Verizon admits Yahoo and AOL are failures and cuts over 10,000 jobs | RIP Verizon Media Group?

AlTech

ArsTechnica reports that Verizon is admitting that Yahoo and AOL are failures and are cutting over 10,000 jobs.

Ultimately this may mean that Oath, Verizon's media business which owns AOL and Yahoo, which is soon to be renamed to "Verizon Media Group" might face some serious issues and challenges.

Verizon is parting ways with 10,400 employees in "a voluntary separation program," despite the Trump administration providing a tax cut and various deregulatory changes that were supposed to increase investment in jobs and broadband networks. The cuts represent nearly seven percent of Verizon's workforce and were announced along with a $4.6 billion charge related to struggles in Verizon's Yahoo/AOL business division.

Verizon described the voluntary buyouts as well as ongoing Yahoo/AOL failures in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Tuesday. The buyouts affect "US-based management employees" in multiple business segments, not just Yahoo and AOL.

Verizon's Media business, branded Oath, has experienced increased competitive and market pressures throughout 2018 that have resulted in lower-than-expected revenues and earnings. These pressures are expected to continue and have resulted in a loss of market positioning to our competitors in the digital advertising business. Oath has also achieved lower-than-expected benefits from the integration of the Yahoo Inc. and AOL Inc. businesses.

As a result, Verizon said it "expects to record a non-cash goodwill impairment charge of approximately $4.6 billion ($4.5 billion after-tax) in the fourth quarter of 2018." Verizon previously estimated Oath's goodwill balance at $4.8 billion, so the $4.6 billion charge will wipe out nearly all of Oath's goodwill value.

Verizon, which had 152,300 employees at the end of Q3 2018, offered voluntary buyouts to 44,000 of those employees in September. Verizon said Monday that 10,400 employees are taking the buyout and will get "up to 60 weeks' salary, bonus, and benefits, depending on length of service."

Nearly half of the 10,400 will leave the company this month, and the rest will leave by June 2019. Verizon also said it will "record a severance charge in the range of $1.8 billion to $2.1 billion" in Q4 2018, mostly because of the voluntary buyouts, "but also as a result of other headcount reduction initiatives."

The over 10,000 employees who are leaving Verizon have voluntarily been let go and will be compensated.

So yeah, I'm not surprised AOL and Yahoo haven't been doing well although Oath also includes Tech Crunch and other websites.

What a shame, although I am completely against using browser history to target ads at users.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I still have a yahoo email haha

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The over 10,000 employees who are leaving Verizon have voluntarily been let go and will be compensated.

Either working for Verizon sucks or the compensation is too juicy to let go

17 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

VZ's severances are quite tasty.  Gal I know that worked for AOL for years was laid off this past summer; after being told she had one year to go.  So in other words: she was told in June, 2017 her job would be done in June, 2018.  Sent away with 1 year's(!) severance.

Annnnnd right into another job two months later.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

It took them this long to figure it out. Wow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It took them this long to figure it out. Wow.

Probably not. Both have a lot of IP that are useful for other Verizon businesses, but the actual companies have been so badly run for so long that there is little left to salvage from their actual projects. 

55 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

I don't think you know what voluntary means.

Resing now with 6 months of severance pay or get laid off in a few months with no severance. You are LUCKY to get the offer to leave early, and should take it unless you are 150% sure you will not get laid off.

Note: numbers was made up as a example.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Jesus that’s a huge amount of people 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

28 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

They learned nothing by analyzing what happened when Time Warner bought AOL? 

Funny.  It was AOL that bought Time Warner, not the other way around, but your point is still somewhat valid.  I was at AOL when it happened, and it was an unmitigated disaster from the word, "Go."  Every one of us pee-ons knew that it wouldn't work because of the severe culture clash and vastly different business models.  But the high-flying execs sitting in Dulles, VA (aka: Steve Case and Bob Pitman) were drooling over the thought of "owning" a massive media company like Time Warner.

Ha!

Not... so much.  The downward spiral began the moment the pen was lifted off the paper.  As a sign TW wasn't very happy with it, they sent every, single AOL employee a nice little gift bag.  It had "The Matrix" in it.  On VHS.  Sorta as a massive "FUCK YOU!" to us.  Looking back at it, I actually give them props for that one.

VZ's move for AOL several years ago was due to a specific video advertising tech AOL was working on.  I know one of the developers of said tech, and when VZ gobbled the company up, he and his co-workers were all brought into a conference room.  There, a rep from VZ told them all something to the effect of, "Don't worry about any news of severances or job cuts.  You guys are why we're here!"  And it was followed up with MASSIVE raises, stock, etc.  My friend was quite blown away and very $happy$, if you catch my drift.

The Yahoo thing was more of the same: advertising, advertising, advertising.  Trying to mush the two companies together wasn't going to work (ignore the VZ overlord part).  Simply from an East Coast/West Coast perspective, the two companies weren't going to meld very well.  And: no surprise they didn't.  Lots of bickering, lots of in-fighting, lots of turf wars, etc.

I saw the same thing when I was at AOL and we engulfed Netscape.  It didn't go so well for the Netscape folks; their work ethic and thought processes were entirely different from ours.  While I'm generalizing, the simple observation I made was that they were too worried about slipping out of the office to go enjoy the lovely weather in California vs busting their asses to get work done.   Which we did, in spades, here in Virginia.

Culture clash.  You can't sledgehammer two different companies together and expect a win; it doesn't work that way.  VZ should have known better.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

ArsTechnica reports that Verizon is admitting that Yahoo and AOL are failures and are cutting over 10,000 jobs.

Just for clarification's sake, Ars is incorrect.  This "10K buyout" is the same one that was offered a few months ago.  And it's all folks at Verizon, not AOL or Yahoo (formerly: Oath).  They're finally executing on the buy-out now, which is why this may be making news.  Even though it isn't.

image.png.a297e428a3ad36d4d9513f7eeaba0746.png

32 minutes ago, Johnny4990 said:

Isn't Engadget a part of Oath? 

Apparently yes.

image.png.5894e6e53880315fe7d4150292137893.png

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, DVA said:

YAHOO

Dunno why, but i just love that haha

Must remind me of younger times when life wasnt so shit =/

If only msn messenger survived /shedstear

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

3 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Dunno why, but i just love that haha

Must remind me of younger times when life wasnt so shit =/

If only msn messenger survived /shedstear

I remember seeing this on TV as a child as well... 

I might make this my text ringtone lol

Just now, DVA said:

I remember seeing this on TV as a child as well... 

Christ you guys are young'ns!

4 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Christ you guys are young'ns!

Whoa there, Grandpa ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 minute ago, Noctus said:

Whoa there, Grandpa ?

Get off my lawn!

Just now, Noctus said:

Whoa there, Grandpa ?

Back in my day we listened to banishes screeching to access the intertubes and we saw boobies one pixel at a time and that's the way we liked it, and if your momma picked up the phone your downloads was done!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Back in my day we listened to banishes screeching to access the intertubes and we saw boobies one pixel at a time and that's the way we liked it, and if your momma picked up the phone your downloads was done!

Umm, so did i lol. Just so happened those AOL adverts were on TV aswel ?