The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits.

Virus__
On 31/01/2018 at 3:38 PM, Energycore said:

I brew my own!

Which reminds me I've had the malt for 2 batches sitting ready to cook for 2 weeks now.... I should get to that. School's been a bitch.

Favorite style is definitely stout. Close second are any fruity Pale Ales that are good.

Brewing your own is awesome. You get what you want, you can experiment & it's relatively cheap tbh.

On 31/01/2018 at 5:01 AM, bimmerman said:

Pretty much any style of beer, I have a favorite or two.

Sours (Rodenbach Grand Cru, Russian River) are my favorite, but I like IPAs, Stouts, Ambers, Pils, etc...

The whole foods near me has a taproom attached to it. That's become a weekly visit since they rotate new beers through every week, and usually have 2-3 ciders/sours, a bunch of (T)(D)IPAs, Stouts, Barleywines, Ambers, etc on tap. It's pretty sweet-- see photo of last week's beer list.

beerlist.jpg

That's a pretty awesome selection. So much Ballast Point, they do awesome beers I must say.

On 31/01/2018 at 5:55 AM, dalekphalm said:

Call me boring, but my favourite beer is Coors Light. A fresh cold one is so goddamn good - especially during a hot summer day.

If I ever found a craft beer similar, I'd definitely try it.

Hey, if that's what you like then that's what you like tbh.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

9 hours ago, Bhav said:

https://i.imgur.com/cO4R6gn.mp4

No, Im not figuring out how to embed that, but please you must click!

Probably because most vodkas i've had taste & smell like pure ethanol. Absolute is probably the worst offender for that imo.

1 hour ago, JayKay3000 said:

I hardly drink anymore. I enjoy being in control of my senses and having fun because I'm having fun, not because I'll all up on alcohol. But I'll enjoy one of these now and again with friends in a local bar:

FelinfoelDoubleDragon.jpg

All this talk of beer reminds me I also like:

Guinness_Original.jpg

Thirsty now.

Whilst Guinness is awesome. I can only drink it on tap. The bottles always taste awful to me, probably because the bottled Guinness we have in Australia is brewed here, where as the cans with the widget are imported from Ireland. Still not a fan of them, i'll only touch it on tap, which sucks because not many places have it on tap where I am.

Had one of my own beers last night, a Mexican Lager of which I added lime leaves, peel & juice to in the brewing process. Insanely refreshing on these hot summer nights we have been having here of late. Not too dissimilar from the like of Carlton Dry with Lime or Miller Chill with Lime, but it doesn't have any of that soapy taste like I find those two to have..

27331601_10213436537400848_9088789978189611482_n.jpg.0d74f750935bd4a0075e388749f86ae6.jpg

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

0C9A2887-Edit.thumb.jpg.5cfd55759c0133ba8e3a6e8937520a5b.jpg

Tonight's brew.

0C9A2923.thumb.jpg.5dbd9c2a74a0b3f0b563a03066680f80.jpg

Tonight's brew.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:41 PM, Legendarypoet said:

0C9A2750_tonemapped-Edit.thumb.jpg.a9dc3ca0790d226c98b6a5e805740609.jpg

Cans & Cans

Ooooo Fostex! 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

My drink for this evening is a spiced rum n' coke with a bit of lime. Need to get more alcohol. Only have rum left now....

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

3 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Ooooo Fostex! 

Going to get the TH900 MKIIs soon.

7 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

My drink for this evening is a spiced rum n' coke with a bit of lime. Need to get more alcohol. Only have rum left now....

If anything, you need MORE rum. I know I do.

0C9A2991.thumb.jpg.4a01a1f19bb6981f3ca56a2e5d2797ed.jpg

Tonight's brew.

I'm partial to a pint of Adnams Ghost Ship.

I've had Hobgoblin (assume you are referring to the Wychwood brewery version) - not bad but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again.

Oakham Ales make a number of decent beers (if you like them on the hoppy side) - Citra is good and if you are settling in for a session but don't want to be ill then JHB is pretty easy drinking.

