What features would you want in a "Gaming" Phone

Venatus

After watching the twitch stream today, i got to thinking that if a company were to launch a  "Next Generation" gaming phone it would need to bring new features to the market and introduce new innovation rather than just upgraded hardware. 

My thoughts- 
A flat joystick in place of the home button, that can also be used for menu navigation outside of games. 

Trigger bumpers on the corners of the phone that can be enables / disabled depending on your orientation

finger fitter buttons on the back of the device that work for game controls as well as OS functions outside of the game. 
Large Internal/External storage capacity,
Fast Wired/Wireless charging,
A case that adds extra "controller like" feel when gaming for longer sessions as well as adding as an external battery backup. 
Fast screen refresh rate
Multi Antenna wifi card, possibly a way to have a hardwired connection.

What do you think? 

This with a bigger screen? :)

1200px-Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Just now, Anghammarad said:

This with a bigger screen? :)

1200px-Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg

That is terrible, I'd say destroy it but it's probably bulletproof.

just throw LTE onto the Nvidia shield, and a tablet mount on the controller. Keep it the same 8" size but call it a phone.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Looks like a normal phone. No buttons or thickness. But, it easily supports an add-on accessory to attach a game controller mod.

Something like the image.

Image result for phone attachment controller

But it would attach on a bezel-less phone on the back with magnets and will be more compact and thinner. Face buttons on the right, a circle pad (or D-pad) on the left, with shoulder buttons.

-The attachment would integrate its own battery as well.

-Pro-motion similar display (120hz)

-Support for Nvidia gamestream

-Micro-SD slot

-Native support for Emulation

-Top of the line processor

-1080P or 1440p display

-Amy Miyake

Apple A11 Bionic (best chip in a phone), A 3DS like controler, large battery, the Metal API and App Store for the best game ports, and finally a large screen that is at least 1080p. 

Basically an iPhone 8 Plus with a bluetooth controler xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I don't want gaming phone but if I wanted one then I would definitely want physical buttons on the side in landscape mode... not sure how it would be implemented but it would have to be easily accessible at all times and not as an accessory like in the post above.

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

just throw LTE onto the Nvidia shield, and a tablet mount on the controller. Keep it the same 8" size but call it a phone.

Do you think LINUS will do a controller mounted LTE/tablet in a video? :D 

3 minutes ago, GoldfishGaming said:

That is terrible, I'd say destroy it but it's probably bulletproof.

not only bullet proof but one of the things that survives atomic fallout... 

If you think about it... they should dam in the meltdowns in Fukushima with nokia walls :)

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Just now, Anghammarad said:

not only bullet proof but one of the things that survives atomic fallout... 

If you think about it... they should dam in the meltdowns in Fukushima with nokia walls :)

sources say that Nokia scored the USA/Mexico Wall contract. 

If you can display the screen on the TV with low latency and use the phone as a controller. That would be pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just have a regular smartphone and a proper portable gaming device? The Switch is a thing that exists and is more or less what everyone is putting down in this thread anyways. It's basically the successor to the original NVidia Shield that NVidia never made. The only thing it doesn't have that people in this thread assume it should have is the ability to also be a smartphone. But when you can get a "good enough" smartphone for fairly cheap who cares? Especially when having two devices means playing a couple too many of hours of Skyrim won't mean you're now also without a phone.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I mean I'm completely fine with my S8+ and Switch.  To be honest as much as I love my phone I find myself playing on the Switch alot more.

image.png.a2b9d496085424ee2284f11fa7046dc9.png

Had this back in the day. Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Got rid of it less than six months later... 

For me, these are the things I would like to find in a phone built for gaming:

• Large display (I guess this is preference to the user, but for me I’d like a 5.5” such as the Plus model iPhones) with high pixel density and resolution.
  • Huge battery life
  • Stereo sound support (built-in speakers)
  • Ports at either end of the device (when in landscape) to attach extras such as button pads, joysticks, etc.
  • Great storage capacity

I might sound bias but it’s basically an iPhone for me.

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

For me the best phone for gaming is a :

• 6.3 inch screen with no bezels
    • I mean like non at all
  • At the back some sort of a grip for handling with buttons
  • A 7000 mAh battery
  • I would compromise size for all this.
  • A 11 Bionic chip
  • Speakers done by something like harmon/kardon
  • Runs Android and IOS

13 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

At least the ads were great. xD

Truthfully, I don't remember any of the ads. All I remember was trying to play a game and having it not load or freeze and of course the terrible version of android on it. Great concept but terrible execution. 

On 10/26/2017 at 3:48 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Explain what purpose a gaming phone would serve?

I'll say it... gaming. On a phone. It isn't for everyone, but you can't deny it is a huge category in itself.

From my perspective, it still has to be a phone, otherwise it would be a stand alone game console. This also limits the maximum size. Gaming phone, not gaming tablet. My requirements would be: more capacity and faster storage. Native storage, not horrible SD cards. Look at how much a 1TB SSD costs. Look at how much phone companies charge you per capacity. There is a lot of room for improvement there! On top of that... more ram, more CPU, more GPU. Like @Erik Sieghart said, screen response is also important, although I haven't played SIF in a long time. Oh yes, fat battery would help. I still don't get the pointless race to provide thin phones. It is simply a lost opportunity in providing adequate features. Personally I don't care about dedicated physical controls, maybe in part as the games I actually play don't support it. They're all touch controlled.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 10/26/2017 at 7:48 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Explain what purpose a gaming phone would serve?

Considering many modern phones have quite monstrous GPUs nowadays (the usefulness of which could be debated), one could argue that most phones are "gaming" phones.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…