How should I go about finding new music?

mxk

So, I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop music and mainstream rap/hip-hop isn't really where my tastes are at. There's mainstream, popular stuff that I do like but a lot of it is just thoughtless triplet flow shit, or generic flow. I usually listen to the Spotify weekly playlist, and I've found a lot of underground artists or songs that I like from it, but this week, I'm listening through and it's pretty bad. I think Spotify overshot and gave me a lot of really really hard underground rap and it's pretty bad. Is there anyway that any of you find music you like? I'm having trouble finding the sweet spot where my taste in rap seems to be.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Apple Genius is pretty good.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Apple Genius is pretty good.

Oof. I don't own anything apple that's current.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

usually spotify is my go to for finding new music bc on desktop app they have a page where all new albums are shown and of course there's their curated playlists too with new music.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

12 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Oof. I don't own anything apple that's current.

iTunes still works fine on a PC. 

Spotify works well, you'll need to add everything you listen to... to one playlist. (I personally separate them by month)

You can browse the thread of what people are listening too currently and see if anything catches your fancy

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

For Spotify it may take a bit more training. So in your discover weekly if there are songs you don't like be sure to mark it as such. When your on the album art page on the right side next to the next track button mark that you don't like the song or the artist. Once you do that it should pop up that it wont play songs like that anymore. The Daily Mixes are decent too same concept though may need extra training. Pandora is also pretty great for finding new stuff even with just a free account as long as you don't mind commercials and limited skips per hour.

Generally speaking I find stuff through friends, family and even end titles of YouTube videos, recently found a group I'm really enjoying because I liked the sound of the song on the end of a YouTube video so try just asking around I spose is what I'm saying

17 minutes ago, LostElric said:

For Spotify it may take a bit more training. So in your discover weekly if there are songs you don't like be sure to mark it as such. When your on the album art page on the right side next to the next track button mark that you don't like the song or the artist. Once you do that it should pop up that it wont play songs like that anymore. The Daily Mixes are decent too same concept though may need extra training. Pandora is also pretty great for finding new stuff even with just a free account as long as you don't mind commercials and limited skips per hour.

Yeah, I use my chromebook plugged into my hi-fi set up, I don't usually use my phone. The web version of chrome hasn't been giving me ads on chromebooks only, I'm not really sure why. I can't mark songs I like or don't like on my chromebook for some reason, but it makes sense since Spotify would invest more time into the app. I guess I'll use my phone to train the algorithm then, and see how that works.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

I use search engine..like the best song for the last 10 years or whatever...but most of amazing song that i've heard and listen over and over are mostly an old timey song such as the beatless hey jude or blackbird or Led zeppelin song, Eric clapton, Jackson 5, or a country music, Etc

Sometimes i accidentally heard a song playing like at the mall or whatever and i am  too shy to ask about the song because i don't know them..or sometimes when i play video games the soundtrack really got me and i went to buy the CDs immediately.

Just recently i've stumbled upon this song on youtube and i've been listening to it over and over for weeks..a very calming beautiful song..

Spoiler

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

I use search engine..like the best song for the last 10 years or whatever...but most of amazing song that i've heard and listen over and over are mostly an old timey song such as the beatless hey jude or blackbird or Led zeppelin song, Eric clapton, Jackson 5, or a country music, Etc

Sometimes i accidentally heard a song playing like at the mall or whatever and i am  too shy to ask about the song because i don't know them..or sometimes when i play video games the soundtrack really got me and i went to buy the CDs immediately.

Just recently i've stumbled upon this song on youtube and i've been listening to it over and over for weeks..a very calming beautiful song..

Reveal hidden contents

now that I think of it, I've actually found a lot of songs I like from youtube's recommended section. I'll have to use that more.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

I usually get my recommendations from from friends. Those are usually the best taste makers a person can have.

The guys at your local record store are also great ressource. They probably listen to more music than most and can usually come up with some great recommendations.

There are also plenty of online resources to go to. For hip-hop you could make use of blogs like HipHopDX and Dead End Hip-Hop. Both also have YouTube channels.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Go to Billboard website, click on every year from the 1950's to current and get the top 100 for each year.

Then download the DISCOGRAPHY of the band or you can use the term AUDIOGRAPHY and you literally get every album they ever put out.

Definitely spotify... ?

Bought an i5, got an i7. Thanks Amazon.

Spoiler

Specs:

CPU: i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB | RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600 MHz | Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper | HDD: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | PSU: EVGA 750P2 80+ | Monitor: Acer 21.5" 1080p & Samsung 27" Curved 1080p | Keyboard & Mouse: Cooler Master Storm Octane Combo | Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech Z313 | OS: Windows 10 Home

4 minutes ago, Embroysia said:

Definitely spotify... ?

lol..

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

i use spotify and you tube to find my new music 

i also lately has changed from Rock music to Chillstep which is a complete 180  but well worth it 

good luck on your hunt 

Last.fm

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

YouTube mixes. 

Google. 

Asking people. 

Searching genre instead of song. 

Listening to artists’ while albums. 

Going to CC music websites & finding music by genre. 

Some good rap artists:

english

pink guy

hollywood undead

deuce

thugnificent

Dutch

EZG

German

Well if you create a google account, go to YouTube and just listen to the songs you like currently, and if on the homepage it recommends mainstream music, click “not interested” and eventually, it will figure it out

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

On 1/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, mxk. said:

now that I think of it, I've actually found a lot of songs I like from youtube's recommended section. I'll have to use that more.

Now try out YouTube's trending section.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, PhillipD said:

...I can't live well without music. It helps with my mood. Even enjoying songs while doing other tasks (working, ..., eating, before sleeping)

Deleted by poster.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 hours ago, PhillipD said:

Still loyal to Spotify. I can't live well without music. It helps with my mood. Even enjoying songs while doing other tasks (working, gaming on my special love mantigames, eating, before sleeping)

holy thread necro, people stopped commenting here over a month ago..

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

On 1/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, Big Boi Lime said:

Generally speaking I find stuff through friends, family and even end titles of YouTube videos, recently found a group I'm really enjoying because I liked the sound of the song on the end of a YouTube video so try just asking around I spose is what I'm saying

I do something similar.  There a few discord servers I hang out on that have music channels where folks post youtube links of music they are listening to or find interesting to share.  It is how I cam across a really catchy song called Hellbent by Mystery Skulls.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

you ever find anything? cause I was looking for the same sort of stuff

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2