The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits.

Virus__
On 05/03/2018 at 4:03 PM, spwath said:

Right now my drink of choice is Captain Morgan 100 proof. Not too great at first, but a few shots in and it's pretty good. I'm going to try some higher quality rum soon though.

Nothing wrong with Captain Morgan, their regular rum is hard to source here in Australia for some weird reason. But I am quite partial to their spiced gold & black rums. Always good on ice or straight..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

oh yay a liquor thread!

I have tried two types of liquor while I was staying at a hotel for a three day vacation. First night I drank one shot of Bourbon and it was a little bit overwhelming for me taste-wise. Second night I had Whisky Scotch, specifically the Glenmorengie 10 year bottle and it was amazing with ice! I think I'm gonna buy one for myself when I get some money. (Yes I was at legal drinking age in my country when I was at the bar and I don't know my limits so I'm not going to risk it at a bar :)) )

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Thought tonight would be a nice night for a sweeter, but not sweet, white wine.

Pulled a bottle of 2013 Barringwood Schonburger (Tasmanian) from the cellar to find out that it had already been opened and now tastes like vinegar! Wasn't happy since that was my only bottle of a not-particularly-cheap wine.

So moved onto this tasty treat.  

2010 Maison De Grand Esprit 'Les Petite Vignettes' Pinot Blanc (Alsace, France).

Pinot Blanc is one of my favourite styles of white wine and is one of those rare examples where there isn't really any good Australian version, so stuck with the French stuff! 

Wine has held up very well over the years. Initally very light on the palate, it builds up to a strong honey-sweetness and has good length. Perhaps a little sweeter than I'd prefer from an Alsatian white, but I keep going back for more!

Photo 11-3-18, 7 13 10 pm.jpg

I don't really like the idea of craft beers and mixing herbs and shit into a good beer.

I grew up with Astra which is probably one of the more bitter beers. Tastes like shit but you get used to it ^^

astra-rotlicht-bier-hamburg-germany-1062

Other than that I only ever drink when there's an occasion and then usually whatever they have is good enough for me :P 

I kinda like Guiness a lot now.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

On 11/03/2018 at 8:20 PM, Dredgy said:

Thought tonight would be a nice night for a sweeter, but not sweet, white wine.

Pulled a bottle of 2013 Barringwood Schonburger (Tasmanian) from the cellar to find out that it had already been opened and now tastes like vinegar! Wasn't happy since that was my only bottle of a not-particularly-cheap wine.

So moved onto this tasty treat.  

2010 Maison De Grand Esprit 'Les Petite Vignettes' Pinot Blanc (Alsace, France).

Pinot Blanc is one of my favourite styles of white wine and is one of those rare examples where there isn't really any good Australian version, so stuck with the French stuff! 

Wine has held up very well over the years. Initally very light on the palate, it builds up to a strong honey-sweetness and has good length. Perhaps a little sweeter than I'd prefer from an Alsatian white, but I keep going back for more!

Photo 11-3-18, 7 13 10 pm.jpg

Pinot Blanc, that is a style I have never encountered, then again I work & live in an area where wine is more drink it by the litre so it's mostly goon & under $20 a bottle red or white. Disappointing about the Tassie wine though, some of the nicer wines i've had are from there, like my favourite sparkling is a Tassie one. Despite it being only $20 at Dans, it's damn good.

23 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I don't really like the idea of craft beers and mixing herbs and shit into a good beer.

I grew up with Astra which is probably one of the more bitter beers. Tastes like shit but you get used to it ^^

astra-rotlicht-bier-hamburg-germany-1062

Other than that I only ever drink when there's an occasion and then usually whatever they have is good enough for me :P 

I kinda like Guiness a lot now.

