Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

We had a hailstorm roll through here last week and it absolutely beat the crap out of my poor motorcycle, couldn't move it fast enough before the golf ball-sized hell rained down upon it. Tank got dented, one mirror was destroyed, windscreen got smashed, top case is messed up, seat got ripped from a downed branch, and I discovered my engine shutoff switch got hit so precisely that the housing didn't break but the switch exploded inside. Didn't figure the switch problem out until I had gotten to work a day later, and so I had to bypass the switch in the assembly before I could go home. I have a lot of replacement parts on the way, except the tank since it's expensive and it's just a few dents with no paint cracking. Luckily the windscreen saved the dash display, and no lenses got broken. My car is pocked from hail too so I guess it fits. At least I didn't ride to work that day on the brand new Grom I had delivered just the day before...

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

We had a hailstorm roll through here last week and it absolutely beat the crap out of my poor motorcycle, couldn't move it fast enough before the golf ball-sized hell rained down upon it. Tank got dented, one mirror was destroyed, windscreen got smashed, top case is messed up, seat got ripped from a downed branch, and I discovered my engine shutoff switch got hit so precisely that the housing didn't break but the switch exploded inside. Didn't figure the switch problem out until I had gotten to work a day later, and so I had to bypass the switch in the assembly before I could go home. I have a lot of replacement parts on the way, except the tank since it's expensive and it's just a few dents with no paint cracking. Luckily the windscreen saved the dash display, and no lenses got broken. My car is pocked from hail too so I guess it fits. At least I didn't ride to work that day on the brand new Grom I had delivered just the day before...

Damm we don’t even get hail here and if we do it is rare

7 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Damm we don’t even get hail here and if we do it is rare

It's really strange, this one part of Central Texas is notorious for hailstorms this time of year, though we rarely get other extreme weather. Of course, just a few months ago we did just have the huge winter storm that caught us all off-guard. We have several different prevailing wind types/weather patterns meeting here, contributing to hail and occasionally tornadoes. I've been within 100 yards of a tornado a few times in my life, not my favorite thing.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

It's really strange, this one part of Central Texas is notorious for hailstorms this time of year, though we rarely get other extreme weather. Of course, just a few months ago we did just have the huge winter storm that caught us all off-guard. We have several different prevailing wind types/weather patterns meeting here, contributing to hail and occasionally tornadoes. I've been within 100 yards of a tornado a few times in my life, not my favorite thing.

I live in south ca near Disney we get rain like 3 times a year

53 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That's one big reason why I'd rather have this old school radio stack vs a slow af screen. Most I'd ever use a screen for is GPS too so.. it's like I really need one anyways.

Oh yes, touch screens suck, just give me buttons and a dial.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

29 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Oh actually did not know that but will keep it in mind for the next 6 months

And what are good car speakers

Depends how good your ears are. For me Infiniti Kappa's are good enough mostly. Could use some mellower tweets but they're coax so I can't do anything about that.

19 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Time to buy a DIY PDR kit and learn to pull dents yourself!

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Depends how good your ears are. For me Infiniti Kappa's are good enough mostly. Could use some mellower tweets but they're coax so I can't do anything about that.

I was always a bigger fan of the Reference line, mainly for the silk domes.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Just now, Bitter said:

My dad just got me a project car and I want to  change it out to a better radio 

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Time to buy a DIY PDR kit and learn to pull dents yourself!

I have a friend that trained to do PDR work, I'm sure sometime soon after more of the public has been vaccinated I might be able to talk him into it. Long ago he used my hail-pocked car to practice on and does pretty good work.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Just now, atxcyclist said:

I was always a bigger fan of the Reference, mainly for the silk domes.

I agree, but I wanted the lower freq response of the kappa and the higher power handling. Not a lot of good choices in 5x7 coax. Even the 'bose' system for my 626 had no separate tweeters and I'm not about to bother hacking up a 22yr old car for that. Doing the audio install clean was a pain enough.

Just now, Bitter said:

I agree, but I wanted the lower freq response of the kappa and the higher power handling. Not a lot of good choices in 5x7 coax. Even the 'bose' system for my 626 had no separate tweeters and I'm not about to bother hacking up a 22yr old car for that. Doing the audio install clean was a pain enough.

Oh yeah, I installed car audio at a shop for a while, and any time a vehicle with 5x7s rolled-in we know we had a hard sell on our hands.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Why is this so hard for people? This is like the 3rd time this year.

20210420_144808.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

I have seen this before, from people who rush.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

People think I'm weird for having a GPS, a music player, and a phone because 'your phone can just do all 3' yeah but have you tried to juggle 3 things on one small touch screen you're not supposed to look at when you're driving? No thanks!

Dunno why you're messing with three things at once while you're driving.

10 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Oh yeah, I installed car audio at a shop for a while, and any time a vehicle with 5x7s rolled-in we know we had a hard sell on our hands.

Yeah, slim choices there man. I can't even use a 6x9 adapter because the door card is too shallow for it. I did dampen the doors some, sounds like I'm knocking on a solid wood door not sheet metal. Actually did this for both my cars, even got some strips and scraps into the other areas of the body on my 'fun' car to dampen rain noise from the rear 1/4 panels some and generally attenuate road noise in the sheet metal body. Made the whole car sound less harsh at highway speeds.

3 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

I have seen this before, from people who rush.

Usually they come in after they've also replaced the master cylinder too.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Dunno why you're messing with three things at once while you're driving.

I'm not though? GPS has voice commands so I can just yell at it but mostly it's just doing it's thing without me interacting. Music player is hands free, tap buttons for forward backward to change tracks, phone is just chillin on silent when I'm in the Celica cause no blue tooth. In the Mazda phone might be running Pandora or PowerAmp to  play music, but I can interact with radio buttons then for basic functions.

After a year of waiting on good old RONA... months waiting for a motor, more months waiting on people to twiddle thumbs stang FINALLY started. and ran.... about 100 yards before trans decided to nuke everything but 2nd gear because SOMEONE FUCKIN FORGOT TO PROPERLY ADJUST THE AOD TV CABLE AND TOP THE TRANS FLUID FOR THE $700 TORQUE CONVERTER...... so its back in the shop again. this time for a manual swap. secretly wanted it but dammit didnt want another 2 to 3k more spent.

Had to dig this out of storage and get it rebuilt.

20210419_171242.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

image6.png

moved some shit into storage, so I rented a pick up truck from uhaul and frankly?
I really like the new Silverados
yeah the front end is super controversial but it's grown on me so much

r43shh.png

also I love love the newer Chevy logos with texture lol
This one had 8012 miles on it when I rented it and I put 15 miles on it lol I really see why people like V8s just based on that experience lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

15 hours ago, That_Random_Guy said:

After a year of waiting on good old RONA... months waiting for a motor, more months waiting on people to twiddle thumbs stang FINALLY started. and ran.... about 100 yards before trans decided to nuke everything but 2nd gear because SOMEONE FUCKIN FORGOT TO PROPERLY ADJUST THE AOD TV CABLE AND TOP THE TRANS FLUID FOR THE $700 TORQUE CONVERTER...... so its back in the shop again. this time for a manual swap. secretly wanted it but dammit didnt want another 2 to 3k more spent.

Had to dig this out of storage and get it rebuilt.

20210419_171242.jpg

T5? The good T5 I hope not the wimpy one.

4 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

image6.png

moved some shit into storage, so I rented a pick up truck from uhaul and frankly?
I really like the new Silverados
yeah the front end is super controversial but it's grown on me so much

r43shh.png

also I love love the newer Chevy logos with texture lol
This one had 8012 miles on it when I rented it and I put 15 miles on it lol I really see why people like V8s just based on that experience lol

Honestly you sure it was even a V8? The new new 4.3 V6 is pretty good feeling in those with the shorter rear end gear they pair them with. They're plenty around town and short hauling stuff, I've driven a few from the local Menards when they're in for service and honestly I don't even know if you'd really need the V8 other than to feel more manly.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Honestly you sure it was even a V8? The new new 4.3 V6 is pretty good feeling in those with the shorter rear end gear they pair them with. They're plenty around town and short hauling stuff, I've driven a few from the local Menards when they're in for service and honestly I don't even know if you'd really need the V8 other than to feel more manly.

I'm certain lmfao
0pp16h.png

9 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I'm certain lmfao
0pp16h.png

Nice, usually don't see V8's in rental fleets except in box trucks and big vans. I wonder if that one had the 4 cylinder mode on it, that always sounds and feels funky. It's so much worse when guys put on a butch roarin exhaust and then it's in 4 cylinder mode wump wump wump down the road sounding like a Subaru with a misfire.

Just now, Bitter said:

Nice, usually don't see V8's in rental fleets except in box trucks and big vans. I wonder if that one had the 4 cylinder mode on it, that always sounds and feels funky. It's so much worse when guys put on a butch roarin exhaust and then it's in 4 cylinder mode wump wump wump down the road sounding like a Subaru with a misfire.

I mean for uhaul, it makes sense they'd spring for the V8s. They have trailers and shit they have for rent that all of their vehicles are well suited to tow when loaded down. The fucker had a hitch already installed lol