Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

56K + Text Wall warning! :P 

Here's the retro computing corner i've been working on for a while, since about 2013 or so when I got my first retro machine (that I have now given to a friend). It's pretty ghetto, but it works. It's very tight for space in my small room and using the computers is kind of a pain as the keyboard/mouse/monitor cables needs to be moved to each machine. I bought a KVM but unfortunately the cables are sold separately and are expensive, so i'm still stuck moving cables.

Spoiler

These are the gaming machines, the one in the bottom left is not used and is one of two spare parts machines.

kMhXuSE.jpg

Clockwise:

NEC PowerMate V, 1996:

- Intel Pentium 133 (might upgrade to a 166 but it's plenty fast as it is)

- 64mb EDO memory

- S3 Trio64UV+ 1mb

- Creative SB16 (might swap with an ESS 1868, not sure)

- Onboard VLB IDE controller

- 560mb Samsung

- Sony CD-ROM, not sure the speed. I think 48x.

- Windows 3.1 + MS-DOS 6.22

This machine was given to me by my school. It was used in a computer class for demonstrating how to take apart a computer, and as you would expect, it was destroyed. It has no reset or sleep switch, all the plastic tabs for the front panel are missing and the frame was mangled. It even had capacitors ripped off of the mainboard! Thankfully I was lucky enough to be in contact with someone who had another NEC machine with the same motherboard, and was able to provide the value for the capacitor and I could replace it. A new Dallas RTC chip was also needed.

The frame was bent back mostly to shape, although it is still a bit skewed, it's a damn sight better. New wiring was made out of a CD Audio cable for the IR transmitter and hot glue was used to hold the front panel on. The capacitor and Dallas RTC was replaced and the machine finally booted. It was very unstable to start with, most times not going past POST, however as time went on it seems to have fixed itself.

In the future I want to retrobrite the front panel and optical drive, paint the scratched up cover, and replace the switches (though they are an uncommon size for PC cases so sourcing some might be tricky), but those are purely cosmetic. In terms of hardware upgrades, maybe a Terratec Profimedia 16/96 Gold (I do like the ES1868 chip and it's not a very expensive card), and a bigger hard drive. This machine did come with a 1.6gb Conner but it had some issues.

The Samsung hard disk was also from my school, but for an older machine that I don't know about. It was used in the physics lab and has some cool physics / astronomy software on it.

Pentium III machine, 2000:

- Intel Pentium III 800

- 512mb SDRAM

- nV GeForce 2 MX440

- Creative SB Live 5.1 Digital + AWE64 for MIDI

- 27gb Maxtor

- Teac 48x CD burner, Creative 24x CD reader

- Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ (VIA chipset)

- 250w? Sparkle Power PSU

- Windows 2000, pretty sure lol

Another machine given to me by my school, it was originally built by a local shop, Newell Computers, which has been recently closed and demolished. From what one of my friends told me he had been there since the 1980s and had retired. The motherboard isn't original, it had an MSI i815 Pro, which is probably a better board but I wanted an ISA slot. The hard disk was from my PowerMac G4 500 Sawtooth and so was the Teac optical drive. When I got it it had no memory and a sad S3 Trio3D video card, gross. I think this machine was a teacher's personal machine as it had his name sharpie'd on the inside.

Future upgrades include maybe a faster PIII, a GeForce 2 GTS, and a more era appropriate SB Live with the Live Drive (as seen in Fournuts' post).

Dell Dimension 8300, 2003:

- Intel Pentium 4 2.8 HT

- 1gb DDR-333

- nV GeForce 7600GT

- Creative SB Live 5.1 (Dell OEM, so it's crippled a bit).

- 160gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7? SATA

- NEC DVD reader, might burn too, dunno

- Pretty sure a 300w Hipro PSU

- Windows XP Pro

Found on the curb, it was a little dirty on the front but other than that it was immaculate. Whoever threw it out also decided to wrap it in clingwrap lol. I had to ruin it though when cleaning it, I accidentally scrubbed off a bit of the Dimension text around the power button, oh well. Also came with the Dell 1703FPt monitor I use as my secondary. A very nice machine, stable, quiet, and pretty quick. All parts are original except the hard drive, memory, and video card. I looked up the service tag and turns out it would have shipped with the exact same 160gb Seagate drive anyway. I forget how much RAM it would have come with but I added the 1gb as it had none. The video card was upgraded from the stock FX5200 by the original owner.

