Paragon being shut down amid Fortnite's success

Terryv

Source: - Removed -

Last week, players worried that the unexpected success of Fortnite would leave Epic Games’ other big game, Paragon, in the dust. Turns out they were right to worry. Epic will shut down Paragon on April 26 and offer full refunds to every player, the company said today.

It's a shame it's getting shut down, but at least everyone who bought in gets a refund.

Edited by GoodBytes
Link not direct to source.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

It's nice they're keeping the servers up for another 3 months, the game did have potential just not the man power behind it. 

tried it and it was pretty crap, so its understandable IMO

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

26 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

And then they have this thing called Unreal Tournament in alpha stage since what, 2014?

Yes, August 2014 pre-alpha started. They said they're working on it, though not as in full steam as Fornite now. They said they continue to work on UT4 for sure, its' currently in stages of code refactoring though. 

23 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

tried it and it was pretty crap, so its understandable IMO

To what did you compare it too. I'm not a big moba fan myself but aside from certain things, it's more fun than DotA and LoL that's for sure. I just wished from very start that they made pacing more Smite like. Also the card system was kinda odd in many stages.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Pretty sad to hear about this. Paragon was (and still is) a really well crafted and beautiful game so its a shame that all the work that has gone into it is being thrown out. That being said, in the developers eyes there was always something a little "off" and even with constant reiteration of the card (item) system it never felt quite as smooth or easy to learn as other MOBA's so no doubt retention and to an equal extent expansion of the playerbase was difficult. 

It just irks me you know? All these wonderful character designs and hard work poured into the game and poof.... Even if the gameplay wasnt particularly innovative as far as MOBA's go, for a free to play title its above average and you would have a hard time disputing that. 

Oh well. Good times while it lasted. :)

12 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

kinda odd in many stages.

I feel like that described the game

It didn't really appeal to MOBA players or FPS players

My life

When Fornite makes you so much money you can afford to refund Paragon people just to make sure there's no complaints. But there's probably not too many people who bought it in comparison anyway

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I feel like that described the game

It didn't really appeal to MOBA players or FPS players

Hmm well as card system it's like replacement for item shop. Like HotS doesn't have items too, but talents you choose through levels. But card system was meh really. 

It's still a lane pusher though so pretty much moba like game and HotS is more different than traditional moba or lane pusher game and it's well accepted. Not sure what you mean by FPS players.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yes, August 2014 pre-alpha started. They said they're working on it, though not as in full steam as Fornite now. They said they continue to work on UT4 for sure, its' currently in stages of code refactoring though. 

To what did you compare it too. I'm not a big moba fan myself but aside from certain things, it's more fun than DotA and LoL that's for sure. I just wished from very start that they made pacing more Smite like. Also the card system was kinda odd in many stages.

was looking mainly for an alternative to Paladins that wasent OW, R6S or TF2. not a big moba fan but i enjoy hero shooters and the moba parts of Paladins quite a bit and the card system was something i used to really like about Paladins(now the dun faked it up pretty bad... -_-) and i just heard Paragon had some sort of card system as well, but the little i played of it ended up being extremely booring and i didnt like it. Honestly enjoyed the tiny bit of Smite i played more than Paragon

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

And then they have this thing called Unreal Tournament in alpha stage since what, 2014?

Played it before and after pre-alpha was released. Facing worlds brought a tear to my eye, now just gimme Morpheus. I just want a properly populated UT game. No shooter ever came close (not even Quake) for me. I don't even want it to be free as they said. I'll pay for the thing. Hell even Doom MP has enough people playing for it to be called populated. Freaking Doom.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

was looking mainly for an alternative to Paladins that wasent OW, R6S or TF2. not a big moba fan but i enjoy hero shooters and the moba parts of Paladins quite a bit and the card system was something i used to really like about Paladins(now the dun faked it up pretty bad... -_-) and i just heard Paragon had some sort of card system as well, but the little i played of it ended up being extremely booring and i didnt like it. Honestly enjoyed the tiny bit of Smite i played more than Paragon

Ahh, was to mention Paladins though. As far as hero shooters, other than those, there's Lawbreakers which was just better OW though, but kinda went same path as Paragon too. 

I started to play Smite from start, was different as far as perspective, kinda liked WASD movement of it way more.

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Played it before and after pre-alpha was released. Facing worlds brought a tear to my eye, now just gimme Morpheus. I just want a properly populated UT game. No shooter ever came close (not even Quake) for me. I don't even want it to be free as they said. I'll pay for the thing. Hell even Doom MP has enough people playing for it to be called populated. Freaking Doom.

Yeah I'd like to see new UT become popular too, it's just fun. I would throw couple of games from time to time. I'm looking forward to it's development for sure. Currently I play Quake Champions actually from early closed beta already though. I really enjoy it it. For new UT it will take time it seems. But yeah I'd also like to pay for it and not be free for a reasons known. Also I played DOOM MP and true quite a bit played it even though mixed feeling about it as far as arena FPS game. Still was fun.

Does not meet posting guidelines for Tech News.

Link of source removed, as it isn't a direct link to the site

Moved to PC Gaming

All I want is the floss dance. 

not many game companies would do this and offer full refunds on all purchases. good on you Epic

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Q.Q Paragon is my jam! I love this game! Sad to see it go... Oh well guess the refund can go towards my Vive Pro... :'(

And for all the people discussing the card system, I still like the first iteration best, as broken as people thought it was. Each card had a large and noticable affect on your character, and the way you built your deck could drastically influence not just your ability to succeed in game, but also your ability to spec out towards entirely different archetypes. It added a real strategy element to the deck building, and while most players would recommend certain cards that were super effective with a given character, you could always buck trends and find ways to be effective with non-traditional builds.

I understand why people didn't like it, but it added an extra layer of strategy over the existing FPS/AoS layers that I found to go beyond the "memorize meta and counters that are effective in x situation" that most AoS games turn into in their later stages.