Vega 64 MSRP increases [updated]

Giganizer300PRO
2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I don't really understand what advantage AMD sees in it tho.It

It maybe a long term thing.  AMD engineers might see gddr5/6/7 as being less efficient than future iterations of HBM.  If they have the groundwork done now then it may pay off later.    This is of course assuming Nvidia take just ass long to adopt HBM into their specific architecture.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

But people also thought Fury was used as an HBM experiment and for some reason they made HBM2. I don't really understand what advantage AMD sees in it tho.

It's expensive and doesn't seem to help that much with performance O_o It does allow a smaller PCB and whatever but still, don't really understand...

Considering how HBM does with 2160 gaming, I'd say they need a MUCH stronger core to see any benefit from the HBM. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

It maybe a long term thing.  AMD engineers might see gddr5/6/7 as being less efficient than future iterations of HBM.  If they have the groundwork done now then it may pay off later.    This is of course assuming Nvidia take just ass long to adopt HBM into their specific architecture.

The Volta P100 works with HBM2 so it's not impossible that the next high-end generation of Nvidia uses HBM2 because the pro stuff already does.

We do know HBC ended up as a big fail so there's that...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

True, but I got mine for 232 bucks.  If you can get one a fury or x or even a vega at a steal then go for it.  I was only upping from a 390, though.  One thing I do hate about the memory bandwidth/type is that it didn't want to work in a DDR2 era board.  To be fair, it was a cheap crappy Pegatron board from an HP build.  Put the fury in there and got no video out.  Sapphire and I thought it was broken.  Brother put it in his custom skylake build, worked fine.  Worked fine in Vash, but Gigabyte is still repairing the bad Gaming 7 they sold me as a refurb.  Replaced the Pegtron board today with a gigabyte 970 chipset since my friend got me a 1055t for a side build/project with a gtx 275 sli.  Fury would probably work in that board.  I feel like HBM and 2 only really helps with 2k and up for the sake of faster memory bandwidth over count.  Would probably help with rendering more than anything else.

I don't know about the Fury but i do know the RX 4XX series only works with BIOS's with UEFI support. My SO had an old FM2 system (i think, it was an amd quad-core and that was the fastest cpu that existed for that socket) and it refused to work with the RX 480 until i updated to the latest BIOS that had UEFI support. Suddenly it all worked :P

I considered getting Fury's but the card should last 4-5 years so 4GB wasn't enough for me :/

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Currently one Norwegian retailer has the price of a rx vega 64 set to  4 990 NOK ~wich is roughly 626 USD. 

The same site also puts the price of a gtx 1070 at 4 199 NOK wih is roughly 525 USD. 

just to mention the gtx 1080, it is priced at 5 499 NOK wich is roughly 816 USD.

Personally i would take any price a retailer puts out with a grain of salt. seeing how it is subject to change. not to metion the high price level of the Norwegian retail market

Source 1: https://www.komplett.no/search?q=rx vega&sort=Price%3AASCENDING

source 2: https://www.komplett.no/search?q=gtx 1070&sort=Price%3AASCENDING&category=10412_Skjermkort&subcategory=10488_PCI Express

Source 3: https://www.komplett.no/search?q=gtx 1080&category=10412_Skjermkort&sort=Price%3AASCENDING&subcategory=10488_PCI Express&hits=48

Update: the xfx vega card i used in the price comparison has been removed from the store. the cheapest card has now a price of 5 999 NOK or 754 USD. note that it is now a pack with two games included

I think everyone in Norway should just buy computer hardware in Sweden... Holy balls that's high prices seeing as they are basically the same amount of crowns in Sweden lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I don't think you can update the bios for UEFI if the maker is a company that even HP won't touch.

Also, you can either have higher memory bandwidth and less memory, or more RAM but lower bandwidth.  I'd rather have a mix of the two, not for gaming in general as you can go either or atm, but for modeling and editing work/testing.

If the manufacturer of the motherboard doesn't support their stuff at all then that's a different kind of issue of course :P

If the fury came with 8GB i would get it right away but sadly they don't :( At least with HBM2 we see high-capacity options available (FE has 16GB :p)

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I think everyone in Norway should just buy computer hardware in Sweden... Holy balls that's high prices seeing as they are basically the same amount of crowns in Sweden lol

Hmm that sounds very similar to what i'm doing. The benelux is a sh*tty place if you want AMD parts because well, we don't have them at all and if we somehow have them available they are like stupidly expensive. So Germany to the rescue!

That sounds quite weird tbh O_o

25 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

But people also thought Fury was used as an HBM experiment and for some reason they made HBM2. I don't really understand what advantage AMD sees in it tho.

It's expensive and doesn't seem to help that much with performance O_o It does allow a smaller PCB and whatever but still, don't really understand...

Maybe when HBM is whacked in an APU things might get interesting? But then again when is that going to happen...