Herbs in beer, man I don't know about that, fruit for sure, i've had some interesting fruit infused beers. But certain hops give off different characteristics depending how they are used.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Gave this a bash last night. At $14 a can ($13.30 with my staff discount!) I won't be drinking it too often, but holy shit it was worth it!! Also the "story" on the label amused me, since they're implying the previous tenants of the building the brewery is in were using it as a grow house, heh.

image.png.6ff5d305c9d5bf9abbeec2e0e064ed5c.png

So I went on a little adventure yesterday to secure myself some IIPA by local brewers Balter Brewing, as it is a limited release & if I put it off too much longer i'd miss out. So I managed to score a 4 pack of 500ml cans for $36, they're 8.6% ABV & 3.6 standard drinks per can.. I also took the opportunity to grab two beers by another local brewer Stone & Wood that I had not tried before. One was their Big Scrub lager, which was really flavoursome & easy drinking for a lager & the other The Gatherer (a limited release) a tart cherry American style wheat ale, infused with native local grown finger limes & river mint. It was AWESOME. I will be buying a few more of those for sure & sending one to my friend in Newfoundland along with a can of the Balter IIPA & a can of the Modus Operandi Red IPA & Pale Ale.

image.png.471918ae972b5025e60c1bf8a4a518fe.pngimage.png.73c6f860cb9d254ae7f5ff27f0c6eaa1.pngimage.png.a8f59eaa5abec6bcb7c991569d0c03d3.png

On 3/11/2018 at 9:20 AM, Dredgy said:

snip

I like wine from Alsace, dry white wines are nice.Though i dont know what that grape is like tbh.

Dry and fruity are my favorites.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

We're having some friends over tonight, so I thought it was an idea to finally break this one up. IMG_20180316_170449.thumb.jpg.1b4ba2ef1712030f672aa32cc17c876e.jpg

I've never had this, but the Back in Black wine was surprisingly good.

Edit:

It was actually OK. It was nothing to write home about, but it was a perfectly serviceable wine.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

On 17/03/2018 at 3:07 AM, Volbet said:

We're having some friends over tonight, so I thought it was an idea to finally break this one up.

I've never had this, but the Back in Black wine was surprisingly good.

Edit:

It was actually OK. It was nothing to write home about, but it was a perfectly serviceable wine.

I heard most of the AC/DC wines were okay at best, they never sold well at my work when we had them since they were somewhere between $12 & $20, but sold fast when we cleared them for like $6 haha. But usually these things are just slapping the brand on something & selling it for 4 or 5 times its worth.

Then again I remember KISS had a brand of beer which was god awful. But then again, KISS is just all about the merchandising.

10 hours ago, Virus__ said:

I heard most of the AC/DC wines were okay at best, they never sold well at my work when we had them since they were somewhere between $12 & $20, but sold fast when we cleared them for like $6 haha. But usually these things are just slapping the brand on something & selling it for 4 or 5 times its worth.

Then again I remember KISS had a brand of beer which was god awful. But then again, KISS is just all about the merchandising.

Yeah, they're definitely not worth $12-$20. They're pretty much bottom shelf wine with a band name on them.

Luckily, I got a couple of boxes for free from a friend. Honestly, they're better as novelty items than they are as wine.

The Kiss beer was indeed awful. It tasted like discarded Budweiser.

I should probably add that the Iron Maiden Trooper beer is also not that great.

I think the only music-themed drink that's actually worth the money is Jack Daniel's Frank Sinatra select.

Not a big drinker but whern I do have a drink, my favourite is Martini Extra Dry, with some green olives.

3 hours ago, Volbet said:

Yeah, they're definitely not worth $12-$20. They're pretty much bottom shelf wine with a band name on them.

Luckily, I got a couple of boxes for free from a friend. Honestly, they're better as novelty items than they are as wine.

The Kiss beer was indeed awful. It tasted like discarded Budweiser.

I should probably add that the Iron Maiden Trooper beer is also not that great.

I think the only music-themed drink that's actually worth the money is Jack Daniel's Frank Sinatra select.

I thought Trooper was alright, buuut I haven't had one since it first came out all those years ago as you can't get them in Australia, I had to get my friend in England to send me one. It looks like they changed it since releasing & now also do a lighter version.. Fair enough.

They also have a Porter & Belgium style beer now too.

21 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

I thought Trooper was alright, buuut I haven't had one since it first came out all those years ago as you can't get them in Australia, I had to get my friend in England to send me one. It looks like they changed it since releasing & now also do a lighter version.. Fair enough.

They also have a Porter & Belgium style beer now too.

I didn't know there were different kinds. I guess I never looked into it too much. 

I only had it because they sold it the last time I saw Iron Maiden, and that wasn't too good. 

On the topic of music alchohol, there's also Cabo Wabo tequila, which was owned by Sammy Hagar at one point. 

Surprisingly, it was actually really good tequila. 

6 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I didn't know there were different kinds. I guess I never looked into it too much. 

I only had it because they sold it the last time I saw Iron Maiden, and that wasn't too good. 

On the topic of music alchoho, there's also Cabo Wabo tequila, which was owned by Sammy Hagar at one point. 

Surprisingly, it was actually really good tequila. 

Yeah, I am wondering if the trooper they sold at the gigs was the lighter one, would make sense. it was available here when they toured in 2016, but they were not selling it at the venue which sucked, you had to go to a bar 15 minutes away where they had before & after parties.

I always heard good things about the Sammy Hagar Tequila. Also Vince Neil of Motley Crue had his own line of 100% agave tequila & a vodka as well.

I hear Maynard from Tool has a nice winery likewise Dave Mustaine of Megadeth has his own vineyard & wine.

Had these 3 last night. Hadn't had the Foo Town Lager or the Out & About Pale Ale before & The Balter IPA is an old favourite.

IMG_1423.thumb.JPG.0f0ff71ddca8cce1907ab20ee56c117d.JPG

The Foo Town, a collab between Sydney brewers Young Henry's & Foo Fighters. Just like their music, it's good, but lacking substance & a bit bland. But still palatable.

IMG_1419.thumb.JPG.cdf225b1d3ceee5e6ea0fbf273f838cb.JPG

The Out & About Pale Ale by local brewers Newstead Brewing, not the best & not the worst Pale Ale i've had. But like most of their beers, nothing spectacular to write home about. Nice aroma however.

IMG_1426.thumb.JPG.73186185b354339dec9919a38e42b176.JPG

Balter IPA, by another local brewer (started by World Surfing Champ & local Mick Fanning) this IPA is really nice. Not my all time fave, but the mix of mosaic hops & I think galaxy.

IMG_1425.thumb.JPG.2b85fb24e14109137ae4c0eac33eeab3.JPG

Bought a 6 pack of these yesterday since they're on special for $15 atm. They're damn good, especially for an amber ale which i've never been overly keen on, but the galaxy hops give it a great flavour. It also went well with the spicy bbq & apple cider pulled pork I did.

image.png.baca93a130f4d6bcf512ac501f3e84bf.png

43 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

20 year old here. Can't legally drink. Send help.

Who cares about the law?

I'm not 21....

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

9 hours ago, EPENEX said:

20 year old here. Can't legally drink. Send help.

Assuming your parents consent, most places allow legal consumption at home, supervised.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Assuming your parents consent, most places allow legal consumption at home, supervised.

Agree. The rule in my state is 16 with parental consent and supervision.

I do find that to be a little young, but my state also allows marriage as low as 14, with parental consent, so who knows.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't live with my parents.

27 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

I don't live with my parents.

Replace parent with legal guardian. If you live on your own at 20, then go home to drink xD

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Replace parent with legal guardian. If you live on your own at 20, then go home to drink xD

No guardians, and I can't legally acquire alcohol.

1 minute ago, EPENEX said:

No guardians, and I can't legally acquire alcohol.

Then you're boned.