The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits.

Virus__
7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

beer is beer mate, alcohol does not hydrate, it dehydrates.

Fun fact - a while back I had a craving for peach schnapps and drank 1-2 units a day (2-4 shots mixed with my fruit juice).

It temporarily cured my chronic dehydration by making me feel thirsty enough to drink how much I was meant to.

It was only temporary because after the peach Schnapps ran out, I no longer felt thirsty again, and drinking anything on a normal day feels like I'm having to force it down and my body rejects wanting to drink anything. I typically spend ages scowling as my mouth and neck clamp shut with every sip of fluid trying to force myself to drink, only to end up with a permanent dry / sore throat and whatever else cos my body is always dehydrated and never feels thirsty without a bit of alcohol.

Surely this is a solid reason as to why I should be able to get peach schnapps prescribed medicinally for free on the NHS? 2 units a day was fine on top of my meds, but I wouldn't want to go anything over that or my liver might fail, and it costs too much for me to want to buy it more than once every few years.

Linus is my fetish.

Pretty much any style of beer, I have a favorite or two.

Sours (Rodenbach Grand Cru, Russian River) are my favorite, but I like IPAs, Stouts, Ambers, Pils, etc...

The whole foods near me has a taproom attached to it. That's become a weekly visit since they rotate new beers through every week, and usually have 2-3 ciders/sours, a bunch of (T)(D)IPAs, Stouts, Barleywines, Ambers, etc on tap. It's pretty sweet-- see photo of last week's beer list.

beerlist.jpg

Call me boring, but my favourite beer is Coors Light. A fresh cold one is so goddamn good - especially during a hot summer day.

If I ever found a craft beer similar, I'd definitely try it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 29/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, Virus__ said:

Oh god. That's some serious shit. I've only ever tried commercial moonshine (Ol' Smoky Charred Harley Davidson 'shine) it was pretty good, but pretty refined so it didn't really give that Moonshine experience. Still nice. Sounds like one hell of a night on that stuff you had heh.

I will say that commercial moonshine is a lot safer than the home brewed stuff.

It might not hit you like a freight train, but you're also not risking methanol poisoning.

If you want a strong spirit that's actually drinkable, the I can recommend sampling some rum from Stroh.

Their rum is surprisingly good, but health wise it's probably akin to drinking paint thinner.

Love a good rum, there's a local distiller to me Husk Distillers who do agricole rum, which is pressing fresh cut sugar cane & distilling the juice. It is an amazing flavour they get, their white rum is easily the best & smoothest white rum i've had the pleasure of trying. But that's $75 a bottle, and i'm a cheapskate so I normally just go for Captain Morgan gold or black spiced, because that's decent & I find it good straight on ice.

I was never really into white rum, but that actually looks really good. And $75/bottle doesn't seem too bad.

I bet that Suntory would be amazing. Some mates just went to Japan recently & they visited every whisky bar they could find.. One mate found a 25 year old Yamazki single malt whisky, at 400,000 YEN, which was about $4,500 AUD. He was going to get it but they didn't take AMEX apparently.. Nice whisky I am sure, but not $4,500 nice imo.

Oh, Yamazaki is one my favorite whiskey brands.

A friend of mine makes a living off importing spirits and holding tastes for them, and he was the one who turned me on to Japanese whiskey.

Unfortunately, Yamazaki is always a bit too far out of my price range.

I would love to go on a whiskey and sake tour of Japan, but alas, the last time I was in Japan I just ended up getting shit faced on Shōchū with the wife.

That stuff tastes surprisingly well, hits extremely hard and is often served in large mugs, since unit sized drinks doesn't seem to have made it to Japan.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

2 hours ago, Volbet said:

I will say that commercial moonshine is a lot safer than the home brewed stuff.

It might not hit you like a freight train, but you're also not risking methanol poisoning.

If you want a strong spirit that's actually drinkable, the I can recommend sampling some rum from Stroh.

Their rum is surprisingly good, but health wise it's probably akin to drinking paint thinner.

I was never really into white rum, but that actually looks really good. And $75/bottle doesn't seem too bad.

Oh, Yamazaki is one my favorite whiskey brands.

A friend of mine makes a living off importing spirits and holding tastes for them, and he was the one who turned me on to Japanese whiskey.

Unfortunately, Yamazaki is always a bit too far out of my price range.

I would love to go on a whiskey and sake tour of Japan, but alas, the last time I was in Japan I just ended up getting shit faced on Shōchū with the wife.

That stuff tastes surprisingly well, hits extremely hard and is often served in large mugs, since unit sized drinks doesn't seem to have made it to Japan.

Haha, yeah that's the downside with the illegal stuff sadly.

Holy shit. 80% yeah that'll burn. That's higher than Bacardi 151, I can assume it would be a similar price here to that as well close to $100.

Yeah i've never been into white rum, since it's unaged & rough as guts normally. But this one, is smooth, sweet & amazing in any sort of cocktail I tried it in. Their aged rum is also amazing, I remember trying that in their take on an old fashioned, worked really well. I still need to giver their spiced rum a go, since that only got released early December. But it sounds awesome & they use local/Australian flavours to infuse it, just like their Ink Gin, which is insanely popular here. Even more so after the actor Margot Robbie was seen drinking it when she was holidaying in the region last year everyone sold out & couldn't get any more for a few weeks hah.

