless other people have used because who knows what they've done with it or how they've used it.

So either they'd have to be built like tanks and be expensive, or they'd have be the equivalent of buying cheap Chinese knockoffs and risk having a battery explosion to generate a reasonable amount of profit.

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) you don't need to spend $80 to get a good battery back

2) if you need to finance in order to afford an $80 product then you definitely should not be buying $80 battery banks

3) there already are tech stores that offer financing for people who make horrible financial decisions

4) if you don't have a phone charger then ask someone who does, or use one of those free charging stations in public places which cost $0.

*This isn't financial help, I'm just saying that I want to buy and $80 power bank but I don't want to risk $80 if I don't use it enough.

I've got a $10 eBay power bank and I use it enough, but it's not big enough to charge multiple phones, and it doesn't fast charge.

* you don't have to get $80 power bank, you can get a $30 power bank and only pay $2 a month rent.

You can return it even after you pay the full price, say for example you go to college and your phone does not last all day.

maybehave multiple devices, you can get the big power bank and return it in a week for a medium power bank.

Or you're stranded at Walmart, you can get a guaranteed charged battery in 30 seconds for $2

9 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

U can get that for $10 or less I mean a high quality 15000 mAh, that don't us standard lithium ion, there's a similar battery Technology that's less space efficient it's more stable and last longer.

And if you want one that supports the latest charging speeds in multiple ports, then you'll be paying $45, and for a capacity above 10,000 mah

https://www.amazon.com/25000mAh-Portable-Capacity-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B07KYGZ6WC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZHVVFRHVFZSR2YY09YFH

I have one of those in my laptop bag. Also my laptop works as a big battery bank (97Wh i think)

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

Who would buy anything but crap cheap stuff from a vending machine? A battery bank at 20 000 mAh is not more than 30 bucks here anyway.

We don't need argue about what battery bank is better, I'm just saying it's for convenience.

Plus you have a no-risk option to get a fancy power bank that charges multiple devices, and then decide you don't need it in a week and return it.

Plus you can get a nice $20 power bank used easily

You can already pay monthly, it's called paying with a credit card and only giving the minimum monthly payment.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, Ryanwake said:

*This isn't financial help, I'm just saying that I want to buy and $80 power bank but I don't want to risk $80 if I don't use it enough.

I've got a $10 eBay power bank and I use it enough, but it's not big enough to charge multiple phones, and it doesn't fast charge.

* you don't have to get $80 power bank, you can get a $30 power bank and only pay $2 a month rent.

You can return it even after you pay the full price, say for example you go to college and your phone does not last all day.

maybehave multiple devices, you can get the big power bank and return it in a week for a medium power bank.

Or you're stranded at Walmart, you can get a guaranteed charged battery in 30 seconds for $2

where can you buy a fucking 80$ power bank? is it gold plated or something? is it a laptop bank?

hell this can jump start a car and its 40$.

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-RAVPower-Portable-External-Flashlight/dp/B0761TDBSX/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1548716686&sr=1-3&keywords=car+starter+power+bank

this is 13$

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Poweradd-Compact-External-Portable/dp/B00KG45W08/ref=sr_1_4_acs_osp_osp48-0bd3b949_cov_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1548716710&sr=1-4-acs&keywords=power+bank&tag=spyonsite-20&ascsubtag=0bd3b949-9fea-4e0c-9bd3-f9373fe9692d&linkCode=oas&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.0bd3b949-9fea-4e0c-9bd3-f9373fe9692d&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&pd_rd_wg=GSnOO&pf_rd_p=7f6b8bb9-631f-46f6-b8ad-496a9af123d5&pd_rd_r=f6e62046-0443-4300-bec4-c1350b89f1e3&pf_rd_r=DDN8GMR3F1ANG3QPK89T&pd_rd_w=n66Zd&creativeASIN=B00KG45W08&pd_rd_r=f6e62046-0443-4300-bec4-c1350b89f1e3&pf_rd_p=7f6b8bb9-631f-46f6-b8ad-496a9af123d5&pf_rd_r=DDN8GMR3F1ANG3QPK89T&pd_rd_wg=GSnOO&pd_rd_i=B00KG45W08&pd_rd_w=n66Zd