Future upgrades include putting a more age-appropriate video card in, like an R9800, but they're not cheap. Also the higher end sound card option, an Audigy 2 ZS.

-------

In the future I would like an even older machine, like a 286. I've also thought about building an all out early 2000s machine, the Dell is great but it's a little boring at the same time. Probably be an A64 3200+, R9800XT, RAID0 Raptors, something like that.

Spoiler

lWfnQFw.jpg

The HP tower server is not really part of this setup, it is used for drive imagine/cloning as it has six front-accessible SATA bays and two IDE bays. I call it the DriveToaster, one of youtube user Alfred DiBlasi's many "sayings".

The machine at the back is an NT4 Domain controller + Fileserver for the other machines here. It has my old Athlon XP 1600+ and Gigabyte GA-7VRX board. 512 megs of RAM I think, 80gb Samsung IDE drive and I don't remember the rest.

hd7DUVH.jpg

It's just using a random Pentium 4 board I found, with like 512 megs of ram, not really worth talking about. Windows XP and Acronis true image are used on this thing. The original dual Xeon board and 600w Delta power supply were quite nice on the other hand but not suited for my purposes in this machine so they were replaced.

ZMzji7I.jpg

Spoiler

The setup!

- Sony SDM-HS73 monitor

- Linksys ProConnect KVM (with no cables so basically useless...)

- Microsoft Internet Keyboard

- Logitech Optical mouse

- JVC RX-6012V AV reciever

- Random shitty Logitech speaker thing. Don't have room for nice speakers here unfortunately.

That IBM monitor is for the DriveToaster machine as getting back there is especially painful.

TuyfIAX.jpg

For networking I use this simple Edimax 8 port 10BaseT+10Base2 hub. I want to get a 100mb switch as this is a bit slow but it's all I had spare and it works. I'm upgrading some of the networking gear around the house soon so I will have a couple small gigabit switches to use. Yeah, a bit new now, but whatever.

For you Mac fans I have a PowerMac G4 500 Sawtooth sitting at my grans house, with the original 17" Studio Display (Trinitro- uhh I mean Diamondtron goodness). Nothing too special but if you want to see it next time I'm down there I'll take some pics. Just let me know.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

I believe I have some SD ram laying around somewhere from an oldddddd build I'll try to dig up, I wish I had kept my xfx 5200 gpu

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

16 minutes ago, Steemax said:

I believe I have some SD ram laying around somewhere from an oldddddd build I'll try to dig up, I wish I had kept my xfx 5200 gpu

Hands down the worst card I ever had. Just a problem after problem with it. Just wasn't XFX, can't remember which one it was.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Can't remember if I've posted this ol guy before, but even if I did, now it'll be with a better camera.

SPECS:

Windows 98 SE Plus!

Cyrix 6x86 MII 333GP with ghetto'd headsink because the PSU fan was not cutting it (plan to upgrade it to a Pentium II at some point)

Integrated SiS video (plan to upgrade to a Radeon 9000 PCI card at some point because that's the major downfall of this PC)

256MB Kingston ValueRAM (133MHz)

4GB Seagate HDD (can't remember the model number)

40GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9

Some kind of CD-RW drive

Integrated ESS + Yamaha synth with SoundBlaster 128 PCI for actually outputting the audio (cleaner audio with lower output so I can hook it up to the line-in on my PC)

large.IMG_20171003_130822.jpg.ba5790db360262954c5d7cd8c602e217.jpg

large.IMG_20171003_130452.jpg.5bf37005351da2f1565d876a818707e6.jpglarge.IMG_20171003_130513.jpg.604559e789484e0796063409c824d7d7.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Hands down the worst card I ever had. Just a problem after problem with it. Just wasn't XFX, can't remember which one it was.

Mine was smooth! I just needed it to play Starcraft, Unreal Tournament and some original Red Alert (Command & Conquer)

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

9 hours ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

56K + Text Wall warning! :P 

Here's the retro computing corner i've been working on for a while, since about 2013 or so when I got my first retro machine (that I have now given to a friend). It's pretty ghetto and shonky, but it works. It's very tight for space in my small room and using the computers is kind of a pain as the keyboard/mouse/monitor cables needs to be moved to each machine. I bought a KVM but unfortunately the cables are sold separately and are expensive, so i'm stuck moving cables.

These are the gaming machines, the one in the bottom left is not used and is one of two spare parts machines.

kMhXuSE.jpg

Clockwise:

NEC PowerMate V, 1996:

- Intel Pentium 133 (might upgrade to a 166 but it's plenty fast as it is)

- 64mb EDO memory

- S3 Trio64UV+ 1mb

- Creative SB16 (might swap with an ESS 1868, not sure)

- Onboard VLB IDE controller

- 560mb Samsung

- Sony CD-ROM, not sure the speed. I think 48x.

- Windows 3.1 + MS-DOS 6.22

This machine was given to me by my school. It was used in a computer class for demonstrating how to take apart a computer, and as you would expect, it was destroyed. It has no reset or sleep switch, all the plastic tabs for the front panel are missing and the frame was mangled. It even had capacitors ripped off of the mainboard! Thankfully I was lucky enough to be in contact with someone who had another NEC machine with the same motherboard, and was able to provide the value for the capacitor and I could replace it. A new Dallas RTC chip was also needed.

The frame was bent back mostly to shape, although it is still a bit skewed, it's a damn sight better. New wiring was made out of a CD Audio cable for the IR transmitter and hot glue was used to hold the front panel on. The capacitor and Dallas RTC was replaced and the machine finally booted. It was very unstable to start with, most times not going past POST, however as time went on it seems to have fixed itself.

In the future I want to retrobrite the front panel and optical drive, paint the scratched up cover, and replace the switches (though they are an uncommon size for PC cases so sourcing some might be tricky), but those are purely cosmetic. In terms of hardware upgrades, maybe a Terratec Profimedia 16/96 Gold (I do like the ES1868 chip and it's not a very expensive card), and a bigger hard drive. This machine did come with a 1.6gb Conner but it had some issues.

The Samsung hard disk was also from my school, but for an older machine that I don't know about. It was used in the physics lab and has some cool physics / astronomy software on it.

Pentium III machine, 2000:

- Intel Pentium III 800

- 512mb SDRAM

- nV GeForce 2 MX440

- Creative SB Live 5.1 Digital + AWE64 for MIDI

- 27gb Maxtor

- Teac 48x CD burner, Creative 24x CD reader

- Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ (VIA chipset)

- 250w? Sparkle Power PSU

- Windows 2000, pretty sure lol

Another machine given to me by my school, it was originally built by a local shop, Newell Computers, which has been recently closed and demolished. From what one of my friends told me he had been there since the 1980s and had retired. The motherboard isn't original, it had an MSI i815 Pro, which is probably a better board but I wanted an ISA slot. The hard disk was from my PowerMac G4 500 Sawtooth and so was the Teac optical drive. When I got it it had no memory and a sad S3 Trio3D video card, gross. I think this machine was a teacher's personal machine as it had his name sharpie'd on the inside.

Future upgrades include maybe a faster PIII, a GeForce 2 GTS, and a more era appropriate SB Live with the Live Drive (as seen in Fournuts' post).

Dell Dimension 8300, 2003:

- Intel Pentium 4 2.8 HT

- 1gb DDR-333

- nV GeForce 7600GT

- Creative SB Live 5.1 (Dell OEM, so it's crippled a bit).

- 160gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7? SATA

- NEC DVD reader, might burn too, dunno

- Pretty sure a 300w Hipro PSU

- Windows XP Pro

Found on the curb, it was a little dirty on the front but other than that it was immaculate. Whoever threw it out also decided to wrap it in clingwrap lol. I had to ruin it though when cleaning it, I accidentally scrubbed off a bit of the Dimension text around the power button, oh well. Also came with the Dell 1703FPt monitor I use as my secondary. A very nice machine, stable, quiet, and pretty quick. All parts are original except the hard drive, memory, and video card. I looked up the service tag and turns out it would have shipped with the exact same 160gb Seagate drive anyway. I forget how much RAM it would have come with but I added the 1gb as it had none. The video card was upgraded from the stock FX5200 by the original owner.

Future upgrades include putting a more age-appropriate video card in, like an R9800, but they're not cheap. Also the higher end sound card option, an Audigy 2 ZS.

