Mac vs PC - ROLE REVERSAL feat. iJustine

4 minutes ago, BossOfGames said:

Nick, why u do dis to me??? Can I take it that the video is on #Floatplane already?

It is not on FP yet :P BUT IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE VIDEO AS SOON AS IT'S AVAILABLE, SIGN UP FOR FLOATPLANE TODAY AT FLOATPLANE.COM #sellout #shill #paymenowdaddyLinus #whyamidoingthistoallofyou

Gotta say don't agree with the "screen shot" but hey. He got it done didn't he ;)

Great video guys. As someone who uses Premiere and has used Final Cut before, I personally prefer Premiere. Would love to see you guys go head to head using the other software!

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I also have 3 Magic Mice and find them great. 

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

The Magic Mouse is ergonomically garbage, BUT, and this is a very big BUT, having a multitouch trackpad and mouse in one device is amazing for a lot of tasks.

^ This. ^ The multi-touch gestures are great on the Magic mouse - in fact, when Windows 8 first launched without any form of desktop I had a Logitech T650 touchpad and using gestures with that things was absolutely great. The problem is that there is absolutely nothing to grip with the Magic mouse, so for most people (but not all) it's not just uncomfortable - it's an ergonomical hazard over long periods of use.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You guys ... why not LibreOffice ?

Inter-compatibility between third parties. If I was the only person using office programs for personal use, I'd have no problem with Google Docs or the free online Microsoft Word, for example. However, because the de-facto standard happens to be Microsoft Office around the world, I can't very well say "here's an updated copy of the report we've been working on together, except it's missing all the formatting you saved because LibreOffice doesn't handle the document in exactly the same way as Microsoft Office." 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

The Magic Mouse is ergonomically garbage, BUT, and this is a very big BUT, having a multitouch trackpad and mouse in one device is amazing for a lot of tasks. I often find myself switching between my mouse and trackpad when doing certain tasks. 

It's pretty great for any grip tbh. The lightning port is just weird but I don't really need to charge it often. They really need one on the back of it rather than the bottom. 

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It's pretty great for any grip tbh. The lightning port is just weird but I don't really need to charge it often. They really need one on the back of it rather than the bottom. 

I have to disagree, and I think the vast majority of people would say that the ergonomics are pretty terrible. But again, there are absolutely amazing aspects to the Magic Mouse that would make me want to replace my Performance Mouse MX + trackpad with one -- unfortunately I also benefit immensely from hyper scrolling, so there's really just no perfect option for me.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I have to disagree, and I think the vast majority of people would say that the ergonomics are pretty terrible. But again, there are absolutely amazing aspects to the Magic Mouse that would make me want to replace my Performance Mouse MX + trackpad with one -- unfortunately I also benefit immensely from hyper scrolling, so there's really just no perfect option for me.

The vast majority of people have probably never used one outside of a shop. 

22 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

It is not on FP yet :P BUT IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE VIDEO AS SOON AS IT'S AVAILABLE, SIGN UP FOR FLOATPLANE TODAY AT FLOATPLANE.COM #sellout #shill #paymenowdaddyLinus #whyamidoingthistoallofyou

I just saw iJustine's video on her youtube (the ending was hilarious, her video is in the spoiler). I noticed Taran has 2 Stream decks, do they now support multiple units on one PC?

Also I want to know more about his mind control device :P

And you gotta love the $9.99 per KG for them Peanuts B|

Spoiler

Also this:

image.png.4ff56ebec1d7fe1b369f72dc7718c89a.png

Only 4 minutes in and I am rather certain they are high AF, very in the moment, confused and giggley.  Not knockin it, just an observation.  Excellent idea for a video even if you can't present that info.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

fun video to watch, iJustine obviously won as she is somewhat familiar with both products.

to get a true indication of functionality, both "competitors" need to be unfamiliar with both systems, and ask them to perform basic functions.

I'd watch anyone from LMG grandparents etc. that haven't touched a computer compete!

BTW, I'm a mac user at home, and windows at work (before I retired), now I am at university as a mature aged student, and only own mac devices, and find myself having to submit MS Office/oneDrive documents etc.  now I'm looking into building a PC for home - but thats mostly to switch from console gaming to PC.......

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Once you get into it, It's a lot more fluid. For instance to quit the current application you just press command+q (Like alt-F4) and to take a screenshot you just press command+shift+3 to take a whole screen capture or command+shift+4 to select (which IMO is way easier than using the snipping tool). 

keyboard shortcut to close an app, no thanks I just tap the X in the top right corner, also I don't use the snipping tool, I'm old school I hit the print screen button and CTRL+V paste into paint, I use multiple different version of Windows from 7 to 10 so on the rare occurrence I need a screenshot I do the old school method since it's universal to all modern versions of Windows. Also not a big fan of needing to memorize a dozen different keyboard shortcuts the only ones I use are ctrl+c, ctrl+v and ctrl+alt+del outside of those 3 there are a dozen or more I never bothered to learn and of course ctrl+p for print (but I believe thats universal????).

Linus, if you read this, the command for a screenshot on Mac is command+shift+4. 

no but seriously didn't Linus use a Mac a few years ago for over a month? shouldn't he know this stuff by now? not much has changed since OSX Yosemite... 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Linus, if you read this, the command for a screenshot on Mac is command+shift+4. 

no but seriously didn't Linus use a Mac a few years ago for over a month? shouldn't he know this stuff by now? not much has changed since OSX Yosemite... 

how much spanish (or whatever foreign language you had to take, if your country does that) do you remember from high school? just because you did some basic stuff a few years ago doesn't mean you know every in and out of an OS just look at all these keyboard shortcuts for windows and tell me you would remember ones you likely never used. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

how much spanish (or whatever foreign language you had to take, if your country does that) do you remember from high school? just because you did some basic stuff a few years ago doesn't mean you know every in and out of an OS just look at all these keyboard shortcuts for windows and tell me you would remember ones you likely never used. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

i didn't mean just the keyboard shortcut. 

She/Her

26 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

keyboard shortcut to close an app, no thanks I just tap the X in the top right corner, also I don't use the snipping tool, I'm old school I hit the print screen button and CTRL+V paste into paint, I use multiple different version of Windows from 7 to 10 so on the rare occurrence I need a screenshot I do the old school method since it's universal to all modern versions of Windows. Also not a big fan of needing to memorize a dozen different keyboard shortcuts the only ones I use are ctrl+c, ctrl+v and ctrl+alt+del outside of those 3 there are a dozen or more I never bothered to learn and of course ctrl+p for print (but I believe thats universal????).

c-v c-x c-c c-z c-p c-s c-a are universal. There are probably more. Whats also universal is saving as a PDF LOL. 

Come to think of it, Linus never did take up Jonathan Morrison’s Final Cut Pro on a MacBook challenge from many moons ago. ?

Please do PP vs Logic and have Taran do it WITHOUT his Macro keys

I wouldn't have counted what Linus did as a screenshot - he printed to a file and doing so wouldn't necessarily have worked in a different application.

iJustine was using WordPad which doesn't have a save to PDF option but the MS print to PDF option should have been selectable from the print dialogue so there was definitely something weird going on with that Windows install.

Fun video but Windows came out on top as Justine finished first even with restarting instead of shutting down by accident.

A better test to see which is more intuitive would be to get a couple of total computer noobs to try some basic tasks as here each person was bringing their knowledge of the alternate platform and trying to do it the way they're most used to which is bound to slow you down.

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Once you get into it, It's a lot more fluid. For instance to quit the current application you just press command+q (Like alt-F4) and to take a screenshot you just press command+shift+3 to take a whole screen capture or command+shift+4 to select (which IMO is way easier than using the snipping tool). 

Snipping Tool is there if you just want to make a screenshot of some specific part of your screen. Windows + Prt Sc takes a complete screenshot.

Windows also has key combinations (Alt + F4 like you said). So I don't understand your point but I have to say that I don't have much experience with Mac. Can I get an explanation please? Personally I only use like 3 key combinations and I wouldn't use most combinations on a Mac.

Next question: Does anyone even use WordPad? Apple and Microsoft both want you to use their own applications but while most people use a third party browser ion Winodws, Safari is quite popular. I used it on the MacBook of one of my friends and I find it horrible. I wouldn't use it. (But I wouldn't use Edge as well xD) Also correct me when I'm wrong but do I really have to use this AppStore to download programs on a Mac?

After I watched the video I asked myself two questions: Do these weird animations when opening a program on Mac still exist? And is the back of your iMac a good place for all the IO? Linus had to stand up and walk around the desk to plug in a USB drive. Of course you can just reach around the device if you know where your port is but I can imagine that you end up searching where exactly the port is and scratching the device.

Also I would like to see Taran in the Final Cut X vs Premiere Pro video.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

1 hour ago, GrayTech said:

Snipping Tool is there if you just want to make a screenshot of some specific part of your screen. Windows + Prt Sc takes a complete screenshot.

Not all keyboards have this (lol) and you have to paste it, while MacOS puts in on your desktop or places it temporarily on the side to drag it where you want, e.g. LTT Forum (On Mojave and up). 

Windows also has key combinations (Alt + F4 like you said). So I don't understand your point but I have to say that I don't have much experience with Mac. Can I get an explanation please? Personally I only use like 3 key combinations and I wouldn't use most combinations on a Mac.

You use them more often on Mac and its second nature after a while. If you haven't used a Mac as a daily you'd definitely get the hang of a few. Butterfly keyboards suck though. 

Next question: Does anyone even use WordPad? Apple and Microsoft both want you to use their own applications but while most people use a third party browser ion Winodws, Safari is quite popular. I used it on the MacBook of one of my friends and I find it horrible. I wouldn't use it. (But I wouldn't use Edge as well xD) Also correct me when I'm wrong but do I really have to use this AppStore to download programs on a Mac?

Safari is just as quick as Chrome on my Mac and works great. You don't have to use the App Store at all. To tell the truth Pages and the rest of the Apple Office Suite comes pre-installed on all retail Macs, so IDK why Linus had to install it in the challenge, so you don't need the App Store at all. I hardly use it myself. 

After I watched the video I asked myself two questions: Do these weird animations when opening a program on Mac still exist?

Yes. They add a nice touch, and if you press 'shift' while closing a window it does it in slow motion. You can turn these off if you want. 

And is the back of your iMac a good place for all the IO? Linus had to stand up and walk around the desk to plug in a USB drive. Of course you can just reach around the device if you know where your port is but I can imagine that you end up searching where exactly the port is and scratching the device.

It's a great place, it's an AIO. You can actually just turn the screen if you don't know what is where. Linus was just brushing up on his acting for Justine, he isn't stupid. The iMac looks great, I wouldn't change the I/O placement at all. Keep in mind there is a USB on the keyboard as well for easy access if you go for the wired option. 

isn't this technically against the CS?

No Trolling

• This includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.

ce2.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

please do premiere VS final cut pro.

That would be interesting. 

also... NO. THATS NOT HOW YOU SCREENSHOT.... 

it takes less than a sec to screenshot on a mac.... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

also @nicklmg next time you should ask linus to

• install  app not from the app store. 
  • and the app has to come from 3rd party, which means linus should figure out how to bypass the macOS setting to install it.
  • then figure out a way to delete that app completely using 3rd party app removal tool.

That would be fun. 

:P 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I love Justine.

Just need her to see the light and get a PC.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

On 7/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, RorzNZ said:

You do realize that Win + Print Scn takes an instant snapshot of what is on your display(s) and saves them in the Pictures directory?

Hard to find a keyboards without said buttons. Even my 11-inch $100 RCA 2-in-1 has the keys.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

You do realize that Win + Print Scn takes an instant snapshot of what is on your display(s) and saves them in the Pictures directory?

I did not, thank you.