This is done in a few countries with electric scooter / motorbike batteries.  You subscribe to their service and you simply travel to a store or location that has a rack of batteries, tap a screen with your phone and the screen tells you which battery to pull out of the shelves and where to  put your current scooter/bike battery (if not the same compartment).  The system automatically checks the old battery and starts charging it when you slide it inside the compartment) - if you don't put the old battery your account gets charged with the price of a battery, otherwise you pay only for the charge or a monthly subscription..

It makes sense, since the locations also serve as a second purpose, to recharge.

With power banks it would be more difficult, you'd have to hire staff to collect the batteries at the end of each day, optionally clean them, charge them up with dedicated machines and get them back to stores, have to deal with loss, have to deal with batteries that degrade after 500-1000 charges, have to deal with banks that are too scratched or corroded (from humidity), that are damaged (bent jacks etc), have to deal with people that will open the banks and remove the batteries and return the batteries at the store with sand in them or other crap, basically this business has too many costs to make sense. 

With the scooter batteries those have a specific shape and batteries have serial numbers (can be something as simple as a NFC tag or radio tag) and the rack auto tests the batteries and if they're faulty they're put aside for replacement and your account would get billed if you try to fake the system

Power banks are too generic and simple and difficult to implement tracking and would be too much "friction" to ask people to also create an account to rent a power bank for a few dollars a month.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

This is interesting I haven't looked into this in over a year, batteries are sure cheaper and I'm sure it was on his part of that.

But you don't have to pay thirty bucks for this battery you can pay $2 a month for this battery.

Not because the person is poor because they might not have cash on them, they might want to return it and get a cheaper battery.

Maybe they have a tablet and a Nintendo switch they want to charge on a plane, then u can get a fancy $80 battery and return it after vacation.

This is interesting I haven't looked into this in over a year, batteries are sure cheaper and I'm sure it was on his part of that.

But you don't have to pay thirty bucks for this battery you can pay $2 a month for this battery.

Not because the person is poor because they might not have cash on them, they might want to return it and get a cheaper battery.

Maybe they have a tablet and a Nintendo switch they want to charge on a plane, then u can get a fancy $80 battery and return it after vacation.

why not just have a bunch of those phone charging stations for free?

free to the user? and there are power ports on a plane btw.

Spoiler

Image result for phone charging station free

Spoiler

Image result for phone charging station free

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

where can you buy a fucking 80$ power bank? is it gold plated or something? is it a laptop bank?

hell this can jump start a car and its 40$.

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-RAVPower-Portable-External-Flashlight/dp/B0761TDBSX/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1548716686&sr=1-3&keywords=car+starter+power+bank

Okay that's a little too hostile, I was just saying you could get a fancy battery even if you don't need it without risking $80.

You might get something like this on vacation, or maybe your phone and Nintendo switch doesn't last all day.

But if you decide you don't need it you can give it back and get a cheaper battery.

It's like Redbox you don't have to pay $60 for a movie if you're not going to keep it, just $6 to keep it for a weekend.

Everyone needs batteries and it should be easy and convenient to get them.

It doesn't have to be a vending machine it could be a whole store where you swap batteries instead of charge them.

But you can put a vending machine in front of a gas station.

3 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

If they have enough cash to buy electronics, they certainly have enough cash to set aside $30 for a battery bank. Or you know, they could figure out how to ration the charge on their devices or strategize being near a source of power so they aren't as dependent on battery banks.

While I have one, I almost never use it. The only time I use it is because I'm at a convention where I don't have readily available access to a mains socket.

3 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

Except the Switch is not USB C compliant. You could potentially cause damage to the battery or the Switch if you don't use a charger that's capable of handling its quirks.