-------

In the future I would like an even older machine, like a 286. I've also thought about building an all out early 2000s machine, the Dell is great but it's a little boring at the same time. Probably be an A64 3200+, R9800XT, RAID0 Raptors, something like that.

lWfnQFw.jpg

The HP tower server is not really part of this setup, it is used for drive imagine/cloning as it has six front-accessible SATA bays and two IDE bays. I call it the DriveToaster, a reference to one of youtube user adiblasi's videos.

The machine at the back is an NT4 Domain controller + Fileserver for the other machines here. It has my old Athlon XP 1600+ and Gigabyte GA-7VRX board. 512 megs of RAM I think, 80gb Samsung IDE drive and I don't remember the rest.

hd7DUVH.jpg

It's just using a random Pentium 4 board I found, with like 512 megs of ram, not really worth talking about. Windows XP and Acronis true image are used on this thing. The original dual Xeon board and 600w Delta power supply were quite nice on the other hand but not suited for my purposes in this machine so they were replaced.

ZMzji7I.jpg

The setup!

- Sony SDM-HS73 monitor

- Linksys ProConnect KVM (with no cables so basically useless...)

- Microsoft Internet Keyboard

- Logitech Optical mouse

- JVC RX-6012V AV reciever

- Random shitty Logitech speaker thing. Don't have room for nice speakers here unfortunately.

That IBM monitor is for the DriveToaster machine as getting back there is especially painful.

TuyfIAX.jpg

For networking I use this simple Edimax 8 port 10BaseT+10Base2 hub. I want to get a 100mb switch as this is a bit slow but it's all I had spare and it works. I'm upgrading some of the networking gear around the house soon so I will have a couple small gigabit switches to use. Yeah, a bit new now, but whatever.

For you Mac fans I have a PowerMac G4 500 Sawtooth sitting at my grans house, with the original 17" Studio Display (Trinitro- uhh I mean Diamondtron goodness). Nothing too special but if you want to see it next time I'm down there I'll take some pics. Just let me know.

I see that you have two sound cards listed in your Pentium 3 machine, does that work well? I've never done anything like that. I also like the ir creative CD drive, I have a Creative cd burner in my retro computer and the blue and orange text on a beige drive is hideous in a cool 90's way.

11 hours ago, Fournuts the Longbeard said:

I see that you have two sound cards listed in your Pentium 3 machine, does that work well? I've never done anything like that. I also like the ir creative CD drive, I have a Creative cd burner in my retro computer and the blue and orange text on a beige drive is hideous in a cool 90's way.

I have the AWE64 in there for MIDI as I like it better than the SBLive's synth, and the SBLive for everything else. The AWE64 line out goes into the SBLive's line input and mixed down there, so yeah it actually does work pretty well.

Yeah the infrared port definitely is pretty unique, I think it's just used to control the CD playback back when that was handled by the drive itself. I wonder if anyone actually ever really used it... would have been much more useful imo if it was a full on IrDA port, but even so yeah it definitely is a cool looking drive.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

For my older machine, it has a single core pentium 4 running at 3.0GHz, 256MB DDRSD RAM, 80GB HDD, 300W PSU (propiotary), X1 CD ROM drive, integrated intel HD graphics and its running the classical windows XP.

Seeing if I can revive an 11 year old laptop my wife's aunt & uncle gave me after I helped them upgrade to a newer one. This is sitting in windows 7 on the desktop doing absolutely nothing. lol. Opening chrome takes a good 2 mins or so. 

20170922_001233_HDR.thumb.jpg.1bcc76ef29c6c323923baa7a07d20a13.jpg

Time to install Lubuntu. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Seeing if I can revive an 11 year old laptop my wife's aunt & uncle gave me after I helped them upgrade to a newer one. This is sitting in windows 7 on the desktop doing absolutely nothing. lol. Opening chrome takes a good 2 mins or so. 

That's not old! My main computer is 10 years old. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That's not old! My main computer is 10 years old. 

Didn't say it was "old", said it was 11 years old. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

9 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

This ain't normal. I've put Windows 7 on older laptops and they worked great. There's something running in the background.

Main PC: Acer IPISB-VR│Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4GHz│AeroCool AirFrost 4 with Noctua NF-A9│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│nVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB│Cricual MX500 250GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm + Seagate 1TB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 & Windows 11 Pro│CoolerMaster Silencio 352M│Seasonic M12II-520 EVO 520W│Acer SA220Q 22" 1920x1080

Secondary PC: MSI H81M-P33│Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│16GB DDR3 1866MHz (1600MHz) Dual-channel│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + Seagate 1TB│Windows 11 Pro│Acer Aspire M1930 case│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

Test PC/Nice XP PC: ASUS M2N│AMD Athlon64 x2 6000+ 3.1GHz│CoolerMaster unkown model│4GB DDR2 800MHz│nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB│Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7200rpm + WD Raptor 74GB 10000 rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 + Windows XP Pro SP3│TurboX Case│Zalman 450W│LG Flatron L1718S 17" 1280x1024

Future workshop PC: ASUS M4N68T-M-V2│AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz│Some 130W tower cooler│8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│AMD Radeon HD4670 512MB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840 case│Antec VP350P 350W│Lenovo L220x. 22" 1920x1200

HTPC: HP Elite 8200 USDT│Intel Core i7-2600s 2.8GHz│6GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD Graphics 2000│WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64│JVC LT-32VF30K 32" 1920x1080

New Main laptop: HP ProBook 455 G9│AMD Ryzen 5 2625U 2.3GHz│16GB DDR4 3200MHz│AMD Radeon RX Vega 7│1TB NVMe SSD│Win 11 Pro│15.6" 1920x1080
Old Main laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│Kingston 240GB SSD│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Secondary laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Corei7-3520M 2.9GHz│8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│2 x Crucial BX500 500GB SSDs│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Main phone: Sony Xperia X CompactOther phones: Sony Xperia L3, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (x2){and both are dead now}, Sony Xperia E3, Sony Xperia Tipo + 12 more (not going not list everything)

Most other PCs and laptops I own:

Spoiler

Small laptop: Acer Aspire One D255│Intel Atom N550 1.5GHz│2GB DDR3 1333MHz│Intel GMA3150 256MB│Western Digital 500GB 5400rpm KingDian S100 32GB Apacer AS350X 120GB SSD│Win 7 Ultimate x64 & Win 10 Pro x64 Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit & Q4OS│10.1" 1024x600

Old secondary PC: ASUS A7V8X-X│AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0GHz│Titan CPU Cooler│1.75GB DDR 400MHz│nVidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB│2 x WesternDigital 40GB 7200rpm (sadly one seems to be dead)│Windows XP Pro SP3│Some case│Codegen 300XA 350W│Dell E173FP 17" 1280x1024 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768Philips 200P4 20" 1600x1200

"The Old" PC: eMachines eTower 466i│Intel Celeron 466MHz│512MB RAM PC133│nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB PCI ATi 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x_ 4MB│Seagate Baracuda 40GB 7200rpm│Windows 98SE & Windows XP Pro SP3│IBM P50 14" 1024x768 CRT

"The Floppy" laptop: Clevo 2700C│Intel Pentium III 1.1GHz│512MB PC133 SDRAM│SiS 630 32MB shared│Samsung 40GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│15" 1024x768

"The P4" laptop: HP Pavillion ZD8000│Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz│2GB DDR2 666MHz Dual-channel│ATi Mobility Radeon X600 256MB│Seagate 100GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│17" 1440x900

Dell laptop: Dell Latitude D600│Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz│1.5GB DDR 333MHz│ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB│40GB IDE│Windows XP Pro SP3│14.1"  1400x1050

Future workshop PC (dead): MSI MS-7302│Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz│Stock cooler│3GB DDR2 800MHz│AMD Radeon HD7470 2GB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840│FSP Group 250W│Samsung SyncMaster 730bf 17" 1280x1024

Old Secondary PC: HP IPISB-CH│Intel Core i5-2320 3GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│8GB DDR3 1333MHz│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 2.5"│Windows 7 Ultimate x64│Acer Aspire M1930│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

1 minute ago, dsv1999 said:

This ain't normal. I've put Windows 7 on older laptops and they worked great. There's something running in the background.

Oh, there were many things running. lol. They had AVG and AVG "PC tuner" running, along with many other things. I educated them on those so-called "performance improving" software programs. ;) No viruses or malware, to my surprise though. 

I agree, windows 7 should run fine on older hardware like this and this one's definitely been bogged down with extra bloat. Still, it will run even better with Lubuntu. :) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I have a bunch of Core2 Duos lying around, but I don’t think that they’re retro just yet.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

I can walk to my old high school and show off some ancient windows XP computers with core 2 duos and 2gb of ram (some updated to 4!) 

