What is the greatest game controller for pc use

Sammael

This can include controllers not yet officially supported.

the old xbox 360 controller?  the new one?

the ps4 controller?

a razer controller?

something else?

I know that SOME of you have tried them all, played scores of games and have deep and intimate knowledge about which is best, knowledge so time consuming that if that energy would have been put to something more productive, you could have learned a dozen languages.  But now, the time has finally come, to answer the question you were meant to answer.  What is the best controller.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I prefer Mouse and Keyboard but if I ever find myself using a controller it is normally an Xbox 360 wired controller.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I prefer Mouse and Keyboard but if I ever find myself using a controller it is normally an Xbox 360 wired controller.

I would have to say this is the same for me :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

PS2 controlla 

you can get an adapter on the cheaps (IIRC 5~8$) on Newegg. It's plug and play. 

Error: 410

KEYBOARD AND MOUSE MOTHAFUCKA AND 360 CONTROLLER FOR FPS GAMES

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I have an old Playstation usb adapter so you can use some of the old first jen playstation controllers, never found a reason to use it though. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

megadarkwood For president

YES

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Keyboard and mouse. But if you have to, the Microsoft wired Xbox 360 controller or a Razer Sabretooth (I used to own an Onza but the tension dials gave out after a year of significant tension. Loved everything else about it though).

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Xbox 360 wired controller.

Like really, it's probably one of the best controllers I've used for racing and fighting games on PC. I really want to try out the Steam Controller, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes out.

If you want a second option, I'd look at the new DS4 controller, I heard you can get most of the controller working, except the touchpad.

Mouse and Keyboard for the majority (especially with FPS).  Xbox 360 pad for 3rd person games like Alice Madness, Dark Souls, etc.  And a Logitech F310 used for its superior D-pad in retro style games like Rogue Legacy, Valdis Story, Risk of Rain, etc.

I will always choose my wired xbox 360 controller over anything else on the market.

Keep in mind I only use a controller for racing games.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

This can include controllers not yet officially supported.

the old xbox 360 controller?  the new one?

wait there is a new 360 controller? does it not suck as bad at the old wired one i have from when the 360 was new?

360 controller is the best i have used because of compatibility as others will not work in some games but the 360 controller works just the dpad and joyticks suck on mine lol (it kind of sucks in ducktales remastered but the default keyboard controls suck more in that game then the 360 controller)

I personally prefer m/k but for racing games I use a 360 controller. It just feels more ergonomic

Wired 360 controller is the best gamepad IMO. I don't like wireless but it should work fine too after its configured which is easy. I just hate dealing with dying batteries and it accidentally turning on my Xbox cause j use wireless controller for my console hahaha

PS4 controller!!! Download some software to use it. It's easy to download and it's easy to set up. Just plug in PS4 contoller via USB, then run the application. THe software makes the PS4 emulate a 360 controller, so everything works 100% and very well.. it's the best in my opinion because...

1. Ps4 controller it the best shaped console controller ever

2. You can use the touch pad to control your mouse. That way if you are using the contoller in a game, and you have to use your mouse and click on something. You just use the touchpad to move the courser and L! is left click and R1 is right click. That way you don't have to put down the controller and use your mouse. It's mostly best for you are gaming far away from your keyboard and mouse

It really is the best option mainly because of the touch pad. 

I got a PS4 controller a few weeks back. It is fecking awesome, best pad I've ever used. Easy to set up and totally worth the asking price. One thing to mention is that there is no micro USB charging cable included with the controller so make sure you have that.

For anything that's not a platformer, driving, fighting or hacking game, I use keyboard and mouse of course.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52pro.html

Plus

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/compedals.html

For everything else, there's Keyboard and mouse.

If a game is too lazily ported to the PC to have strong, reliable keyboard/mouse controls, it's not worth the time. 

Emulators and such, you can purchase adapters to use official controllers.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Xbox 360 wired, but i have tried every controller before the 360 on bf4....NES was painful, gamecube wasnt bad.

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

I have had real bad luck with razer controller.

Right trigger gets some lag unless i press it really hard. 

Finally decided to stop getting a replacement after 3 of them and just use one of my 360 controllers.

Hopefully XB1 controller is good when PC gets the support for it

Wired 360 controller for me, just wonderful in my large-ish hands. Though I'm very interested in trying out the steam controller.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

When I need a controller, for exa;ple to play split screen Portal 2 on my pc, I just use my old dualshock 3 controller with the wire, it works fine when it's emulated as being a 360 controller.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

For Battlefield the 360 controller, for every other game a ps3 controller. Smaller deadzone. 

A point of illustration, on the 360 I played call of duty at a 6 sensitivity with roughly 22 percent accuracy. On ps3, it was at 25 percent and a 10 sensitivity. This is for all CoD games. 360 takes the cake for battlefield because of where the d pad is positioned. It's inherently easier to quick switch important items like med bags, torch etc....

I should note I do use a ps4 controller right now, if that's any interest to you. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Mouse & keyboard for FPS but I do have a Xbox 360 wireless for most other things.

Not that I really play anything but FPS. 

My kids use the controller more than I do. Rayman & Need For Speed.

Nothing to see here - move along.