I had one called Test Tube Baby several years ago at the local beer festival - very nice until your legs stopped working (it was about 9% IIRC)

I'll try most beers, and make sure I get full use out of my CAMRA discount where I can to sample the different possibilities. Not a fan of Porter's and Stouts that much though.

The worst beer I've ever had (excluding ones that were off) was called Banana Bread Beer - it really did taste of bananas... that got riper and riper and riper until it tasted like I'd left one to liquefy in the skin and sucked out the goo. After a couple of mouthfuls that pint had to go.

Don't mind Lager but prefer beer/ale. One of the worst hangovers I ever had was on Stella Artois so I tend to steer clear of that now.

Favourite cocktails lads? 

Pina colada or gin tonic for me. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

13 minutes ago, Nup said:

definitely a good Mojito here! tough usually people make them much too sweet. :(

i'm also a sucker for a good glass of port. so far this is my favorite!

20180208_185328.thumb.jpg.7e84c4b17c55d09a3d0fdcfe89cf6809.jpg

Edited by RollinLower
forgot to upload the pic

14 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

definitely a good Mojito here! tough usually people make them much too sweet. :(

Oh yeah! Mojitos are excellent. Completely forgot those. And some punch (white rum, lime and sugar. ) 

cant say I love port. :P 

do you guys know any nice/fun rums worth searching for.  

1 hour ago, Nup said:

Either a Bloody Mary or a White Russian.

Apperently I'm into vodka based cocktails.

I also have a soft spot for Zombie, but that's not something you drink for enjoyment.

44 minutes ago, Nup said:

Fun? Pink Pirate rum.

it tastes like liquid raspberry candy and lighting, but with a 30% AbV.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

Either a Bloody Mary or a White Russian.

Apperently I'm into vodka based cocktails.

I also have a soft spot for Zombie, but that's not something you drink for enjoyment.

Fun? Pink Pirate rum.

it tastes like liquid raspberry candy and lighting, but with a 30% AbV.

Can’t say I really like vodka (should have guessed you’d mention it hah), as a base or otherwise. Though Iv yet to try a Bloody Mary. 

Lol pink pirate? Sounds like a good description though. Keeping an eye out for that name so ;) 

8 hours ago, Nup said:

Mojito, because rum.

8 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Love a good port. This is possibly my favourite, just a shame the winery allegedly got bought out & they closed down the fortified section of it, because their Tokay & Muscat were also exceptional.

7 hours ago, Nup said:

Oh yeah! Mojitos are excellent. Completely forgot those. And some punch (white rum, lime and sugar. ) 

cant say I love port. :P 

I don't know if they export to an overseas market, but this rum local to me is one of the nicest I have tried, especially their white rum.

I enjoy a good beer from time to time, but my favourite alcoholic beverage is pure vodka... it never gets me hungover and has basically no taste.

"Once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can" - Hunter S. Thompson

On 2/2/2018 at 6:17 PM, Bhav said:

https://i.imgur.com/cO4R6gn.mp4

No, Im not figuring out how to embed that, but please you must click!

But why not 100% vodka? :P

"Once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can" - Hunter S. Thompson

16 hours ago, Nup said:

Can’t say I really like vodka (should have guessed you’d mention it hah), as a base or otherwise. Though Iv yet to try a Bloody Mary. 

Lol pink pirate? Sounds like a good description though. Keeping an eye out for that name so ;) 

I would say that you've had the wrong vodka. 

The main point of vodka should be that it doesn't add a lot of taste, and it definitely isn't supposed to taste like alcohol. The only thing is should add is the sweet feeling of regret.

Strange as it might be, the best vodka I've ever had (that's priced for mere mortals) is Popov vodka. 

If you want intersting rum, then look into A.H.Riise. Tastes like Caribbean rum should. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

My sibling brought a pack of this home... I didn't taste any strawberry.

27848133_10215017830419733_423422557_n.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 9/2/2018 at 12:50 PM, Volbet said:

I would say that you've had the wrong vodka. 

