[Update] Apple's iMac Pro will be available for orders on December 14, 2017

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Maybe I picked something wrong. Maybe something incompatible with NVME SSD or the Vega 56?

Yeah, I edited above: it's the RAM, the list is back if you drop that kit.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yeah, I edited above: it's the RAM, the list is back if you drop that kit.

Well to match the specs of the base model iMac Pro, the RAM must be 32GB ECC memory for the PC build and the storage must be 1TB Samsung 960 Pro

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Well to match the specs of the base model iMac Pro, the RAM must be 32GB ECC memory for the PC build

Apparently, that Xeon takes unbuffered ECC only, but won't do Registered ECC server RAM (same as AM3+ or AM4, perhaps not surprising in 1151).

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Well to match the specs of the base model iMac Pro

Wait, isn't the lowest in the article an 8-coore Xeon? And given they go up to 18, these iMacs must be on 2066, not 1151.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Wait, isn't the lowest in the article an 8-coore Xeon? And given they go up to 18, these iMacs must be on 2066, not 1151.

I can't seem to find one one PCPP o.O

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

With the exception of the lack of user accessibility, I think it's safe to say that the iMac Pro's price is justified when you start building a PC with similar specs.

not to mention that you have to spend the time tinkering it. but with the imac pro you just open the box and start working. (omg i am one step closer to become a fanboy am i?)  :/ 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

not to mention that you have to spend the time tinkering it. but with the imac pro you just open the box and start working. (omg i am one step closer to become a fanboy am i?)  :/ 

I didn’t realize that the Vega 56 and 64 are expensive af until I made the OP. 

Is it powerful? Yes

Is it too expensive? Yes, a bit.

Will people buy it anyway? Yes.

Do the users need this much performance? I assume less than 50% do.

I'm just wondering how loud it would be, considering the power consuption of a 18 core i9 and the vega 64. or will it just thermal throttle because they don't allow a loud PC?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

"but for people invested in Apple's ecosystem"

That was their first mistake.

3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

I'm just wondering how loud it would be, considering the power consuption of a 18 core i9 and the vega 64. or will it just thermal throttle because they don't allow a loud PC?

out of curiosity, if it does thermal throttle under windows 10, will it under macOS?

what I mean is that is this a universal thing or under certain OS it will not throttle no matter how hard you try, like it is a fixable issue on the software level. 

if you install some of the linux distro on it, will it throttle? 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

out of curiosity, if it does thermal throttle under windows 10, will it under macOS?

what I mean is that is this a universal thing or under certain OS it will not throttle no matter how hard you try, like it is a fixable issue on the software level. 

This is why I wonder why whenever Linus reviews a Mac, he performs synthetic benchmarks on a Windows 10 Bootcamp partition when most synthetic benchmarks with the exception of AIDA64 are available on the Mac. 

It's been a while since one could legit say apple has one of the fastest computers available

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Actually, thermal throtteling is a sign the the OS is doing a good job in keeping the cores fed with data to process.

Add a nop() after every instruction and it will never throttle, but the performance is bad.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

This is why I wonder why whenever Linus reviews a Mac, he performs synthetic benchmarks on a Windows 10 Bootcamp partition when most synthetic benchmarks with the exception of AIDA64 are available on the Mac. 

he gotta "apply" to his audience isnt he....

he knows most of the die hard fans are gamers.... 

i am not very found of his "PC USERS PERSPECTIVE" name tag right there... 

also is it just me or someone else also felt that luke is more anti apple than linus... 

nvm dont turn this into one of those infamous debate... i take back what i said

3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Actually, thermal throtteling is a sign the the OS is doing a good job in keeping the cores fed with data to process.

Add a nop() after every instruction and it will never throttle, but the performance is bad.

i see... so the gamer's stand "It will thermal throttle anyway" doesn't really make any sense... 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

am not very found of his "PC USERS PERSPECTIVE" name tag right there... 

Whenever Linus reviews a Mac, I sometimes take it with a grain of salt. Remember when Luke made a video about the MacBook Pro’s 16GB RAM limitation and he doesn’t seem to know that ULV Skylake only supports a maximum of 16GB LPDDR3 RAM on a single channel? 

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Whenever Linus reviews a Mac, I sometimes take it with a grain of salt. Remember when Luke made a video about the MacBook Pro’s 16GB RAM limitation and he doesn’t seem to know that ULV Skylake only supports a maximum of 16GB LPDDR3 RAM on a single channel? 

that's why i said he is still the more anti apple one. 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

It might be because it's easier for a PC user to figure out how to get HW info in Windows than OSX.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

This is definitely a niche machine, since you have to both need workstation-grade hardware and remain content with an all-in-one, but... if I could justify the money, I'd love it.  There's something alluring to a Xeon workstation so compact the entire thing sits inside a 5K display.

Of course, I'll probably change my tune the moment the redesigned Mac Pro shows up, because that'd probably be a better investment, but still...

8 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Not gonna lie, I do actually want one.

But I don’t work in the creative industry, so I don’t see why I would justify owning one :/

Windows in bootcamp, one hell on an all in one that can game.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

BS its the result of having an inadequacy cooling solution something that apple forgets about because it puts design first 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

No, it's not. It's a sign that the cooling system is inadequate, as one can thermal throttle a modern processor without running anything more than a UEFI or just the OS, no overclocking, just because whatever cooler needs to get the hell out of the kitchen.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

BS its the result of having an inadequacy cooling solution something that apple forgets about because it puts design first 

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. It's a sign that the cooling system is inadequate, as one can thermal throttle a modern processor without running anything more than a UEFI or just the OS, no overclocking, just because whatever cooler needs to get the hell out of the kitchen.

Of course it all comes down to cooling. But he was asking me about the effect of different OS on thermal throtteling.

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

Of course it all comes down to cooling. But he was asking me about the effect of different OS on thermal throtteling.

no os has no real effect. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

21 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

no os has no real effect. 

Unless the OS has bugs then the OS might sometimes affect benchmarks or even real life usage