I've never had the chance to try it, mostly because top shelf stuff like that is extremely expensive here in Aus, due to our insanely high taxes on most alcohols. Like I had a customer tell me where he lived in California with sales tax a bottle of Fireball cinnamon whiskey was $12 USD, here it is $55 AUD or about $45 USD, insanely expensive.

Oh yeah that would be amazing. I'm gonna try & go to Japan next time my mates go, it would be so worth it. It's one of the few countries I want to visit along with Canada. Both countries just fascinate me. That sounds like my sorta serving when it comes to booze haha. Sounds awesome.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Honestly of all beers.
the one I really liked at first was the Sleeman Honey brown
but I got tired

the only one I can drink without ever being bored if it is the German DAB. I like the creamyness. 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

My favorite beer will probably always be blue moon but I like trying craft ales whenever I see them.There's a German pub just downtown that always rotates their beers (all with super high alcohol % and names I dare not try to pronounce lol)

They do have a strawberry cider called Fruli that's super good.

Other than that I prefer my dark spirits, whiskey, scotch, rum. Gentleman Jack is my go to bottle but havent tried too many others.

There's always so much more to try, anyone got any recommendations?

20 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

Thanks. The photos rationalize the drinking, lol.

Haha, hey whatever works ;)

That copper one... <3

I love copper.

19 hours ago, mr moose said:

Fuckin' weak.  Bears are piss easy to drink, if you're in the mood for something strong though,  you should try a crocodile or hippo.  they are leathery as fuck.

Hahaha, touche.

10 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

Yeah, I really enjoy Stella, but the again I've grown up on Moosehead so I quite like it. However, I can't seem to find 3 Monts here, might either be sold out, or just unavailable.

Yeah it can be pretty hard to find. I can't find it here either, only in Vancouver.

7 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Pretty much any style of beer, I have a favorite or two.

Sours (Rodenbach Grand Cru, Russian River) are my favorite, but I like IPAs, Stouts, Ambers, Pils, etc...

The whole foods near me has a taproom attached to it. That's become a weekly visit since they rotate new beers through every week, and usually have 2-3 ciders/sours, a bunch of (T)(D)IPAs, Stouts, Barleywines, Ambers, etc on tap. It's pretty sweet-- see photo of last week's beer list.

beerlist.jpg

Not to be creepy but...

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?!

That looks amazing. Such a massive selection. Do they provide growlers?

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Call me boring, but my favourite beer is Coors Light. A fresh cold one is so goddamn good - especially during a hot summer day.

If I ever found a craft beer similar, I'd definitely try it.

Ever tried Coors Banquet? I love it. Though it's ridiculously expensive here compared to Vancouver.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Haha, hey whatever works ;)

That copper one... <3

I love copper.

Hahaha, touche.

Yeah it can be pretty hard to find. I can't find it here either, only in Vancouver.

Not to be creepy but...

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?!

Ever tried Coors Banquet? I love it. Though it's ridiculously expensive here compared to Vancouver.

I don't recall if I've ever had it. Definitely seen it around though, as it has a distinctive off-white cream coloured can.

Can you describe the taste? How does it compare to Coors Light?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I brew my own!

Which reminds me I've had the malt for 2 batches sitting ready to cook for 2 weeks now.... I should get to that. School's been a bitch.

Favorite style is definitely stout. Close second are any fruity Pale Ales that are good.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I made 2 jars of kvass once. The video described it  as a cross between a light beer and a cider. That’s exactly what it tastes like, I’ll have to make some

more at some point. Must’ve been about 1% 

I didn’t filter it for shit though, that stuff was more cultured than me 

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Froody129 said:

I didn’t filter it for shit though, that stuff was more cultured than me 

That's the best brewer joke I've heard in forever.

Maybe it's because none of my friends brew. :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't recall if I've ever had it. Definitely seen it around though, as it has a distinctive off-white cream coloured can.

Can you describe the taste? How does it compare to Coors Light?

I've actually never had Coors Light. Have you ever had Busch? It's smoother, with a less watered down taste.

I think that's how I'd describe it best. Smooth. Good aftertaste.

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I brew my own!

Which reminds me I've had the malt for 2 batches sitting ready to cook for 2 weeks now.... I should get to that. School's been a bitch.

Favorite style is definitely stout. Close second are any fruity Pale Ales that are good.

Haha that reminds me of my buddies dad brewing his own root beer as a kid.

He got me to be his taste tester...except I found mold in the first bottle. And mold in the second. Sadly all 12 bottles failed to seal.

Which I definitely found out first hand xD

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

I've actually never had Coors Light. Have you ever had Busch? It's smoother, with a less watered down taste.

I think that's how I'd describe it best. Smooth. Good aftertaste.

Haha that reminds me of my buddies dad brewing his own root beer as a kid.

He got me to be his taste tester...except I found mold in the first bottle. And mold in the second. Sadly all 12 bottles failed to seal.

Which I definitely found out first hand xD

Hmm alright - well I'll have to take a look and try it.

I'm not exactly a traditional beer drinker. I hate most beers. ESPECIALLY hoppy ones *barf* no thanks.

I prefer light, smooth tastes.

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Not to be creepy but...

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?!

Bay Area, CA. There are a few Whole Foods with taprooms here, but no growlers unfortunately.

This is a fairly small taproom for the area, if I'm honest. There are a few places in the City and in SJ that have many many many dozens of craft beers on tap. Bay Area (and Colorado) are amazing places for beer. What I really do like about the Whole Foods taproom is that they make it a point to feature local small craft breweries that don't have much in the way of distribution or bottling channels. They make a great effort to find local tasty beers, as well as bring in tasty stuff from elsewhere. It's a great and well curated collection despite the "small" tap list.

Ironically, as a Colorado native, I don't like either Coors or Coors Light-- it's far too bland and flavorless for my tastes. I'd much rather have a Corona if I'm wanting beer flavored fizzy water, especially in summer heat. Pilsner Urquell would be a better option IMO but it's not as easy to find.

IMG_20180131_191920.jpg

Tonight the cats and I are trying out a new local brewery, Four Winds. I'm starting with their Nectarous, a sour. Based on the first couple tastes, I'm really liking it! It's got a smooth, fruity body - almost like a nectarine - but a very harsh tartness that spikes the tongue. When I pop open something labeled "sour", this is what I expect. I'll wait to finish it before I give a final verdict.

What's everyone's worst experience with a beer?
Mine is by far and away Hobgoblin. It tasted awful. It was supposed to have a chocolate note to it, but it was just...bad. I've never tried another beer that said it had a similar flavor profile. Needless to say I threw it right out the truck window.

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Hmm alright - well I'll have to take a look and try it.

I'm not exactly a traditional beer drinker. I hate most beers. ESPECIALLY hoppy ones *barf* no thanks.

I prefer light, smooth tastes.

Yeah I'm totally the same, so I think you'd like it! It's honestly the best mainstream beer I've ever tasted.

I also had this amazing raspberry ginger beer the other day, but it's more of a dessert beer. A little too sweet.

7 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Bay Area, CA. There are a few Whole Foods with taprooms here, but no growlers unfortunately.

This is a fairly small taproom for the area, if I'm honest. There are a few places in the City and in SJ that have many many many dozens of craft beers on tap. Bay Area (and Colorado) are amazing places for beer. What I really do like about the Whole Foods taproom is that they make it a point to feature local small craft breweries that don't have much in the way of distribution or bottling channels. They make a great effort to find local tasty beers, as well as bring in tasty stuff from elsewhere. It's a great and well curated collection despite the "small" tap list.

Ironically, as a Colorado native, I don't like either Coors or Coors Light-- it's far too bland and flavorless for my tastes. I'd much rather have a Corona if I'm wanting beer flavored fizzy water, especially in summer heat. Pilsner Urquell would be a better option IMO but it's not as easy to find.

Hmmm. TBH I don't think there's even a Whole Foods in this city, but even if there were they can't sell alcohol anyway.

Looks pretty awesome though! Makes sense that there's huge craft breweries down there though with your massive population pool to tap into.

Haha, I love Corona because it comes with a lime slice. I fucking love lime. I've never heard of Pilsner Urquell, I'll have to give it a go.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Force.Sensitive.Squirrel said:

Tonight the cats and I are trying out a new local brewery, Four Winds. I'm starting with their Nectarous, a sour. Based on the first couple tastes, I'm really liking it! It's got a smooth, fruity body - almost like a nectarine - but a very harsh tartness that spikes the tongue. When I pop open something labeled "sour", this is what I expect. I'll wait to finish it before I give a final verdict.

Where abouts is that located?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What's everyone's worst experience with a beer?
Mine is by far and away Hobgoblin. It tasted awful. It was supposed to have a chocolate note to it, but it was just...bad. I've never tried another beer that said it had a similar flavor profile. Needless to say I threw it right out the truck window.

I've had Hobgoblin too. It is literal liquid garbage.

0C9A8643.thumb.jpg.e6a04505d9383e0eb5cb205f6e2c4dc7.jpg

Tonight's beverage of choice.

16 minutes ago, Force.Sensitive.Squirrel said:

Delta, BC.

Ahhh that explains why I've never heard of it, I'd only go through Delta to get to Point Roberts :P

7 minutes ago, Force.Sensitive.Squirrel said:

I would drink a beer called Whorehouse.

@Legendarypoet are you a professional photographer because damn

I'd also like to know his secrets :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Force.Sensitive.Squirrel said:

I would drink a beer called Whorehouse.

@Legendarypoet are you a professional photographer because damn

I always feel weird calling myself a professional photographer. I feel like that's one of those things that's debatable, lol.

Thank you! I like pointing the camera at stuff and pressing the button.

0C9A2750_tonemapped-Edit.thumb.jpg.a9dc3ca0790d226c98b6a5e805740609.jpg

Cans & Cans