Microsoft Studios is publishing PUBG for Xbox One instead of BlueHole

AlTech

Microsoft Studios, the game publishing division within Microsoft, is publishing Player Unknown's Battlegrounds for Xbox One.

This is rather interesting news as they are not the developers of the game and the game didn't go through the official Xbox Independent developer program.

Speaking on the Xbox Gamescom 2017 live stream, Creative Director at Bluehole Inc, Brendan Greene confirmed the developer has officially partnered with Microsoft in bringing the title to the platform. As a result, the game won't be going through Microsoft's ID@Xbox indie program, and instead officially published by via Microsoft Studios.

With this, Microsoft is now likely working much more closely with the developer of Battlegrounds, to ensure the game launches in a fit state as a part of the company's in-house offerings. However, it should be noted that this doesn't guarantee the game will remain an Xbox One console exclusive going forward, with previously Microsoft Studios published gaming having made their way to competing platforms.

(My highlight, not WindowsCentral's)

This could potentially be attributed to Microsoft making some changes to the game such as major performance optimizations. If the PC version is anything to go by, the game devs probably needed some help to get the game running on the Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

There is no news as to whether or not this title will offer a native 4K experience on Xbox One X or whether the game will run at 60fps at all. Based on what I've seen from others playing the PC version I'd be willing to say that only one of those 2 could possibly be coming but not the other.

I expect we'll either see: 2160p 30 fps, 1800p 30 fps or 1080p 60 fps on Xbox One X.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Standard Xbox One is only able to achieve 720p 60 fps or even 1080p 30 fps.

In a game like PUBG, I certainly hope they target 60fps due to the nature of the gameplay.

If Microsoft Studios publishing PUBG for Xbox One brings superior Visuals and/or Higher Framerates then I'm all for it :). But I think that Microsoft shouldn't make a habit of constantly needing to "fix" games being marketed and published on Xbox One. Whilst it does suggest Microsoft is interested in offering a curated experience, unlike Sony who was happy to promote Life Of Black Tiger and lower quality asset flips, I think that it could cause developers to think that publishing on Microsoft's platforms is more difficult than Sony's platform.

Sources:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-studios-now-publishing-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-xbox-one

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/899350258601398272

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

watch this be like csgo for consoles.. PUBG makes sense where people have mouse and keyboard due to the accuracy that m/K brings, whereas with controller FPS usually aim assist is needed. 

they need to add keyboard and mouse support  they owuld be able to add so many more games like cs go

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Dont think it will run 4K, even with major optimisations. It will be pretty competitive, shame it will only run upto 60 fps. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

lol 

Microsoft "hey, we want that game on our console"

Bluehole "cant be bothered, do it yourself if you want it that bad"

Microsoft "holm my lumia, im going in"

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Why call it an Early Access game if you're gonna start milking from other platforms? When is it "released" anymore?

44 minutes ago, Haaselh0ff said:

Why call it an Early Access game if you're gonna start milking from other platforms? When is it "released" anymore?

It's not actually out yet for other platforms. I'm sure by the time it will be ready for consoles it will no longer be Early Access on PC

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

6 hours ago, Droidbot said:

watch this be like csgo for consoles.. PUBG makes sense where people have mouse and keyboard due to the accuracy that m/K brings, whereas with controller FPS usually aim assist is needed. 

To be fair, Valve was never good at adapting their games into console forms.

Remember their port of Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox 360? Yeah...

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

To be fair, Valve was never good at adapting their games into console forms.

Remember their port of Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox 360? Yeah...

what was wrong with TF2 on Xbox?

I liked it for the time I played it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 hours ago, rn8686 said:

Dont think it will run 4K, even with major optimisations. It will be pretty competitive, shame it will only run upto 60 fps. 

Of course Microsoft will get it running at 4K*

*Upscaled 1080p and we'll just call it "4K" but with resolution scaling technology

-------

Current Rig

-------

As long as I don't have to play against them...oh wait...Can I play against them console plebs?! I honestly wouldn't mind if they are on the same servers since we can make our own squads (how I play most the time).

Hope this doesn't split focus on finishing the early access on pc. Should release PC then focus on console.

4 hours ago, Rupe said:

It's not actually out yet for other platforms. I'm sure by the time it will be ready for consoles it will no longer be Early Access on PC

Don't be so sure.  Several years ago, I backed 7 Days to Die on KS (seemed mildly interesting, at the time).  While they've had their console release out for something like a year now, the PC version is *still* in Alpha state, still receiving alpha updates.  They haven't even progressed to beta, yet.

Not saying that will happen with this game, just saying that a console release doesn't automatically imply a final release on PC.

Where are you people getting this idea the game isn't getting huge optimizations? When I first got it, I could barely play on an R9 290. Now I get the same FPS with an R7 360 playing with the same settings. Friend played the game before on an i7-920 and 560Ti, or another on am FX-6300 and 1050Ti

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Where are you people getting this idea the game isn't getting huge optimizations? When I first got it, I could barely play on an R9 290. Now I get the same FPS with an R7 360 playing with the same settings. Friend played the game before on an i7-920 and 560Ti, or another on am FX-6300 and 1050Ti

they just made it compatible with 6+ core CPU's (a few weeks ago)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

19 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

they just made it compatible with 6+ core CPU's (a few weeks ago)

Ya I believe it was the weekly update either last week or the week before

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Bluehole?

Bluehole!

great-belize-blue-hole.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list