The only place that got new computers is one of the labs but it was because their 20 computers got hacked by some virus (it’s windows XP, kinda expected to happen). They replaced them with iMacs and since they were so expensive, they only have 7 there. With that budget they could’ve upgraded the entire school with decent Windows PCs but instead got 7 i7 iMacs. 

-Amy Miyake

5 hours ago, KawaiiRaven said:

I can walk to my old high school and show off some ancient windows XP computers with core 2 duos and 2gb of ram (some updated to 4!) 

The only place that got new computers is one of the labs but it was because their 20 computers got hacked by some virus (it’s windows XP, kinda expected to happen). They replaced them with iMacs and since they were so expensive, they only have 7 there. With that budget they could’ve upgraded the entire school with decent Windows PCs but instead got 7 i7 iMacs. 

We have Core2 Duo machines with 3GBs of RAM in school. But they’re not running XP, they’re running Windows 8.1....

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

33 minutes ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

We have Core2 Duo machines with 3GBs of RAM in school. But they’re not running XP, they’re running Windows 8.1....

Lots of the PC's at my old school ran Core 2 Duo E7200's with 4GB of RAM, Radeon HD 3450's, and the SLOWEST 160/250GB Barracudas that had been re-imaged maybe twice in the almost 8 years they've been there.

No joke, the install of Windows 7 Enterprise takes nearly 5 minutes to boot on some of them, and have fun logging in, especially if your account hasn't been copied to that machine before.

(and let's not forget the file server for the media arts class that ran Windows XP Home)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 hours ago, KawaiiRaven said:

Core 2 Duos aren’t ancient! I run a Core 2 Duo in my main rig!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Was doing portable inspections for my local school board a couple month ago. Saw this gem in one of them. Yes, my school board is still using P4 machines... *slow clap* 

20170831_103142.thumb.jpg.c1d75d9199b529ee8b2e3e04c6cc3ac3.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Was doing portable inspections for my local school board a couple month ago. Saw this gem in one of them. Yes, my school board is still using P4 machines... *slow clap* 

You haven't experienced slow until you use a machine with a Core 2 Duo VPro and 4GB of RAM paired with a slow as balls 80GB Barracuda trying to let 5 students work on multi-media heavy PowerPoints all at once.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

You haven't experienced slow until you use a machine with a Core 2 Duo VPro and 4GB of RAM paired with a slow as balls 80GB Barracuda trying to let 5 students work on multi-media heavy PowerPoints all at once.

No. An Intel Atom single core working on a PowerPoint on a remote server over a shitty Wi-Fi connection on Windows 7 Enterprise on a Dell Latitude Mini and trying to actually use the trackpad. That was slow. Also, each machine had to download your user profile when I had to use them for work, so it took about 20 minutes just to boot, add 5 minutes to load the desktop. 

3 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

20170831_103142.thumb.jpg.c1d75d9199b529ee8b2e3e04c6cc3ac3.jpg

Hey, My parents still use one of those fine!

3 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

No. An Intel Atom single core working on a PowerPoint on a remote server over a shitty Wi-Fi connection on Windows 7 Enterprise on a Dell Latitude Mini and trying to actually use the trackpad. That was slow. Also, each machine had to download your user profile when I had to use them for work, so it took about 20 minutes just to boot, add 5 minutes to load the desktop. 

That's not bad at all. I shit you not that this machine took a good 10 minutes to boot XP and another half hour or so to log each student in. God forbid you open IE8 and actually try to obtain the shit for the presentation.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I have a ton of parts... will post them in a bit

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

On 10/5/2017 at 4:48 PM, tmcclelland455 said:

Lots of the PC's at my old school ran Core 2 Duo E7200's with 4GB of RAM, Radeon HD 3450's, and the SLOWEST 160/250GB Barracudas that had been re-imaged maybe twice in the almost 8 years they've been there.

No joke, the install of Windows 7 Enterprise takes nearly 5 minutes to boot on some of them, and have fun logging in, especially if your account hasn't been copied to that machine before.

(and let's not forget the file server for the media arts class that ran Windows XP Home)

We don’t have the hassle with logging in. They are all in a domain. The domain and file server is running Windows Server 2012 R2, but I don’t know what’s inside it.

The hard drive in our PCs are actually quite snappy. Takes maybe 2 - 4 minutes to boot and log in.

But they’re often already running from the lesson before.

We also lost 5 in the last 2 weeks because of PSU failure.