The main point of vodka should be that it doesn't add a lot of taste, and it definitely isn't supposed to taste like alcohol. The only thing is should add is the sweet feeling of regret.

Strange as it might be, the best vodka I've ever had (that's priced for mere mortals) is Popov vodka. 

If you want intersting rum, then look into A.H.Riise. Tastes like Caribbean rum should. 

Maybe so. I’ll keep tying so ;P Iv never had much vodka. Just Tesco’s finest and up to absolute.

Another name to keep track of!! Thanks.  

On 9/2/2018 at 2:03 AM, Virus__ said:

Mojito, because rum.

Love a good port. This is possibly my favourite, just a shame the winery allegedly got bought out & they closed down the fortified section of it, because their Tokay & Muscat were also exceptional.

I don't know if they export to an overseas market, but this rum local to me is one of the nicest I have tried, especially their white rum.

Beacuse rum - I can understand that. Hopfully it can be found easy enough, usually airports have interesting alcohol, but the rum sections (that Iv seen anyway) are always lacklustre. Thanks anywho, maybe amazon! 

21 hours ago, Nup said:

Maybe so. I’ll keep tying so ;P Iv never had much vodka. Just Tesco’s finest and up to absolute.

Another name to keep track of!! Thanks.  

Beacuse rum - I can understand that. Hopfully it can be found easy enough, usually airports have interesting alcohol, but the rum sections (that Iv seen anyway) are always lacklustre. Thanks anywho, maybe amazon! 

I wouldn't think they export, but you never know to be honest.

Giving these two a re-visit tonight. Both placed in the hottest 100 craft beers for 2017 in Australia. The Balter Pils came in at 43rd & the Young Henry's Newtowner Australian Pale Ale in 4th place.

IMG_0918.thumb.JPG.37f0a38512a17a79dbb3665b5ae78a07.JPG

Tried two I hadn't had before last night (Young Henry's & Pirate Life) & and old favourite (Bridge Roads). These mid strength IPA's (a.k.a session IPA) are real big thing of late I have noticed, every craft brewer seems to be jumping on the band wagon here.

The Pirate Life, it had to live up to a) the hype & b) their other beers I love, because their Pale Ale, India Pale Ale & Strong Pale Ale (collaboration with Ballast Point) are all exceptional beers. This Throwback IPA at 3.5% I didn't have much expectation for it, because every mid-strength beer I have ever had has been watery & lacklustre in the flavour department. Surprisingly this was not the case, it tasted like a full strength IPA & had lots & lots of flavour. I would drink it again, but not at the price they want because i'm better off buying their 5.4% Pale Ale, 6.0% Strong Pale Ale or 6.8% IPA for pretty much the same price.

IMG_0954.thumb.JPG.c6433f26117a245bbc0055da6d4e267c.JPG

The Young Henry's, I hadn't seen this one before, but they always do a good beer. This was actually quite similar to their Newtowner Pale Ale, but way more hoppy. Not a bad thing, and had quite a malty/honey note to it. Quite enjoyable & I would not have picked it was 6.0%

IMG_0955.thumb.JPG.379fd6972b8101666e46b89fc9789d36.JPG

An old favourite. This one came in at #7 in the GABS Hottest 100 Craft Beers for 2017 in Australia. One of the better Craft Pale Ales that is easily available at just about every liquor store in Australia. Can't say much other than it is really easy to drink & that it paired well with the spicy Moroccan slow cooked camel I did for dinner last night.

IMG_0970.thumb.JPG.69888fc183d6828872b22a8dc2340aea.JPG

Went to the local big box liquor store where I used to work, saw they had a clearance bin with a number of beers in them for 95 cents each. So I took them all.. They had one of my favourites the Ballast Point Sea Rose, I really like its tart cherry & pomegranate infusion it's quite nice. I mostly wanted the Ballast Point & the Stoke NPA, not a fan of the Brooklyn Lager, Estrella or the Kingfisher so I gave those to the old man, and the Omission wasn't bad for what it is.

image.png.d6f0d3ae04e5cd390e76267a1d43f054.png