Apple Sued After Magsafe Adapter Lights Owner On Fire

iamdarkyoshi
On 1/11/2019 at 6:06 AM, williamcll said:

I kind of like magsafe.

it's saved my MacBooks from falling to death a few times. 

She/Her

mmm Apple Pie

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

On 1/10/2019 at 10:29 PM, D13H4RD said:

Meanwhile, I modified my Lightning cable to stop it from fraying. 

epoxy

On 1/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, D13H4RD said:

Meanwhile, I modified my Lightning cable to stop it from fraying. 

I took my cable back to apple and they fixed it by selling me a new mac.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 1/10/2019 at 4:53 PM, Enderman said:

So was it actually the magsafe that caused the spark or was it the damaged cable?

Because those are two completely different things.

The latter is the fault of the user.

Damaged cable. Exasperated by the fact she was using an oxygen mask. 

Talk about extenuating circumstances. 

On 1/10/2019 at 4:58 PM, manikyath said:

it's not the magsafe tho.. it's the shyte cables they decided to attach to said magsafe.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, Blademaster91 said:

To be fair it doesn't have anything to do with magsafe, Apple's cables fraying apart is a known thing since they use flimsy cheap garbage insulation.

Can't wait for all the "LTT is a bunch of Apple haters reeeee" comments.

*Looks at my 13 year old magsafe adapter*..... What?

A damaged cable indicates misuse and should have been fixed by the user. 

That said, this is some final destination bullshit. ;) 

34 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

yes and no.

there's a whole spectrum between the ultimate careful people, and absolute orcs. apple's cables just seem to be more suceptible to wearing out from fatigue than many "competitors", that's not meant as a blatant remark against apple, it's just that with the design requirements they set for their products, this just becomes an issue when paired with some of the kinds of people who buy macbooks. you know, the "it still works" sort of people who rather wiggle an obviously broken connector rather than buy a new $60 charger for their $2000 laptop.

and it's not just apple that suffers from this, just in case you're trying to shove me on the apple hater pile.. microsoft has some pretty shining examples of this issue too, and there's two entire generations of console game controllers that suffer from the exact same flaw, manifesting in different ways. it just so happens that apple's most blatant example of this issue is their chargers, which do carry quite the smack if you short that out.

"face and skull" Lmao, bull shit rhetoric to sensationalize user fault. It's an old ass magsafe charger, the insulation probably split a long time ago and the user thought it was fine. At this rate all of our food is going to have choking hazard labels stuck on them.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

"face and skull" Lmao, bull shit rhetoric to sensationalize user fault. It's an old ass magsafe charger, the insulation probably split a long time ago and the user thought it was fine. At this rate all of our food is going to have choking hazard labels stuck on them.

there's a point to educating the users of oxygen masks about how oxygen is a great tool in starting a fire.. and the hazards of using it around potentialaly damaged electronics.

i mean.. just the charger arcing over isnt a severe issue in most cases.. add a shit ton of oxygen? yeah.. we got fire.

10 minutes ago, MagneticSalty said:

Better keep this away from any oxygen tanks I guess.

IMG_20190114_160521324.jpg

What on earth did you do? Repeatedly shove it up your ass? 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's a point to educating the users of oxygen masks about how oxygen is a great tool in starting a fire.. and the hazards of using it around potentialaly damaged electronics.

i mean.. just the charger arcing over isnt a severe issue in most cases.. add a shit ton of oxygen? yeah.. we got fire.

It's like a portable incendiary grenade. The fault lies in the users hands not Apple and if we're gonna talk about educating users then should be left up to the medical personnel that have provided the user with the device. Though, basic kindergarten science will tell you fire eats oxygen...

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

thats kinda what happens if you use apple's cables A LOT.. my ipod's cable looked like that after a few years too, and i'm a pretty gentle user.

Just now, corrado33 said:

I think it frayed a couple years ago so I taped it with electrical tape and then it just became worse over time. I didn't look at it too much because my macbook just sits in one place most of the time nowadays, but now I'm taking a look at it and there's blue stuff under the tape. I may need to get a new one.

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

It's like a portable incendiary grenade. The fault lies in the users hands not Apple and if we're gonna talk about educating users then should be left up to the medical personnel that have provided the user with the device. Though, basic kindergarten science will tell you fire eats oxygen...

i think apple's primarily eating the punch because of the current talks of apple's seemingly purposeful manufacturing flaws in laptops and inability to even repair the simplest of issues.

2 minutes ago, MagneticSalty said:

I think it frayed a couple years ago so I taped it with electrical tape and then it just became worse over time. I didn't look at it too much because my macbook just sits in one place most of the time nowadays, but now I'm taking a look at it and there's blue stuff under the tape. I may need to get a new one.

if there's no fraying of the outer conductor, and if it's mostly stationary anyways, you may as well just put some ducktape around the first 2-3 inches of the cable to keep it perfectly rigid. kept my ipod going like that for at least a year ?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i think apple's primarily eating the punch because of the current talks of apple's seemingly purposeful manufacturing flaws in laptops and inability to even repair the simplest of issues.

It also doesn't help that the plaintiff probably looks like freddy kruger with an oxygen mask on.

The Louvre

49 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if there's no fraying of the outer conductor, and if it's mostly stationary anyways, you may as well just put some ducktape around the first 2-3 inches of the cable to keep it perfectly rigid. kept my ipod going like that for at least a year ?

Eh, I'd personally go for liquid electrical tape then slip some really nice "high ratio" heat shrink tubing over the end and shrink it down over top of the liquid electrical tape (once dry.) Then I'd slip another piece of high ratio heat shrink covering not only the wire, but also the back of the connector to stabilize it. 

21 hours ago, Canada EH said:

epoxy

Protect the whole cable, make it the Magsafe Charging Stick.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 hours ago, corrado33 said:

If by misuse you mean plugging it in to charge then yes, lots have suffered that. I have two here that never left my bench and look exactly like all the others, the sheath was made from a material that disintegrates from the sweat on your fingers. 

In fact, apple have had quite a disgusting run with cables, from the early ones perishing to the latter one cracking and fraying. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

In fact, apple have had quite a disgusting run with cables, from the early ones perishing to the latter one cracking and fraying. 

Pretty much the only Apple cables I like are the iMac power cable and the macbook charger extender cable. Their USB-C cable seems thicker, so maybe they're making a bit of progress there.

28 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If by misuse you mean plugging it in to charge then yes, lots have suffered that. I have two here that never left my bench and look exactly like all the others, the sheath was made from a material that disintegrates from the sweat on your fingers. 

Must be your experience. Also you shouldn't be touching the cable unless you're winding it up. I think the real problem is that people yank the magsafe off their computer WITH the cable instead of grabbing the head of the magsafe itself, like you should. Plus you could... you know... .clean your cables once in a while to deal with the "react with sweat on your fingers" problem.

Or... wash your hands...

13 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Must be your experience. Also you shouldn't be touching the cable unless you're winding it up. I think the real problem is that people yank the magsafe off their computer WITH the cable instead of grabbing the head of the magsafe itself, like you should. Plus you could... you know... .clean your cables once in a while to deal with the "react with sweat on your fingers" problem.

Or... wash your hands...

Apple cables aren't nearly as bad as they are made out to be -- most people manage to burn through all cables -- Apple and non-Apple alike. But, Apple cables definitely do use a more damage prone soft-touch insulating jacket. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

A flash fire engulfed Manzi's "face and skull in flames,"

Time to pay Tim Crook.

ghost-rider.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB