Project Fi Expands Its Reach

MarbleHornets
3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Just want to know, whats your Verizon cost and usage?

I personally use around 1.5 GB/m

Plan: Verizon L Plan (10Gb/m) = $52.60

Line: Smartphone Access - $20.00 x 2 phones = $40

Total: $92.60

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Plan: Verizon L Plan (10Gb/m) = $52.60

Line: Smartphone Access - $20.00 x 2 phones = $40

Total: $92.60

do you always use close to that 10GB a month?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

do you always use close to that 10GB a month?

I go between 9 and 10 gigs per month throughout the year. Months that are low the data rolls over and then the next month tends to be a little higher. So on and so forth.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

10$ per gig?! O.o

that better come with a butler to answer all messages received on the phone in your place

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

10$ per gig?! O.o

that better come with a butler to answer all messages received on the phone in your place

I mean that's pretty on par with other plans with set data (eg Verizon is 2GB for 30$ and $10 per gig after) and their plan doesn't charge you a full gig if you don't use it, as in if you use 0.5GB you get charged $5 and so on. Yet again, everyone seems to have different prices depending on their region, plan type, promotions, etc, but it's not that terrible of an option to keep in mind, but everyone's mileage will vary.

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

36 minutes ago, MarbleHornets said:

I mean that's pretty on par with other plans with set data (eg Verizon is 2GB for 30$ and $10 per gig after) and their plan doesn't charge you a full gig if you don't use it, as in if you use 0.5GB you get charged $5 and so on. Yet again, everyone seems to have different prices depending on their region, plan type, promotions, etc, but it's not that terrible of an option to keep in mind, but everyone's mileage will vary.

It's not bad, but what incentive is there to use Fi over something like Verizon, or the dominant carrier in your area who will presumably have better coverage? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

It's not bad, but what incentive is there to use Fi over something like Verizon, or the dominant carrier in your area who will presumably have better coverage? 

True, it's not the "be all, end all" best carrier out there, but it has its use cases I think. Say if you don't use that much data already and want to cut back on your bill or even if your data rate changes from month to month and you really want to spend on what you use, and it could be a pretty good backup phone or even if you travel internation since it doesn't have a plan nor charges you more using it abroad in over 170 different countries, even if you're not on wifi. So by far there's no single solution (I've had Verizon for years and I don't see myself switching anytime soon), but I do think there's a rising market of competitors and it's always good to see what's out there.

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

$40 CAD for 6GB of LTE Data for me, I loved Project Fi but the pricing needs to adjust

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Wait, people in the US don't get Wi-Fi calling normally?

Lol xD

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

10$ per gig?! O.o

Damn. That's kinda insane.

Here my 4GB plan used to cost £13 per month for sim only but my carrier dropped the price to £11 per month for sim only.

Cos competition :P.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Tbh I’d rather get Sprints Unlimited Basic plan. 

$60/line with unlimited Data/Talk/Text with 500MB of LTE Hotspot Data with unlimited 3G. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lol xD

It varies by carrier. Verizon has supported WiFi calling for....two to three years now I think. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lol xD

Most companies actually do offer it

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

I dont get this 

6 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Verizon is 40 dollars a line plus the plan capacity price... 270 dollars for a 12GB plan on 4 lines after fees and taxes.

does this mean 12gigs over 4 mobile phone numbers?

5 hours ago, 79wjd said:

So 4gb would be $70 on Verizon compared to $60 on Fi. 8gb would be $90 on Verizon vs $80 on Fi. And 2gb would be $55 compared to $40.

this sounds expensive if you have to pay $20 per mobile??

currently one our most expensive providers is giving us 15gig (+15gig bonus data) calls and texts included local/nationally for US$35.8115 per mobile phone.

and

60gig (+30gig bonus data) calls and texts included local/nationally for US$65.0441 per mobile phone.

i dont know if that means we are getting a better deal or not though, because i dont quite get how they are billing you.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

4 minutes ago, cretsiah said:

I dont get this 

does this mean 12gigs over 4 mobile phone numbers?

this sounds expensive if you have to pay $20 per mobile??

currently one our most expensive providers is giving us 15gig (+15gig bonus data) calls and texts included local/nationally for US$35.8115 per mobile phone.

and

60gig (+30gig bonus data) calls and texts included local/nationally for US$65.0441 per mobile phone.

i dont know if that means we are getting a better deal or not though, because i dont quite get how they are billing you.

I'm paying $20/line and then $50 for 4gb of shared data. So four lines comes out to $50+$20+$20+$20+$20=$130/month for 4gb (shared) for four lines. Alternatively, I could switch to an unlimited plan and pay $50/line and end up spending $200/month for unlimited data ($160/month for peak-times throttled unlimited) for four lines.

And yes, the US (I think NA in general) gets screwed with mobile service (especially when dealing with a top tier network like ATT or Verizon -- Sprint/TMobile offer better bang for your buck but don't really get cheaper, and then there are secondary networks like MetroPCS, which are cheaper, but still probably expensive compared to other countries).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

@79wjd just clarifying i think your "/line" = our "/mobile"

for arguments sake this would mean

line 1 = my mobile

line 2 = my wifes mobile

line 3 = my sons mobile

line 4 = my daughters mobile

then all data is shared between the 4 of them....

if so that really sucks

the above plans i gave were for a "post paid plan" ie pay for X allowances in advance and everything else above that gets billed in the next month.

our pre-paid plans (middle tier day-to-day same company)

(non shared - i dont think we really have them anymore)

- unlimited calls and texts

- 8gig data 

currently costs US$21.8912

so for the above we would get

4 lines = US$87.5648, 32gig data (non shared), unlimited text and calls on all 4. 

same tier most expensive 

single line

cost = US$43.7798

38gig data

unlimited text and calls (local/ national)

but landlines are seperate again

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

10USD per gb is quite expensive to me. I can get 5gb unlimited speed + unlimited data capped at 128kbs afterwards for 20 bucks here so Project Fi just isn't attractive enough for me to switch over.

Adding to that, Project Fi is ranting network from other existing mobile network provider. In case of any hiccups in the network, Project Fi's users will be at a lower priority. (At least that'll be the case afaik)

39 minutes ago, BananaInSandals said:

I can get 5gb unlimited speed

Who do you have?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

9 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

Who do you have?

Not in the U.S. China Mobile and other smaller mobile network companies here in Hong Kong provides rather cheap plans.

1 minute ago, BananaInSandals said:

Not in the U.S. China Mobile and other smaller mobile network companies here in Hong Kong provides rather cheap plans.

Good to know, but irrelevant in this thread because Fi is a US carrier. Your plan is not available in the US so you can't compare the two directly.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

17 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

Good to know, but irrelevant in this thread because Fi is a US carrier. Your plan is not available in the US so you can't compare the two directly.

The last time I checked Fi's site for availability, they showed HK is included. Not sure if it's their map screwing up or me being dumb.

10 minutes ago, BananaInSandals said:

The last time I checked Fi's site for availability, they showed HK is included. Not sure if it's their map screwing up or me being dumb.

Although Fi may be available in other countries, it's still based in the US. Though since they have coverage in your area, it might be an option for you. You have decided to go with a different provider because it's cheaper. That is completely fair.

Fi is aimed at US residents who might travel once in a while.

I'm an odd case. I purchased Fi in the states and recently moved to Japan. Still working great for me though!