Vega Frontier Edition officially launched $999

Valentyn

OH MY OH MY! Officially launched at $999. Sadly the water cooled version isn't due until Q3 September.

Video shows how switching to Game Mode works from Pro mode.

SUNNYVALE, Calif., June 27, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) today unleashed the first product based on its highly anticipated “Vega” graphics processing unit (GPU) architecture: Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition. Radeon Vega Frontier Edition is the world’s first graphics card designed to empower the next generation of data scientists, game designers and visualization professionals, with up to 172 percent faster rendering performance than the comparable competitor card1. Through its disruptive High Bandwidth Cache Controller, the cornerstone of the world’s most advanced GPU memory architecture – HBM2 – Radeon Vega Frontier Edition expands the capacity of traditional GPU memory to 256TB, allowing users to tackle massive datasets with ease, and scored up to 33 percent faster than the competition in the DeepBench benchmark that measures the performance of basic operations involved in training deep neural networks2.

“We’re dedicating Radeon Vega Frontier Edition to all the visionaries and trailblazers who embrace new technologies to propel their industries forward to help solve mankind’s greatest problems,” said Ogi Brkic, senior director and general manager, Radeon Pro business, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “With this powerful solution, we’ve brought the full weight of our new ‘Vega’ GPU architecture to bear, offering unmatched3 performance in the most demanding design, rendering, and machine intelligence workloads so that the world’s top creators, data scientists and game developers can reach new frontiers in their fields.”

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics cards are available from etailers in select regions today with an SEP of $999 USD for the air-cooled edition. The water-cooled edition is expected to launch in Q3 with an SEP of $1499.

JO5lPzN.jpg

dcYU7FN.png

For a prosumer card it actually looks fantastic value. It may not match or beat Radeon Pros, or Quadros; even cheaper ones; but it's ahead of the Titan Xp.

Also very important for Data Scientists, and people doing Machine Learning is that you can get 26 TFLOPs of FP16 compute.
The Instinct MI25 Vega card only has 24 TFLOPs of FP16; where as you need the Quadro GP100 or Tesla P100 to get double rate FP16 from NVIDIA. All which cost a lot more.

Even more interesting is that Frontier Edition has it's own unique drivers. It's not normal Radeon RX ReLive Drivers, of Radeon Pro. It's a true hybrid, and can apparently switch between Pro Mode, and Gaming mode.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what independent reviewers think, although for prosumers that don't game too much, it looks great value over the Titan Xp, and offers a lot of FP16 performance for only $999, compared to the GP100 offerings from NVIDIA.

The Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics card simplifies and accelerates game creation by providing a single GPU that is optimized for every stage of a game developer’s workflow. This includes everything from asset production to playtesting and performance optimization. 

With the Radeon Pro Settings user interface, users can seamlessly switch between “Radeon Pro Mode” and “Gaming Mode” to alternate between development on animation applications like Autodesk® Maya and performance optimizations with free, open source tools available through AMD’s GPUOpen initiative.

radeon-vega-frontier-edition-software-bl

We'll have to wait and see for gaming performance with these new hybrid drivers though; although the VRMark results are between GTX 1070 and 1080. Hopefully a driver issue.

Below is a current bug associated with the driver switching

When switching between Pro Mode and Gaming Mode, Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDRs) have been observed with multiple display configurations

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/frontier?os=Windows+10+-+64

It's also worth noting the drivers used at CES are the same ones currently available for the Frontier Edition. 17.20

So I would expect more improvements to come. Especially for the gaming side, as noted before there are issues switching between pro and gaming. This could impact performance of either. 

Also more pro performance numbers.

Frontier Edition

Catia = 135.78

Creo = 83.94

SolidWorks = 114.88

Siemens = 4.08

Cinebench = 183.28

Maya 2017 = 10.38

Titan Xp

Catia = 107.29 (~26.55% slower than FE)

Creo = 65.20 (~28.74% slower)

SolidWorks = 67.75 (~69.56% slower)

Siemens = 2.93 (~39.25% slower)

Cinebench = 169.72  (~7.99% slower

Maya 2017 = 3.81 (~172.44% slower)

1nruW3h.jpg

VRMark Numbers from May 2017 are not very good at all!

Frontier Edition

VRMark Orange Room = 8157

GTX 1080 Reference

VRMark Orange Room = 9408

Radeon Duo Pro ( Polaris )

VRMark Orange Room =  6596

OcC3D net VRMark results

638b0ca7d8d78270324c01e901d0df9daeb3bab4

Source: https://videocardz.com/press-release/amd-launches-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-for-999

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11583/amds-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-formally-launches-air-cooled-for-999-liquid-cooled-for-1499

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Tedny said:

Wait, FuryX faster than 1060? 

It's supposed to be competing with the 980Ti, but AMD does horribly in VR Mark it seems.

So blueeee

Just now, Tedny said:

Even a non X does little faster

perfrel_1920_1080.pngperfrel_2560_1440.png

Just now, Tedny said:

rx 480, horribly? 

It's okay, at best. 

