Philips Hue is a RIPOFF

jakkuh_t

Finally a competitor for both LIFX and Philips Hue bulbs that isn't going to break the bank - Yeelight

Buy Philips Hue Bulbs:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVb6

Buy LIFX Bulbs:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVbQ

Buy Yeelight Bulbs:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVbr
On AliExpress: https://lmg.gg/8KVbb 

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

There will always be more RGB...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I just bought 2 cheap bulbs for like $20 that have a remote, works perfectly fine.

also who is "schooww" "mee"?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Have you guys tried TP Link? I have two of there bulbs and they work great. No hub require. Just a wifi connection. Also works with Alexa and Google Assistant.

CPU: I9-9900k CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz Dual Channel Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Soundcard: Sound BlasterX AE-7 Capture Card: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1TB SSD Storage Drives: WD BLACK SN750 NVME 1TB SSD WD Blue 1TB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2 WD Blue 500GB SSDs Blu-Ray Drive: Pioneer BDR-2207 Power Supply:  Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD 850W 80+ Platinum Case: Cooler Master HAF X OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

There will always be more RGB...

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

Hue works with aura. We need the rgb synced Linus. We do

Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

Plllluuuu-sneeeeeze no rgb hachooooooooooooooooo

53 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I just bought 2 cheap bulbs for like $20 that have a remote, works perfectly fine.

also who is "schooww" "mee"?

$20 is dipping into the Beer Fund, but doesnt seem bad price. Two choices, you know which one I choose ;)?

50 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

Have you guys tried TP Link? I have two of there bulbs and they work great. No hub require. Just a wifi connection. Also works with Alexa and Google Assistant.

WOW at technology, gotta be expensive!

We do see them 90's revival every now and then with neon lights on vehicles. Makes me want to gag and puke a bit everytime I see them.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

Safe this poor man. He thinks rgb is something that shouldn't exist. Let us have unicorn dump around the room

11 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

$20 is dipping into the Beer Fund, but doesnt seem bad price. Two choices, you know which one I choose ;)?

WOW at technology, gotta be expensive!

We do see them 90's revival every now and then with neon lights on vehicles. Makes me want to gag and puke a bit everytime I see them.

I don't know if that was a stab at TP Link. But there bulbs are pretty good. You can find them in Walmart.

CPU: I9-9900k CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz Dual Channel Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Soundcard: Sound BlasterX AE-7 Capture Card: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1TB SSD Storage Drives: WD BLACK SN750 NVME 1TB SSD WD Blue 1TB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2 WD Blue 500GB SSDs Blu-Ray Drive: Pioneer BDR-2207 Power Supply:  Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD 850W 80+ Platinum Case: Cooler Master HAF X OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TigerClaw said:

stab at TP Link

stab at nothing but I will check TP out now

TP-Link, is a Chinese manufacturer of computer networking products based in Shenzhen, Guangdong, China.

Interesting

I like the idea, its the new age "clap on, clap off" outlet.

Posted this as a comment on the video itself but thought I would copy it over here too as a slight counter point to what is said in the video

One thing I feel they failed to mention in this video is actual lifespan of the bulbs in general. According to the Aliexpress page for the Yeelight bulbs they are rated as lasting 9,000 hours, Philips Hue bulbs are rated as lasting 25,000 hours (according to Philips, and only their second generation onward, first gen is 15,000) which is 2.8 times longer than the Yeelight, and the LifX bulbs are rated at 40,000 hours (according to LifX) which is 4.4 times longer than Yeelight.

Taking that into consideration with both Hue and LifX builbs costing only around 2.2-2.3 times more than the Yeelight (based on UK amazon prices right now) that is actually showing them at a similar value overall with Hue being a little cheaper across its full lifespan and LifX being much cheaper across its full lifespan. If you are living in a house where you plan to stay for 5+ years that is definitely something to consider and even if not you can always take the bulbs with you when you go and replace them with cheap LEDs if you want to be nice to new tenants/buyers.

Of course that mainly hinges on the fact that Philips Hue and LifX are being both honest and accurate in their rating of the lifespan (and Yeelight for that matter) of the bulb but still for that increased lifepan and increased app functionality and integration with other home kit the Hue and LifX bulbs don't look so bad.

On top of that while I am not too sure on how the WiFi enabled bulbs work if all of them independently connect to your router and poll it then having another 40 clients (in the case of Linus' estimate for his house) polling your router instead of one hub is the hub not a better idea long term. If anyone does know what kind of network connection and router spam that quantity of bulbs would cause let me know I am curious

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

stab at nothing but I will check TP out now

Interesting

I like the idea, its the new age "clap on, clap off" outlet.

These are the ones I have. They cost about $29.97 at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-Kasa-KB130-Color-Smart-A19-Light-Bulb-60W-Equivalent-No-Hub-Required/387976512

13 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

ones

Oh wow, wifi connected bulbs, for people like me whom are too lazy to get up off the couch (insert laughing emojicon here)

oh and dont forget my

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.I2jYuSrN1nBnj-vky4_4agHaFO%26pid%3D15.1&f=1Rollende Bierton: Chinese les

33 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Oh wow, wifi connected bulbs, for people like me whom are too lazy to get up off the couch (insert laughing emojicon here)

oh and dont forget my

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.I2jYuSrN1nBnj-vky4_4agHaFO%26pid%3D15.1&f=1Rollende Bierton: Chinese les

I'm using one of them right now. :)

2098841193_2018-11-2120_59_59.thumb.jpg.045e627f41a26c4a5d79b5b7b5ac9526.jpg

I like the hue ecosystem.  I use them in different locations around the house and the ability to set up different rooms and routines with Alexa is nice.  Their LED strips and hue play are nice accent lights for TVs and PCs.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I don't at all agree with the point about LIFX being the "most expensive" option. Sure if you compare the non-Mini LIFX bulb to the HUE the price is basically the same but that's comparing an 800 lumen bulk to a 1100 lumen bulb. The Mini is 800 lumen, the same brightness as the more expensive Hue equivalent they were comparing the price with. Plus you have to get the hub ontop of that.

And sure for a house where you'd replacing 20+ bulbs all with smart bulbs the cost of the hub diminishes. But what if you want just a small number of smart bulbs? Lets be honest, do you need a WiFi enabled light globe in the shed/bathroom/laundry? Probably not. I reckon most people would be happy with 3-5 globes. For $250AU you can get a four globe 800 lumen, multi-coloured kit from LIFX. Philips closest equivalent starter kit has three 800 lumen globes and a hub for $290AU. No contest on price when you're making a fair comparison, LIFX wins hands down.

.... also LIFX are an Australian company so I may be a tad biased

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Hue is great but it is expensive.  I'd have the whole house done by now if it were a bit cheaper.  There are Hue compatible bulbs and strips appearing on AliExpress now.  Hue Strips in Australia cost around $125 (for 2m).  You can pick up the same on Aliexpress for around d half of that.

RGBCCT = RGB, Cool white and warm white

GLEDOPTO ZIGBEE Controller RGBCCT - https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cfxLg5uk

Powersupply (12v DC 5A)

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bggFYRNm

RGBCCT (Choose 12V and CCT)

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/XnVz696

Normal Globe

RGBCCT

GLEDOPTO LED ZIGBEE 12W RGB CCT
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/9e97eWy

Edited by ColonelMattyman
Submitted too early (that usually never happens).

I have some old WeMo globes (which are pretty terrible) and WeMo switches too along with some TP Link switches, but I use HomeAssistant on a Pi3 to integrate everything.

could always just use the clapper

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I wouldn't buy any of these. In my view, they are fundamentally flawed in their design. It's like they didn't do UX testing. The "smarts" should be in the switch, not the bulb.

if the lights are in a ceiling fan, for example, and someone turns the wall switch off, you now have a "dumb" bulb. Congratulations! You spent $120 for 3 RGB bulbs that the LEDs themselves should cost less than $20 for all 3.

If you are sitting a chair right next to a lamp you want to turn on, which is faster: pull out your phone, get into the appropriate controller app, navigate said app to the exact bulb you want and tap the on/off control on the screen OR call out "Alexa. tell Philips Hue to turn on the lamp by the recliner in the living room" OR just reach over and hit the switch on the lamp itself? (I think that last one wins.)

Another reason the LEDs and the driving circuitry should be separate is that they don't last as long as the manufacturers advertise. I have to replace the LEDs in my iluminated house numbers every 3 years. It's not because they stop working; it's because the LEDs aren't as bright as when they were new, and they aren't ever even on for more than 5 hours each night (i.e. dusk till bedtime).

I wonder why linus did not include ikea smart lights or include that Yeelight integrates with the Xiami mi band as a pluspoint. I've ordered one from Ikea and am thinging about getting a single lightbulb from Yeelight and try to turn it of with my mi band 3.

8 hours ago, Fiorbeth said:

Posted this as a comment on the video itself but thought I would copy it over here too as a slight counter point to what is said in the video

One thing I feel they failed to mention in this video is actual lifespan of the bulbs in general. According to the Aliexpress page for the Yeelight bulbs they are rated as lasting 9,000 hours, Philips Hue bulbs are rated as lasting 25,000 hours (according to Philips, and only their second generation onward, first gen is 15,000) which is 2.8 times longer than the Yeelight, and the LifX bulbs are rated at 40,000 hours (according to LifX) which is 4.4 times longer than Yeelight.

According to the Yeelight website Yeelight bulbs are rated for 25.000 hours so your statement does not seems to apply even then I would calculate the cost of accidental damage in that, oops I knocked my lamp of the table and broke my €15 bulb or oops I broke my €40 bulb is a big difference too.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

3 hours ago, trogdor0 said:

I wouldn't buy any of these. In my view, they are fundamentally flawed in their design. It's like they didn't do UX testing. The "smarts" should be in the switch, not the bulb. if the lights are in a ceiling fan, for example, and someone turns the wall switch off, you now have a "dumb" bulb. Congratulations! You spent $120 for 3 RGB bulbs that the LEDs themselves should cost less than $20 for all 3.

Yeah, how stupid of them to use the standard, two pin, 240/120V AC globe fitting that is in pretty much every house. You know what's worse than spending hundreds of dollars on a globe that you have to still get up to turn on if someone has turned if off at the wall? Spending thousands on a fully automated lighting system with no shut off switch at the wall if it malfunctions and won't turn off.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

3 hours ago, EG! said:

According to the Yeelight website Yeelight bulbs are rated for 25.000 hours so your statement does not seems to apply even then I would calculate the cost of accidental damage in that, oops I knocked my lamp of the table and broke my €15 bulb or oops I broke my €40 bulb is a big difference too.

Yeah that is interesting, as I say the aliexpress page linked in the description lists it as 9000 hours, their site does list it as 25.000. Personally though for your argument of accidental damage while that is something to consider in my experience I think I have broken one light bulb in my entire life and that was in a desk lamp during transit even then I doubt I would personally put an expensive bulb into a desk lamp that has a risk of being knocked off if it was not secured. Instead I would use a freestanding lamp with a large base or something similar for the same effect but more stability.

I was just watching the "Phillips Hue is a RIPOFF" video, and I had a thought.

What if you don't need a smart bulb?

Turns out, you actually don't. You can use a smart switch, like this one to control multiple light bulbs. And they can just be regular ones!

I thought this idea could be good for people who don't want to waste money on "smart" light bulbs, and want a cleaner, more organized look and feel to their lights.