Vega 64 MSRP increases [updated]

Giganizer300PRO
On 16/08/2017 at 2:56 AM, Deedot78 said:

I can understand the need to use HMB2 put has it been a tangible advantage in any product for AMD?  Taking VEGA and attaching some much less expensive gddr6 and maybe cutting the price,  would have done wonders.  I've been in PC gaming for over 20yrs, and NEVER seen a scenario that a company raises the price of a product after launch in hindsight of it not being superior to  the competition. That's almost professional suicide of the product.   

If this is true. VEGA is DOA. What reasonable gamer would buy this?

They won't stick any GDDR on Vega because their controllers for GDDR are garbage efficiency. Would ANYONE buy Vega with a 400W TDP figure?

22 hours ago, Notn4 said:

Wait Norway got vega 64 for 626USD launch and  754USD with the 2x game bundle? I thought Norway was supposed to be expensive...

Here in Finland we got a lovely 899.79USD launch price on the black edition, no idea what it's gonna be later as the site I'm looking at is still only listing launch stock which they have at -8. Oh and the same site has 1080 at 702.43USD and the 1080Ti at 877.01USD. So AMD is selling their Vega 64 Black edition at a higher price than Nvidia is selling their 1080Ti here in Finland.

Here in Sweden we got more or less the MSRP, everyone in Scandinavia should just buy computer stuff from Sweden because you are all getting scammed lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It would be absolutely not cool from OC3D to promote or invent a fake news if what HardWare Unboxed says is true. In my book Tom Logan from OC3D is a respected reviewer with vast knowledge of PC Hardware, like Ryan Shrout from Pcper or Steve Burke from GamersNexus. It would be sad if OC3D is promoting fake news but in the same time it is a good thing, Vega MSRP is not changing. Probably AMD will have the last word in this matter with an official statement. At some point.

3 hours ago, Kobz360 said:

HardwareUnboxed reached out to AMD and they told him the MSRP wasn't raised intentionally, it's just a result of a shortage of supply and/or excess demand. Not exactly shocking and to be honest I thought we all expected this, especially due to the miners. 

Don't know why but the video was taken down shortly after the upload

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

36 minutes ago, Agost said:

Don't know why but the video was taken down shortly after the upload

Bruh talk about drama 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

According to this article, AMD may have intentionally tried to hide the launch day pricing to make it look like the cards were always going to sell for the price they showed off initially.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/ocuks-andrew-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/

If that's true then that is some shady stuff from AMD and only further drives the nail into the coffin.

That is being purposely deceptive. Skewing reviews from the press as well.  So retailers where actually rebated to get the $499  price.  That means money would be lost on every sold unit otherwise.  So definitely no 499 price.   

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

If true, the whole pc gaming market will keep being f*cked up until the end of 2018.

Seriously, the 1080 Ti is paradoxically one of the best card price/performance wise. 

I, like most people, can't spend €800 for a video card. The 1080 has gone up again to the launch price, 1070s are €500+, freakin 1060s are €300. Forget about Polaris ones.

Now Vega underperforms, has high power consumption, low availability and high price. While AMD is going strong on the CPU side, it's digging on GPU side, the exact opposite of some years ago. Had high hopes for Vega, sincerely, but now I'll have to stick with a 670 even though I got a UHD Freesync monitor.

Nvdia was 100% correct in thinking that HBM isnt ready yet for Consumer Products how long wwas Vega Delayed how much more does it cost because of HBM2

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

5 minutes ago, Agost said:

If true, the whole pc gaming market will keep being f*cked up until the end of 2018.

Seriously, the 1080 Ti is paradoxically one of the best card price/performance wise. 

I, like most people, can't spend €800 for a video card. The 1080 has gone up again to the launch price, 1070s are €500+, freakin 1060s are €300. Forget about Polaris ones.

Now Vega underperforms, has high power consumption, low availability and high price. While AMD is going strong on the CPU side, it's digging on GPU side, the exact opposite of some years ago. Had high hopes for Vega, sincerely, but now I'll have to stick with a 670 even though I got a UHD Freesync monitor.

Why not go fkr a 980 or 980ti. They can be had for cheaper than a 1060 and 1070 respectively. 

980 > 1060 and is cheaper

980ti > 1070 and is cheaper

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Why not go fkr a 980 or 980ti. They can be had for cheaper than a 1060 and 1070 respectively. 

980 > 1060 and is cheaper

980ti > 1070 and is cheaper

980 is not enough for most games in UHD, used 980 Ti go for €350 at least and underperform when compared to 1070s and V56 in UHD. Moreover, can't use freesync.

Maybe a fury could do the trick, but I can't find anything on the used market here.

In speaking with different sources from different companies that work with AMD, GamersNexus learned that “Gibbo is right” regarding the AMD rebate expiry and subsequent price jump. AMD purportedly provided the top retailers and etailers with a $499 price on Vega 64, coupling sale of the card with a rebate to reduce spend by retailers, and therefore use leverage to force the lower price. The $100 rebate from AMD is already expiring, hence the price jump by retailers who need return. Rebates were included as a means to encourage retailers to try to sell at the lower $499 price. With those expiring, leverage is gone and retailers/etailers return to their own price structure, as margins are exceptionally low on this product.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3023-aib-partners-to-gn-yes-vega-price-will-change

So the price increase is because the retailers can do whatever they want with pricing now.

22 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3023-aib-partners-to-gn-yes-vega-price-will-change

So the price increase is because the retailers can do whatever they want with pricing now.

I'm not sure that is an entirely accurate thing to say... AMD gave the retailers a rebate on the first stock of cards to encourage them to price at $499, now that that rebate is over the cards cost the retailers more than 499 and they will mark up as needed to msrp or higher if they like since AMD cannot force them to sell at a specific price.

So... The price increase is not solely because retailers can do whatever they want now but because AMD initially offered them a rebate to sell the cards below what is now the cost to the retailers to purchase the cards.