Surprising how bad Vega does for 13.1 TFLOPs and a new arch in VR Mark.

Will need to wait for independant reviews.

8 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

It's okay, at best. 

Surprising how bad Vega does for 13.1 TFLOPs and a new arch in VR Mark.

Will need to wait for independant reviews.

I suppose the gaming Vega cards will do better in benchmarks like VR Mark. If not, they should be quite a bit cheaper at least.

13 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

So blueeee

am i the only one that hates that shroud ? it just looks so, bleh

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I suppose the gaming Vega cards will do better in benchmarks like VR Mark. If not, they should be quite a bit cheaper at least.

Well that all depends on drivers. The Fury X is doing very poorly in there compared to the 980Ti, and RX 480.

So hopefully Radeon RX certainly does better.

Team Red is the new Team Blue. 

Good job AMD, you've finally lost the plot.

xD 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

23 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Cinebench = 169.72  ~7.99% slower

Cinebench Open GL score was bottlenecked by the CPU, it's mostly a single core benchmark :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Cinebench Open GL score was bottlenecked by the CPU, it's mostly a single core benchmark :P

Aye, but how often does an AMD GPU beat an NVIDIA one in OpenGL?

Both used the same systems. 

23 minutes ago, Tedny said:

Yes, I mean the fury is faster than a 980 so... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

10 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Idk, but in Cinebench OpenGL, if you pair a 1060 with a 7700K at 5GHz you will get a better score than a Titan Xp with a Ryzen 7 1700, because single core performance :P

(AFAIK)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk, but in Cinebench OpenGL, if you pair a 1060 with a 7700K at 5GHz you will get a better score than a Titan Xp with a Ryzen 7 1700, because single core performance :P

True but if you check the footnotes they use a Xeon system for consistency across all the tests.

So if it's accurate it should be faster than the Xp if use a faster cpu as well. 

3 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

True but if you check the footnotes they use a Xeon system for consistency across all the tests.

So if it's accurate it should be faster than the Xp if use a faster cpu as well. 

I saw some benchmarks (quite some time ago) NVIDIA vs AMD on different CPUs and NVIDIA seems to consistently perform better than AMD on CPUs with lower IPC or clock speed, once the IPC or clock speed is higher the AMD GPU performance is starting to catch up.

If the CPUs were Xeons, they were probably low clock speed and it may have somehow affected the performance on AMD cards more.

I would like to see up to date benchmarks like these again but so few reviewers actually do it as it takes a lot of time and boring work.

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I saw some benchmarks (quite some time ago) NVIDIA vs AMD on different CPUs and NVIDIA seems to consistently perform better than AMD on CPUs with lower IPC or clock speed, once the IPC or clock speed is higher the AMD GPU performance is starting to catch up.

If the CPUs were Xeons, they were probably low clock speed and it may have somehow affected the performance on AMD cards more.

I would like to see up to date benchmarks like these again but so few reviewers actually do it as it takes a lot of time and boring work.

It's also worth noting the drivers used at CES are the same ones currently available for the Frontier Edition. 17.20

So I would expect more improvements to come. Especially for the gaming side, as noted before there are issues switching between pro and gaming. This could impact performance of either. 

I have a bad feeling about this.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

Both used the same systems. 

i think you are confusing OpenCL and OpenGL...traditionaly AMD GPU's are more efficient at OpenCL computing than Nvidia but when it comes to OpenGL rendering Nvidia is usually better.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i think you are confusing OpenCL and OpenGL...traditionaly AMD GPU's are more efficient at OpenCL computing than Nvidia but when it comes to OpenGL rendering Nvidia is usually better.

Nothing confused at all. Please reread my comment.

"but how often does an AMD GPU beat an NVIDIA one in OpenGL?"

The answer is rarely, because AMD is traditionally worse at OpenGL than NVIDIA.

Where in this case the Titan Xp was nearly 8% slower than the Vega card in OpenGL.

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Nothing confused at all. Please reread my comment.

"but how often does an AMD GPU beat an NVIDIA one in OpenGL?"

The answer is rarely, because AMD is traditionally worse at OpenGL than NVIDIA.

Where in this case the Titan Xp was nearly 8% slower than the Vega card in OpenGL.

i read you wrong sorry about that ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Wait for Volta

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

Wait for Volta

yeah let's face it, it took AMD a full 2 years to come up with something slightly worse than Nvidia's current architecture which came out a year and a half ago...they are a full generation behind now.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah let's face it, it took AMD a full 2 years to come up with something slightly worse than Nvidia's current architecture which came out a year and a half ago...they are a full generation behind now.

Well, if you want a good workstation card, Vega is probably a better option, but for gaming I bet that Vega will be on par with a 1080 +/-5%

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, if you want a good workstation card, Vega is probably a better option, but for gaming I bet that Vega will be on par with a 1080 +/-5%

I think it will be around 1080ti area or better. well these cards hit the selves on 7/1 and some reviews have pre ordered the card. PCPer is one that I know of that will be getting the card on release.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc