Project Fi Expands Its Reach

MarbleHornets

Following Tuesday's speculation about Google's Wi-Fi first network, Project Fi is expanding its lineup of compatible phones and changing its name. The service, now dubbed Google Fi, will be available for certain Samsung and OnePlus phones, as well as iPhones -- though the latter will be in beta for the time being. Before Wednesday's announcement, Google Fi only worked with a small number of Android phones: four LG and Moto phones, and Google-branded devices such as Pixel and Nexus phones.

This is a good push for Google's network to finally be competitive with other more major carriers, although Google co-operating with Apple still seems to be a bit of a bumpy road.

And technically, a Fi SIM has always worked in an iPhone, provided you adjusted the data settings on the phone. But now Google is supporting iPhones directly for new customers, though it says that the support is in beta and requires “a few extra steps to get set up.” There will be a new Google Fi iOS app to help ease the process along. More specifically, you’l find that Visual Voicemail won’t work anymore, but iMessage will.

(Synopsis of how Google Fi works for those not familiar about it and pricing, neither of which seems to have changed since Project Fi

What makes Google Fi different to most major carriers is that it uses local Wi-Fi networks first (the same kind you set up at home, or connect to at a coffee shop or airport) to patch calls, send texts and browse the internet. If Wi-Fi coverage is not available or too weak, the network will then switch to US carriers T-Mobile, Sprint or US Cellular's networks.

...As for T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, these carriers do have similar services like Wi-Fi calling, but plans on Google Fi are generally cheaper, and any unused data you purchase for the month will be refunded back to you....But the real difference with Fi is the pricing model: it’s much simpler than what most other networks offer. It’s $20 for a phone line and $10 per gig of data you use — capped at $60 under a newer program it calls “Bill Protection.” The reason I like it is that you can get a data-only SIM, which costs no additional money per month beyond the data you use it on it.

I personally think it'll be cool to see if Google can catch up with some other larger carriers and it'll be interesting to see a company that is able to produce a phone and sell the service under the same brand, although lets hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the future. And although Google Fi does technically route your data through a VPN (a nice touch to those of us with privacy concerns), they do lack some features like RCS universal profiling and number sharing with LTE smart devices, I think it'll be defiantly something to consider in the future when this hopefully gets more fleshed out.

https://www.cnet.com/news/its-true-google-fi-now-available-for-iphones-samsung-and-oneplus-phones/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/28/18115264/google-fi-iphone-android-project-official

https://www.blog.google/products/project-fi/bringing-google-fi-more-people-android-and-ios/

https://fi.google.com/about/

Edit: Added sources from Google directly

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

$10 a gig is having a mean yarn. $20 for a phone line is a total joke too. You can't seriously have those as below median price

17 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

$10 a gig is having a mean yarn. $20 for a phone line is a total joke too. You can't seriously have those as below median price

I mean it's $10 a gig up to $60, and from there you stopped getting charged so for $80 unlimited data isn't that bad compared to a lot of other companies, especially given the fact your video resolution isn't capped, even if you go abover the $60 threshold and, plus the whole point of it is that you pay for as much as you use, and since the whole idea of it a cellular network based off of internet, a service most people have and even most people who have data plans still try to use, its not an impossible issue. I mean I've gone months not using data since I was primarily at home or work or somewhere I could use wifi at, yet I was still charged my full price for my phone bill compared to only $20 I could've been charged from Google Fi. I'm not saying this program is for everyone, or even the best one out there, but its not the worst either and could be a good alternative for others.

57 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Lol do you live in the US? Verizon is 40 dollars a line plus the plan capacity price... 270 dollars for a 12GB plan on 4 lines after fees and taxes. This one for that would be capped at 140 (so say 160 after fees and taxes), and that's assuming you actually used all that data.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I've been loving Fi. I'm usually connected to wifi all day long at work and home, so Ive so far averaged about 1.5 Gb a month in data, so $35 a month is a deal.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

19 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Lol do you live in the US? Verizon is 40 dollars a line plus the plan capacity price... 270 dollars for a 12GB plan on 4 lines after fees and taxes. This one for that would be capped at 140 (so say 160 after fees and taxes), and that's assuming you actually used all that data.

Far out that's ridiculous pricing. This should be regulated so much more in the US. 

26 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Keep in mind Google fi "unlimited" called bill protection throttles you at 15GB per user used or you have the choice to pay 10/GB after the 15

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Far out that's ridiculous pricing. This should be regulated so much more in the US. 