It brings down the TDP by around 30W and kills mining performance, that's about it. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I can understand the need to use HMB2 put has it been a tangible advantage in any product for AMD?  Taking VEGA and attaching some much less expensive gddr6 and maybe cutting the price,  would have done wonders.  I've been in PC gaming for over 20yrs, and NEVER seen a scenario that a company raises the price of a product after launch in hindsight of it not being superior to  the competition. That's almost professional suicide of the product.   

If this is true. VEGA is DOA. What reasonable gamer would buy this?

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

Can't bring myself to care, Vega's a flop. Don't care about potential improves 6 months from now with drivers either, I'm through waiting. At this point I only see hardcore AMD fanboys buying this, it's Fury all over again.

poor vega

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, Deedot78 said:

I can understand the need to use HMB2 put has it been a tangible advantage in any product for AMD?  Taking VEGA and attaching some much less expensive gddr6 and maybe cutting the price,  would have done wonders.  I've been in PC gaming for over 20yrs, and NEVER seen a scenario that a company raises the price of a product after launch in hindsight of it not being superior to  the competition. That's almost professional suicide of the product.   

If this is true. VEGA is DOA. What reasonable gamer would buy this?

I don't know but it seems they are.  because it has either sold out or they just want people to think it is selling fast.

vega.png

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If this is real, and AMD is actually the one telling retailers to do this, then consumer VEGA is a sham. There is no way that AMD would be dumb enough to think that they could price the same performance as their competition 100 dollars higher, and that the excuse that "Well, it's that price if you buy a bundle" would fly with anyone. Compound that with the fact that they're a year and a half late, and I doubt AMD has any confidence that RX Vega is going to get anywhere. At this point, with the Frontier Edition, and this mess, it seems like they're just hoping to cut their losses, and not look like they have nothing to offer. Who knows; maybe VEGA APUs will wipe the floor with everything and sell like crack, maybe Navi will take the underlying tech and make it actually competitive at a reasonable price. Who knows, at this point it's hard to care.

17 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Currently one Norwegian retailer has the price of a rx vega 64 set to  4 990 NOK ~wich is roughly 626 USD. 

The same site also puts the price of a gtx 1070 at 4 199 NOK wih is roughly 525 USD. 

just to mention the gtx 1080, it is priced at 5 499 NOK wich is roughly 816 USD.

Personally i would take any price a retailer puts out with a grain of salt. seeing how it is subject to change. not to metion the high price level of the Norwegian retail market

Source 1: https://www.komplett.no/search?q=rx vega&sort=Price%3AASCENDING

source 2: https://www.komplett.no/search?q=gtx 1070&sort=Price%3AASCENDING&category=10412_Skjermkort&subcategory=10488_PCI Express

Source 3: https://www.komplett.no/search?q=gtx 1080&category=10412_Skjermkort&sort=Price%3AASCENDING&subcategory=10488_PCI Express&hits=48

Update: the xfx vega card i used in the price comparison has been removed from the store. the cheapest card has now a price of 5 999 NOK or 754 USD. note that it is now a pack with two games included

Wait Norway got vega 64 for 626USD launch and  754USD with the 2x game bundle? I thought Norway was supposed to be expensive...

Here in Finland we got a lovely 899.79USD launch price on the black edition, no idea what it's gonna be later as the site I'm looking at is still only listing launch stock which they have at -8. Oh and the same site has 1080 at 702.43USD and the 1080Ti at 877.01USD. So AMD is selling their Vega 64 Black edition at a higher price than Nvidia is selling their 1080Ti here in Finland.

Huh, so not only it can barely compete with 1080, the price is also higher even before they get jacked up by supply shortage. I guess this is also a way to push consumers to buy Vega 56?

In my country Vega 64 is listed in store for an equivalent of $1102.762 including 20%VAT. Available in 5 days.

21 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Who will pay $600 for a card that performs like a 1080 when you can get a 1080 for $500? xD

and also half the Power They need to be under $500 with it. The 56 is compelling though at least so far looking to be. Lets see where Prices of real cards land first though 

Vega is not listed in Poland at all, and apparently it won't be listed at all for a while... WTF is happening with this launch? o.O 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

RX Vega is a cheaper version of their Pro-level cards. That's actually the problem. They're not cut-down versions.

I don't think AMD is taking a bath at the launch price points, but this is going to irk a lot of people for a while. We also probably shouldn't ignore that, minus 8gb of memory, the RX Vega 64 should be a faster compute card than Vega FE.

We've talked about Vega being a transition uArch. It's much more of that than I realized. This is really AMD moving to the Compute side of things, but they weren't ready to do MCM setups yet.

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

I don't know but it seems they are.  because it has either sold out or they just want people to think it is selling fast.

vega.png

that is more than 1080TI's!  WTF.....

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

These are in Australian dollars. 1080ti usually costs around AUD1100 or more

That's australian dollars. 

HardwareUnboxed reached out to AMD and they told him the MSRP wasn't raised intentionally, it's just a result of a shortage of supply and/or excess demand. Not exactly shocking and to be honest I thought we all expected this, especially due to the miners. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive