A sad day for modding, Take Two takes down GTA mods, issues C&D

So earlier this week Grand Theft Auto V's publisher Take Two issued a cease and desist letter to the biggest offline single-player modding menu known as OpenIV.

article from OpenIV: http://openiv.com/?p=1324

Stating that modding a game is "illegal" and the company can be sued, that caused a huge backlash in the community causing people to protest by giving GTA V negative reviews on steam, causing the negative reviews to spike upto 82% (Overwhelmingly Negative) on steam.

This morning, Take Two responded to that by issuing a cease and desist letter to ForceHax, which is a popular online modding platform which allowed user to gain and provide in-game money and help to other users while playing online. granted some users did take unfair advantage of the vast features that the menu offered, but the actions were entirely up to the player. 

The whole "modded money" was popular due the fact that everything GTA V is over-expensive and requires a lot of grinding to unlock things, and the pay2win method is also extremely expensive, for example, an 8 million GTA$ card costs 100 USD, and a jetbike costs 2 million GTA$, Bunker Research costs 9 million GTA$ and so on.

statement from Force: http://www.gta5hax.com

Most people think this is because take two has realized that its anti-cheat system is not working effectively and the only way to stop modding is by issuing C&D letters.

There are still tons of other mod menus for GTA Online that are still working but as far as I can see, it's just a matter of time before they all receive the same threat.

Its sad to see modders being taken down like that, instead of taking a better approach to this.

No, fuck Take Two. And i swear if they and R* make RDR2 console exclusive I'll never buy anything with R* snd Take Two logo again ever. Its been a great and long 17 years since i bought my first GTA and now they fuck us up because the want moar money, fucking money grab.

5 minutes ago, xx3987 said:

So earlier this week Grand Theft Auto V's publisher Take Two issued a cease and desist letter to the biggest offline single-player modding menu known as OpenIV.

article from OpenIV: http://openiv.com/?p=1324

Stating that modding a game is "illegal" and the company can be sued, that caused a huge backlash in the community causing people to protest by giving GTA V negative reviews on steam, causing the negative reviews to spike upto 82% (Overwhelmingly Negative) on steam.

This morning, Take Two responded to that by issuing a cease and desist letter to ForceHax, which is a popular online modding platform which allowed user to gain and provide in-game money and help to other users while playing online. granted some users did take unfair advantage of the vast features that the menu offered, but the actions were entirely up to the player. 

The whole "modded money" was popular due the fact that everything GTA V is over-expensive and requires a lot of grinding to unlock things, and the pay2win method is also extremely expensive, for example, an 8 million GTA$ card costs 100 USD, and a jetbike costs 2 million GTA$, Bunker Research costs 9 million GTA$ and so on.

Most people think this is because take two has realized that its anti-cheat system is not working effectively and the only way to stop modding is by issuing C&D letters.

There are still tons of other mod menus for GTA Online that are still working but as far as I can see, it's just a matter of time before they all receive the same threat.

Its sad to see modders being taken down like that, instead of taking a better approach to this.

:(

R.I.P GTA V mods. Was fun to play.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

I really don't understand what they are gaining by doing this, apart from a lot of negative press. Like seriously, why bother?

1 minute ago, lvh1 said:

I really don't understand what they are gaining by doing this, apart from a lot of negative press. Like seriously, why bother?

I just think they want to be able to sell their Pay2Win options, and since they can't detect modding effectively, they are just trying to shut everything down and screw everybody over

OP, your assumption is 100% wrong. OpenIV had nothing to do with GTA Online. OpenIV disabled the game's online features when you used it, making it impossible to use mods to mess with GTA Online. This has been the case since 2015. Rockstar has even promoted OpenIV on their blog on multiple occasions, showcasing mods they found cool. Other tools allowed people to mess with GTA Online, but not OpenIV.

9 minutes ago, Derangel said:

OP, your assumption is 100% wrong. OpenIV had nothing to do with GTA Online. OpenIV disabled the game's online features when you used it, making it impossible to use mods to mess with GTA Online. This has been the case since 2015. Rockstar has even promoted OpenIV on their blog on multiple occasions, showcasing mods they found cool. Other tools allowed people to mess with GTA Online, but not OpenIV.

If true, then this makes the case against Take Two even more compelling.

10 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Yes I agree, I NEVER said that OpenIV was used for Online Mods. I stated that it was biggest SINGLE-PLAYER modding menu

11 hours ago, xx3987 said:

There are working hacks to get money in online? What's the chance of getting banned for using them?

The grinding in GTA V is seriously stupid after you run out of Heist achievements. It doesn't help they keep adding new things to buy which cost ludicrous amount of in-game money. When crapily armored van cost more than twice as much as a jet, something is wrong with your pricing...

this is coming from the company that bans you for having discord open when GTA is open, acknowledges that it is a mistake, and refuses to unban you anyway. (Well rockstar really, but one and the same to me)

SUCK MY DICK 

I haven't pirated games in years, I'm 23 I can afford shit. However, I will never buy another game from these people. I will pirate their games in the future if I even play them. There's a difference between shit, lies and greed (ubisoft) and just plain malice for customers. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Take2 just like any company out there having shareholders have to listen to their crap. Problem is without shareholders there wouldn't be GTA V as we know it.

In a way we are all part of a problem. We want affordable games with hundreds of hours of gameplay and stunning attention to detail. This doesn't come from family business.

Well, I'd planned on buying GTA V at some point, but they lost my money now.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

They must protect their stupid microtransactions.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

9 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

this is coming from the company that bans you for having discord open when GTA is open, acknowledges that it is a mistake, and refuses to unban you anyway. (Well rockstar really, but one and the same to me)

SUCK MY DICK 

I haven't pirated games in years, I'm 23 I can afford shit. However, I will never buy another game from these people. I will pirate their games in the future if I even play them. There's a difference between shit, lies and greed (ubisoft) and just plain malice for customers. 

It's their right. And there's no proof they ban you for discord. I think that's just salty people who cheated.

22 minutes ago, ColdSteel said:

It's their right. And there's no proof they ban you for discord. I think that's just salty people who cheated.

....I literally posted a video of someone chatting with their support. What more proof do you want? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 6/18/2017 at 3:01 AM, crystal6tak said:

There are working hacks to get money in online? What's the chance of getting banned for using them?

Those that are hacking normally get banned eventually however if you're given money by one, not much happens. I've been given a total of about $330 mil by hackers and Rockstar have taken a bit back.

Having said that, I personally am seeing no issue with hacking cash in GTA 5 - it's so expensive to do anything and there is no reward for not killing everything and anything, even when it's another player trying to legitimately make money.

The new free DLC will cost you about $55 million in game - that's about $700 USD if you were to buy it with Sharkcards.

15 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Those that are hacking normally get banned eventually however if you're given money by one, not much happens. I've been given a total of about $330 mil by hackers and Rockstar have taken a bit back.

Having said that, I personally am seeing no issue with hacking cash in GTA 5 - it's so expensive to do anything and there is no reward for not killing everything and anything, even when it's another player trying to legitimately make money.

The new free DLC will cost you about $55 million in game - that's about $700 USD if you were to buy it with Sharkcards.

Sweet! looks like I'll be hunting some hackers then. I'm done with making cash legitimately.