Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

11 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

More so I dont want to stop and do a burn out on public roads. Attracts too much attention etc. 

Do the burnout, just need to be smart about it.  I'm killing off the last of a bad tire on my sportclassic in the video, this was before I changed the color on the bike so it's been a few years.  Put the new one on that afternoon.

3 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

nice bikes, 
was hoping to get my hands on one of these later in the summer .. but the big ol virus got in the way an now i cant get my bike license .. or the bike 🙃image.thumb.png.f6df54c10f7144c8d258e2e4b153430c.png

Perfect starter bike! Do it! I love "social distancing" on my bike! 😁

Just now, Ducati888 said:

Perfect starter bike! Do it! I love "social distancing" on my bike! 😁

321cc 2 cylinder noises dont need anything more for a daily commuter :P 
just my 2m (6ft7in?) tall ass would look huge on that thing xD 

I honestly considered going with a 125cc .. but they are overly expensive ... the 300cc bikes are not much more price wise ... but you get more than 2x the engine 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

10 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

321cc 2 cylinder noises dont need anything more for a daily commuter :P 
just my 2m (6ft7in?) tall ass would look huge on that thing xD 

I honestly considered going with a 125cc .. but they are overly expensive ... the 300cc bikes are not much more price wise ... but you get more than 2x the engine 

Yeah you will look like a bear on a tricycle on that thing.

Well it all depends on how far your commute is as well. Pegging out a little 300cc bike for 30/40mins, the life of that bike will drastically decline. Pros and Cons to everything, cheaper bike overall, cheaper maintenance, cheaper tires/ oil changes than a bigger bike. 

On 4/4/2020 at 7:50 PM, Bitter said:

Is that where Subaru/Toyota got the idea to pipe some induction noise into the cabin?

The intake manifold is symmetrical. This means if you don't like the intoxicating intake symphony of a SHO engine above 4K with your foot to the floor, you can get 1/4" spacers and turn the intake manifold around 180* towards the front of the car. This makes it a very versatile engine for motor swaps into other vehicles and dune buggies, etc. As well as boats. That's always been a dream of mine, SHO powered jet boat. 

Someone even used a de-stroked and carbureted 3.0L SHO engine in a Bonneville car and If I remember correctly, he did pretty well in his class turning some crazy high rpm. The engine can easily go + 8,000rpm in stock form without fear of premature wear or catastrophic failure. And it can live there for a long time. Ask me how I know :) 

There is no weak point in the engine. The pistons are pretty strong and can even handle some moderate nitrous use. The crank is forged and the bottom end of the engine is built like a brick house. The only areas that should not be overlooked are the rod bearings and valve lash. Rod bearings should be done every 150,000 miles in my opinion and valve lash is supposed to be done every 60,000 miles but I have seen SHOs out there that run 150-250K on original valve lash. Not a good idea though, because it can lead to pre-mature camshaft wear and you might crater a valve shim if you beat on it hard without the proper maintenance in place. 

In stock form Taurus SHO cylinder heads flow like a stage II head you might find on a built V8, in a ford mustang engine, for example. Yamaha makes the best cylinder heads, IMHO. 

s-l1600dd.jpg

s-l1600ffg.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

High flow Y-pipe install on my 90 SHO...

CIMG1137.jpg

CIMG1182.jpg

Suspension overhaul (I was feeling ambitious at the time and changed all these parts at a campground)

CIMG0476.jpg

CIMG0933.jpg

96+ brake upgrade kit for my green 94...

CIMG5984.jpg
CIMG5989.jpg

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

Taurus SHO remind me of the Dodge Spirit RT, really cool really weird.

21 hours ago, 711jrp said:

No way!! I have a 2000 Rx last of the carb skis, just did a fresh rebuild last summer great bike, just standard though... love it to bits, you can see it in this picture quite clearly and just about make out m300 and 230 in the background. Plan on doing a full on race rep X4 when I get some time, the miller is out of my old race bike from nearly 20 years ago.

IMG_0459.JPG

That's awesome. You know what they say, great minds think alike! ;)

Here are two of my favorite machines in one shot (fish creek campground outside of Saranac Lake NY)....

CIMG2191.jpg

96 XP with my 1990 SHO I picked up in NJ for about $500.

Happen to be a member of any of the online seadoo forums like sea-doo.net? Because about a decade ago there was on guy who put a wankel engine in an RX, if I am remembering correctly. 

Not something I would do but an interesting swap nevertheless.

7 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Here are two of my favorite machines in one shot (fish creek campground outside of Saranac Lake NY)....

CIMG2191.jpg

Happen to be a member of any of the online seadoo forums like sea-doo.net? Because about a decade ago there was on guy who put a wankel engine in an RX, if I am remembering correctly. 

Where the little stand you put a quarter in to make the lights flash and have it go up and down?

9B348E39-F11B-4009-B7A3-4BD76776B7F4.jpeg

UPDATE:  it appears this post is not being taken in the spirit intended.  I will expand.

the pic is referring not to the car or even the jet ski but the grown man on the jet ski.  Which is on a trailer but he is no less dressed to ride it.  I think the attitude is kind of awesome he’s a grown man, and the saying is the difference between men and boys is the size of their toys.

I think this is a good thing not a bad thing.

Edited by Bombastinator
Epic misunderstanding it seems

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Ducati888 said:

Yeah you will look like a bear on a tricycle on that thing.

Well it all depends on how far your commute is as well. Pegging out a little 300cc bike for 30/40mins, the life of that bike will drastically decline. Pros and Cons to everything, cheaper bike overall, cheaper maintenance, cheaper tires/ oil changes than a bigger bike. 

commute is about 15 minutes by car ... in the city traffic ... i think even a 125 would be perfectly fine for my commute

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

commute is about 15 minutes by car ... in the city traffic ... i think even a 125 would be perfectly fine for my commute

That locked fiat 125 into my head.  The Yugo was a fiat 125 remake.

36A0A2A0-ADBD-4C3B-B0A1-7762502B81D6.jpeg

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

That locked fiat 125 into my head.  The Yugo was a fiat 125 remake.

36A0A2A0-ADBD-4C3B-B0A1-7762502B81D6.jpeg

Ladas (which are Fiat 124) are more popular over here, border with russia and an ex soviet country and all that ... 

image.thumb.png.6a172f367dafb7a894081c19d3324fff.png

16 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

Got this at the minute, had it traded for a RSV4 two weeks ago but the dealers are now shut so who knows lol

029.JPG

030.JPG

Nice! Super fun ride right there! I worked at a dealer but recently moved and switched up job careers,  but prior to that we started carrying Triumph, I was impressed by those speed triples! 

well, im not trying to be mean but i prefer cruisers, sport bikes and hyper bikes. 

Yamaha, Kawasaki etc

I just dont really like small bikes. 

Unless its a vespa.

Edited by orzathewale21

10 minutes ago, orzathewale21 said:

My dream motorcycle

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 12.50.46.png

This is probably my dream bike
image.png.211799cf66334c93ea7bbadc22fe5761.png

Looks like a honda africa twin.

Man i LOVE the africa twin.

BMW is ok tho. Would not say i LOVE bmw but they are alright.

36 minutes ago, orzathewale21 said:

Looks like a honda africa twin.

Man i LOVE the africa twin.

BMW is ok tho. Would not say i LOVE bmw but they are alright.

BMW > Honda .... most of the time :D 
This one is also a twin ... only .. .well ... a bit flat ... 

Both are large capacity engine adventure bikes, the honda is quite nice looking. 
image.png.58b93ec34d65d72965710f2ada9c8edf.png

And KTM also has a nice big engined adventure bike 
image.png.798b43bcecb7ec3c8811fa01055376e0.png

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Where the little stand you put a quarter in to make the lights flash and have it go up and down?

9B348E39-F11B-4009-B7A3-4BD76776B7F4.jpeg

You pay for this ride at the gas pump, and I can assure you it costs a LOT more than a quarter every time you want to take it out! lol

I take it you don't really understand what you are looking at? The 96XP is generally regarded as Bombardier's most agile watercraft and with correct mods it's pretty much unbeatable in that weight class. 

The jet-ski manufactures never went back to this standard. Newer skis' are bloated and heavy, hence the term "couch" was born. Sort of like Windows XP vs Windows Vista. 

EDIT: This seadoo also has an excellent power to weight ratio, and that's usually what I target when I am buying new toys. For example, my 1998 VFR 800 has about the same power to weight ratio.

4.jpg
CIMG5964.jpg

1 hour ago, Ae86 said:

My dream bike. A bastardized gsxr 1000 dirtbike.

boi .. get with the times ... you need to do that with a Kawasaki H2R 

5 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

CIMG2191.jpg

Not sure about great minds but I defiantly love am old seadoo lol, big fan of two strokes period. Yep I was a member of seadoo .net from way back in the day before the four strokes cam out, I used to get a lot of stuff from Glen Perry, in fact I bought my Miller from a member Jeff Long. My handle was the same 711jrp. Jerry Gladis was on there then before he started the greemhulk forum because the members gave him too much stick.

Pete

3 hours ago, Ducati888 said:

Nice! Super fun ride right there! I worked at a dealer but recently moved and switched up job careers,  but prior to that we started carrying Triumph, I was impressed by those speed triples! 

I sure is, not the quickest but fun none the less, this is the third speedy on the trot so I thought I'd better try something else instead, it was down to a superduke or a rsv4, the rsv4 won out in the end.

Pete

21 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

I sure is, not the quickest but fun none the less, this is the third speedy on the trot so I thought I'd better try something else instead, it was down to a superduke or a rsv4, the rsv4 won out in the end.

That v4 sound is hard to pass up! Have fun with it and ride safe out there! 🤟🏽

4 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

You pay for this ride at the gas pump, and I can assure you it costs a LOT more than a quarter every time you want to take it out! lol

I take it you don't really understand what you are looking at? The 96XP is generally regarded as Bombardier's most agile watercraft and with correct mods it's pretty much unbeatable in that weight class. 

The jet-ski manufactures never went back to this standard. Newer skis' are bloated and heavy, hence the term "couch" was born. Sort of like Windows XP vs Windows Vista. 

EDIT: This seadoo also has an excellent power to weight ratio, and that's usually what I target when I am buying new toys. For example, my 1998 VFR 800 has about the same power to weight ratio.

4.jpg
CIMG5964.jpg

What I was looking at was a man sitting on a jet ski that was still on a trailer with his elbows out.  I understood that bit fine.  It was what I was referring to.  I don’t care about the mechanicals especially.  

You somehow seem to think I was talking about motorcycles.  I wasn’t.  I was talking about the human being. I suppose if it was a guy sitting on a motorcycle in riding position while the thing was still on a trailer I might have posted the same pic.

This is a wild misunderstanding I think.  I’m not always a particularly good communicator.  I updated the original post in an attempt to make things clearer.