Where do all of those cheap eBay workstation computers come from?

pangaea

I strongly suspect that the US government or a contractor company like Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, etc is somehow selling them in bulk to those eBay sellers. They're also people who would probably not mind spending the money to upgrade frequently. I've noticed some have stickers that say stuff like "US Government Unclassified" and that many are sold at an extra discount because they don't come with a hard drive (which would be logical for security reasons if they were used by the military or something). They're great for converting into budget gaming or general use computers and you get a lot of bang for your buck; the laptops also tend to be more user-serviceable than the more consumer-ish laptops out there right now. They're great buys for tech savvy cheapskates like me but I'm just curious what the original source is exactly.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

1 minute ago, pangaea said:

I strongly suspect that the US government or a contractor company like Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, etc is somehow selling them in bulk to those eBay sellers. They're also people who would probably not mind spending the money to upgrade frequently. I've noticed some have stickers that say stuff like "US Government Unclassified" and that many are sold at an extra discount because they don't come with a hard drive (which would be logical for security reasons if they were used by the military or something). They're great for converting into budget gaming or general use computers and you get a lot of bang for your buck; the laptops also tend to be more user-serviceable than the more consumer-ish laptops out there right now. They're great buys for tech savvy cheapskates like me but I'm just curious what the original source is exactly.

What class of computers are you talking about exactly? Are you talking about like HP Compaq 8300s, or like the Dell Optiplex 790?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I want to see specifics. Ebay links are banned, but mainly for the reason of trying to push stuff you're selling. Just give some screenshots. 

Also yea, typically government or not workstations are cheaper as they're dumped. Like dell precisions and optiplex systems are dumped in mass for cheap for example. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

Ebay links are banned, but mainly for the reason of trying to push stuff you're selling.

If it's to something relevant to the discussion(linking some Optiplexes in this case), they are allowed.

The reason business computers are so cheap and get dumped all at once is due to the way companies and corporations tend to upgrade their systems en masse, rather than do it in small increments.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

If it's to something relevant to the discussion(linking some Optiplexes in this case), they are allowed.

The reason business computers are so cheap and get dumped all at once is due to the way companies and corporations tend to upgrade their systems en masse, rather than do it in small increments.

that's kinda what I mean by that, but I've been hit with that for no reason so I just keep it safe. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What class of computers are you talking about exactly? Are you talking about like HP Compaq 8300s, or like the Dell Optiplex 790?

I bought a Lenovo w540 a while back that's mentioned in my signature. I also bought a Dell M6500 laptop and 2 toughbooks throughout college (I remember one of those being marked with a green "US Government Unclassified" sticker). A really long time ago we had a couple of Dell Xeon PCs in my house, one of which had one of those green stickers. eBay currently has a lot of HP Z4000, Dell Precision T3500, and similar models 

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD

lol the gov need to make some of there money back haha. i bet they don't have to pay ebay fee's lol

14 minutes ago, pangaea said:

When a company brings new computers online, the old ones have to go somewhere. A few (relatively speaking) will be kept as backups, but most will make their way to systems refurbishers, either via auction or by direct sale. Those systems refurbishers place them on eBay typically with minimal work done to them beyond making sure they boot and maybe installing a hard drive. When you're talking about a Fortune 500 company, you're probably talking about north of 1,000 systems being decommissioned at a time. In the largest of the large, it's frequently 10,000+ at a time. Now consider that every college out there is running boatloads of Optiplexes, state and local governments have thousands of desktops in circulation, and the federal government is swimming with them.

If someone has pockets deep enough to buy a pallet of 100 systems for around $2,000, the profit margin is huge--but it's going to take a long, long time to clear all of those out, and if you have to install RAM or hard drives that's going to eat up profit. If you don't have a Windows COA on the computer, that's going to lower the resale price. Condition is king, too. Two identically-specced Optiplex 790s will sell for wildly different prices if one's clean and the other is scuffed up, missing rubber feet, etc. Those systems also have higher than normal return rates because it's totally impractical for a reseller to photograph and list every system individually, so they'll grab a couple of representative samples and state that the other computers are in similar condition. "Similar" is a relative term, and it's not unusual for buyers to initiate a return because there was a scratch or a scuff somewhere not in the pictures, and people don't understand what "representative" means.

So, tl;dr, if you can afford to do it in volumes of 1,000+ PCs, can afford to add hard drives and RAM and take a higher than normal return hit, there's good money in flipping retired office units. If you can't afford the volume or hits to your profit margin, do something else with your life.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

35 minutes ago, Stringer18 said:

lol the gov need to make some of there money back haha. i bet they don't have to pay ebay fee's lol

their*

Literally any company with more than like 50 employees would be using said computers

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I’m guessing the likes of that company Linus couldn’t buy anything from in Scrapyard Wars (7?)

I really felt sorry for that guy on the phone.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz