Apple fined for misleading customers with faulty iPhones and iPads

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Or at the very least request the repairer is actually a business and not a DIY job.

That’s would really help! Ive seen plenty of  repair shops sporting the Apple authorised logo outside;  yet it’s a DIY knock off shop. If you look them up on the Apple Support site they don’t exist; and some use the worst 3rd party items you can get. 

The buggers aren’t even much cheaper in Ireland. One was €5 less fo a battery replacement; but it started over heating the damn phone within a few days and had poor battery life.

I can understand the want and need of apple to Authorise and control; but it can be very over bearing.

Then again some alternatives I’ve experienced were terrible to the point of being detrimental. 

All depends on region and repair availablilty it seems; if mail in is not an option for many.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

15 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

That’s would really help! Ive seen plenty of  repair shops sporting the Apple authorised logo outside;  yet it’s a DIY knock off shop. If you look them up on the Apple Support site they don’t exist; and some use the worst 3rd party items you can get. 

The buggers aren’t even much cheaper in Ireland. One was €5 less fo a battery replacement; but it started over heating the damn phone within a few days and had poor battery life.

I can understand the want and need of apple to Authorise and control; but it can be very over bearing.

Then again some alternatives I’ve experienced were terrible to the point of being detrimental. 

All depends on region and repair availablilty it seems; if mail in is not an option for many.

And that's where the consumer laws in Australia come into their own, once you have a shop you have an ABN/registration, you are liable for all work you charge for. You can and will be personally charged and fined if you fail to uphold all responsibilities and claims made.  If they claim to be an authorised repairer and they aren't, they can be charged with fraud and false advertising.  The customer does not have to go anywhere near a court/solicitor as consumer affairs and the ombudsman will do it all for them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

And that's where the consumer laws in Australia come into their own, once you have a shop you have an ABN/registration, you are liable for all work you charge for. You can and will be personally charged and fined if you fail to uphold all responsibilities and claims made.  If they claim to be an authorised repairer and they aren't, they can be charged with fraud and false advertising.  The customer does not have to go anywhere near a court/solicitor as consumer affairs and the ombudsman will do it all for them.

That sounds great. Ireland is just too laid back at times when it comes to stuff like that. At least our small claims courts are super effective.  Simply sending a solicitors letter to a company regarding that makes them jump hoops.
Would be nice to have it done automatically; then again we're a nation too lazy to even protest :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

There's quite a lot to program in the car to make it function properly, it's not a one-size-fits-all scenario, and there are very often OEM tools you need for the job. Saying an 'Engine is an Engine' doesn't apply to repairing a car or a phone. 

The reason why Apple don't send people the schematics of an iPhone is to stop people replicating it. If you sell something like that you can't just give it away or someone may try and produce the same product at a lower price, probably hindering quality, then people might start comparing the two. It reflects badly. Likewise if its fixed with a poor repair hardware, would you blame Apple or the person involved in the replacement hardware - which is not made by Apple. 

If you, in a car, even though you have the schematic for the electrical system, replace a wiring harness and it breaks, because you have not soldered the connections/used heat shrink/used proper connectors/used tiny gauge wiring, blame the people who sent you the schematic? No. Because you did a crappy repair job with the wrong tools. Thats what the authorisation is all about when working with Apple products. You need to demonstrate you can fix the item and apply to get the right repair materials. If Apple don't know you can fix the phone, why should they send you the materials - when Apple fulfil the warranty for the repair themselves?

Some would just have to buy am iPhone and reverse engineer the thing. A schematic isn't going to make the iPhone any more at risk of being copied than it currently is. 

Many people appear here and all over the internet are of the opinion once someone opens your phone that isnt apple and replaces the screen, for instance, apple suddenly loses all responsibility for any faliure of the device whether or not it was related to the repair due there being another possible person who could have created the issue and by vertue apple is immune to any repicussions related to the faliure of the device even if apple caused it. This is the last person to touch it is the only one who can be at fault rule i suppose. The australian consumer law might be interesting to you because it was set up and backed up by cases before apple started to try moving goal posts.

The basics of it are:

-If you say you do something and it doesnt happen, make it happen or in trouble (time frames, what is and isnt reasonable then come into play). 

-for the lifetime (resonable appears again, 10 year old iphone vs 1 year old iphone kind of logic applies when thinking resonable not 23 vs 24 months) of the product the company is responsible if a faliure arises due to resonable use (so putting phone in pocket alot cause touch disease is apples fault but dropping phone on concrete isnt).

This is where i guess it will be weird for those with the "the last person to touch it is the only one who can be at fault rule" position as these apply to all parties in the original post scenario, apple and the repair shop and all of this appears logical when focusing on an individual phone 

Person buys iphone, person drops iphone, iphone is broken but since the person broke it in an unresonable use of the phone (hitting ground at high velocity), person is responsible for repair and gets it repaired,(ACL makes it very clear who repairs it doesnt matter because if something is broken due to faulty repairs because they advertise "make phone work" if they give phone back that dont work it's their problem not apple), phone works again, apple release update, apple update breaks phone, apple responsiblity is verified, apple in deep shit because something purchased called an iphone doesnt iphone and it was apple's fault.

The Australian make sure everyone plays nice website goes into more details and with less iphone related examples. 

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund?gclid=CjwKCAjw06LZBRBNEiwA2vgMVZBAJjGmNt1uE1gUj1LGvzo384-eUfKcCF29MTWwt7OKZLlxL09pyBoCtU0QAvD_BwE

On 6/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, RorzNZ said:

You can mail it directly to Apple. 

Some countries don't have Apple stores. Belgium just got their first Apple stores a couple of years ago. So are you supposed to ship it internationally just to get repairs?

I know Belgium does have authorized sellers that can do repairs, but I can imagine some countries don't. If they have a market in a certain country, they should have authorized repair centers.

And even still, I think the right to repair legislative bills that are being talked about make it so that even 3rd party unauthorized repair centers should be able to repair the products. It would be illegal for any manufacturer to purposefully lock out repairs by using proprietary tools that only Apple can have / get.

Wonder why Apple is on the hook for an unauthorized repair. If the shop did a shoddy job, it should be the shops fault no?

If a tire shop incorrectly installs a tire and I go out with a loose wheel and crash. I'm not going to hold Toyota liable for repairs, that's all on the shop.

1 minute ago, TroubleKlef said:

Wonder why Apple is on the hook for an unauthorized repair. If the shop did a shoddy job, it should be the shops fault no?

If a tire shop incorrectly installs a tire and I go out with a loose wheel and crash. I'm not going to hold Toyota liable for repairs, that's all on the shop.

because ultimately apple is the one who rendered the device useless. The shop repair did everything right, the device were working fine albeit with touch ID disabled, known fact that replacing the home button would disable touch ID for security reasons. But Apple felt that it wasn't enough and issued a "software upgrade" that rendered your phone unusable. 

The repair shop didn't do a bad job, Apple did. And that's why they got fined.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

41 minutes ago, TroubleKlef said:

they're not on the hook for 3rd party repairs. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

they're not on the hook for 3rd party repairs. 

Ah, my mistake. I should probably read the article than to trust the replies here.

On 6/18/2018 at 6:45 PM, RorzNZ said:

This is so silly. 

So if i break my iPhone, get it fixed by a third-party who does a really bad job, it's Apple's fault, not even that but i'm entitles to a brand new one, instead of one thats been fixed properly and in great condition. 

Except error 53 happens no matter if they do a good job or bad job. Before when you get your home button replaced you only lose touch id but with an ios update it bricks your phone. This has nothing to do with whether they did a good job repairing 

10 hours ago, TroubleKlef said:

This has nothing to do with whether they did a good job repairing its an ios bug read my post above