I wish. Now that iPhones are supported I am gonna try to convince my parents to switch to Fi. We currently are paying way more than we need to now that Fi is out for our phones.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

And although Google Fi does technically route your data through a VPN (a nice touch to those of us with privacy concerns)

This is a bit of an oxymoron. If you're concerned about privacy, Google is the last service you should rely on. And I bet they are routing all traffic through their data hoarding servers. So, you're preventing others from seeing your data, but you're giving it all to Google... Does that really improve anything?

1 hour ago, MarbleHornets said:

Google's Wi-Fi first network, Project Fi

Wow, just wow, its like the plague.

Google

VPN's are a must now a days!

35 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

That's for unlimited. Verizon also has shared data planw 2, 4, and 8gb plans. Which are $35, $50, and $70 respectively with a line fee of $20. So 4gb would be $70 on Verizon compared to $60 on Fi. 8gb would be $90 on Verizon vs $80 on Fi. And 2gb would be $55 compared to $40.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Keep in mind Google fi "unlimited" called bill protection throttles you at 15GB per user used or you have the choice to pay 10/GB after the 15

I mean... still way better than the alternatives atm.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

That's for unlimited. Verizon also has shared data plabs 2, 4, and 8gb plans. Which are $35, $50, and $70 respectively with a line fee of $20. So 4gb would be $70 on Verizon compared to $60 on Fi. 

No it isn't. I'm on a 12GB plan right now. With 4 users. I'm telling you what the bill is.

In any event... for those 4GB and smaller plans, Ting would be a better deal anyways (assuming your voice and texting usage is also as relatively low as your data).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean... still way better than the alternatives atm.

Yes I agree, just explaining the bill protection feature that everyone likes to call unlimited. I have been using Fi for over 3 years, and it has been great.

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Wow, just wow, its like the plague.

Google

VPN's are a must now a days!

Fi offers free VPN on all WiFi hotspots and offers full 100% VPN on all phone traffic. (Optional but free)

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Fi offers free VPN

The entire point of using VPN is to avoid Google selling information about where you surf on Google WiFi.

8 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

No it isn't. I'm on a 12GB plan right now. With 4 users. I'm telling you what the bill is.

Then you should switch to unlimited since you're paying unlimited pricing but on a grandfathered plan. I'm also on Verizon. The line access is $20 for 2,4, or 8gb plans plus the cost of the plan. While unlimited is a flat fee per line ($55 for a single line, and I think $45/line if you have four).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

The entire point of using VPN is to avoid Google selling information about where you surf on Google WiFi.

Ultimately the point seems to be privacy against T-Mobile or Sprint when you have to use data, and according to google "none of your information is tied to you or your phone number", but take that as you will from the company who you'll ultimately routing all of your data through. 

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

You are not locked into googles VPN, you can use your own. google just offers the service to protect people on unsecured public WiFi. the always on VPN helps with the services network jumping (they say).

1 hour ago, MarbleHornets said:

This is a good push for Google's network to finally be competitive with other more major carriers, although Google co-operating with Apple still seems to be a bit of a bumpy road.

(Synopsis of how Google Fi works for those not familiar about it and pricing, neither of which seems to have changed since Project Fi

I personally think it'll be cool to see if Google can catch up with some other larger carriers and it'll be interesting to see a company that is able to produce a phone and sell the service under the same brand, although lets hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the future. And although Google Fi does technically route your data through a VPN (a nice touch to those of us with privacy concerns), they do lack some features like RCS universal profiling and number sharing with LTE smart devices, I think it'll be defiantly something to consider in the future when this hopefully gets more fleshed out.

https://www.cnet.com/news/its-true-google-fi-now-available-for-iphones-samsung-and-oneplus-phones/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/28/18115264/google-fi-iphone-android-project-official

https://www.blog.google/products/project-fi/bringing-google-fi-more-people-android-and-ios/

You should add googles blog as a source. and the Fi about page.

https://fi.google.com/about/

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

You are not locked into googles VPN, you can use your own.

Yes, that is what I said.

I wonder what other sneaky moves Google has done. Like what comes to mind is that they may have their hands dipped in other area's unofficially.

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Thanks for the idea, done and done. 

Thought this was an international thing, oh well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I wish the pricing for these services (Xfinity mobile and Google Fi) was a little lower.  As it stands it's no cheaper than my current Verizon plan.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

I wish the pricing for these services (Xfinity mobile and Google Fi) was a little lower.  As it stands it's no cheaper than my current Verizon plan.

Just want to know, whats your Verizon cost and usage?

I personally use around 1.5 GB/m