Password managers

so i hear that password managers are actually really good and i should look into one. Im not really sure what ones are considered good, secure, ect. As far as i am aware though anything beats saving them to google or writing them down to be snapped up or lost. 

What companies provide a good password managing software and can be used cross platform between IOS, WIN and Android? Also how do you access the programme, is it a singular password, fingerprint, what? 

Just looking for input, Johnny 5 me please!

^ if you get that reference (without google), I appreciate you.  

I personally use Dashlane. There's also LastPass. Both of those are subscription based.

You could use KeePass or Enpass as well, which are free (the Enpass mobile app isn't free).

8 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I personally use Dashlane. There's also LastPass. Both of those are subscription based.

You could use KeePass or Enpass as well, which are free (the Enpass mobile app isn't free).

lastpass and dashlane are the way to go cause they are so secure if you lose the password to the app even the company doesn't have the ability to break into it. at least thats what they say

1 minute ago, Turretgaming said:

lastpass and dashlane are the way to go cause they are so secure if you lose the password to the app even the company doesn't have the ability to break into it. at least thats what they say

But then you loose all them passwords, so its it just.... One password to rule them all? 

Just now, TokiToki said:

But then you loose all them passwords, so its it just.... One password to rule them all? 

with 2 phase athentication and yes basicly but only that one password can get in. you should watch the tech-quickie on the password managers or was it an ltt video. either way its worth a watch. 

3 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

with 2 phase athentication and yes basicly but only that one password can get in. you should watch the tech-quickie on the password managers or was it an ltt video. either way its worth a watch. 

Yeah i found it, but i wonder if any of them use fingerprint as a 2 way Authy, like you put password then scan fingerprint, i mean that would be ideal no? 

Just now, TokiToki said:

Yeah i found it, but i wonder if any of them use fingerprint as a 2 way Authy, like you put password then scan fingerprint, i mean that would be ideal no? 

last pass will use it on ios but idk about android

Like others already mention: LastPass, DashLine, KeePass.  If you want to go the extra mile, most of those will pair with a Yubico for two factor auth.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

39 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

Just looking for input, Johnny 5 me please!

No disassemble!

I use LastPass and I love it. The app lets you secure it with fingerprint authentication and you can force it to use 2FA each time you login iirc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

No disassemble!

I use LastPass and I love it. The app lets you secure it with fingerprint authentication and you can force it to use 2FA each time you login iirc.

God damn it you made me giggle. And that sounds perfect, thank you! Android support i suppose too. 

Just now, TokiToki said:

God damn it you made me giggle. And that sounds perfect, thank you! Android support i suppose too. 

Yup, I use Authy for my 2FA and LastPass for my password management.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yup, I use Authy for my 2FA and LastPass for my password management.

Any huge difference between Free and paid? 

No ones mentioned Roboform. Its what I use is it not secure or something?

Don't trust the computers of other people ("cloud"). Use KeePass.

Write in C.

You don't get any better than Bitwarden for a cloud password manager and you can't beat KeePass when it comes to an offline password manager. Offline is obviously far more secure, but if you want an online solution then open source is the way to go. Open source software is more likely to be secure since it will be analysed by infosec individuals.

9 minutes ago, SamuelJones said:

You don't get any better than Bitwarden for a cloud password manager and you can't beat KeePass when it comes to an offline password manager. Offline is obviously far more secure, but if you want an online solution then open source is the way to go. Open source software is more likely to be secure since it will be analysed by infosec individuals.

Yes i had looked into them, i must admit they do look very good, i was just unsure as to if i wanted to follow cloud or offline storage really. I don't want to do both if i can help it, apart from maybe 1 or 2 super secure passwords that i want to keep separate. But overall the ease of being able to log in across multiple devices is the sellpoint for me, mobile and PC. 

On 12/23/2018 at 12:05 AM, Dat Guy said:

Don't trust the computers of other people ("cloud"). Use KeePass.

Hey, i think the could would be more secure than my PC realistically. It might be mroe prone to attack, but the levle of resistance they have would be far beyond that i could achieve domestically. 

3 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

Hey, i think the could would be more secure than my PC realistically. It might be mroe prone to attack, but the levle of resistance they have would be far beyond that i could achieve domestically.  

I'm afraid that's incorrect. Especially in the case of KeePass. If you look at their features list then you will notice that the software supports the use of multiple keys - allowing you to use a master password and a key file. You can even prevent the password database from being opened by a Windows user account that isn't yours. You can achieve a much higher level of resistance by using an offline solution since you are in control of the data.

If you are seriously concerned with security then you'd choose an offline solution but most people want to be able to access their passwords on their mobile devices as well as their desktop or laptop, which means they end up using the cloud. In an offline solution, your master password cannot be breached in the same way, whereas when you use the cloud you are trusting the host to securely store all of your information. 

Anyway general advice for account security is to use random passwords of twenty characters or more and when possible, use 2FA.