Does Nintendo hate money?

OKAY RANT TIME

I just want to get a Nintendo Switch. It's a console and i know it's pretty new and all it's nice and I want one.

But there are literally none.

I completely understand if there's no more in stock for the first month, sometimes companies understock because they're not sure how well something is going to sell.

THIS CONSOLE HAS 4.8 STARS OUT OF 5 AND AMAZING REVIEWS, people like this thing Nintendo, no need to be scared about overstocking because a fuck ton more people want this thing

What gives?! It's been over 3 months and there are NONE. LITERALLY NONE ANYWHERE.

It's like they hate money! I want to see this company succeed they make damn good games but it's like they're trying to shoot themselves in the foot with this. When they restock next (who the fuck knows when that'll be) i might not have this money saved up anymore. $300s can be gone super quickly for a college student and i just want to buy the fucking thing and play Mario Kart 8 with my friends on my Birthday! But these fucktards at Nintendo would much rather line the pockets of scalpers instead of delivering products to consumers. It's ridiculous.

They can do this only because they have exclusive content.

#OpenSourceShill

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Thay are creating hype by limiting supply, and it is working. They did the same thing with the wii. You can find pleanty of videos on YouTube about this strategy. Nintendo is a corporation, and limiting supply in the first year or so can not only expand the life of the console, but it can lead to a lot of hype about it. It's all a play to get more profit. If they wanted to make as many as they could sell, they would. But they would rather see all the ones they send to a GameStop sell in a day then have unsold consoles in warehouses. And they would rather have the publicity the limited supply gets them than not. 

326201715030012955.jpg.7f16fd7ac9b9ad65af1801eaabfb35aa.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

this crap happens with most things, look at GPU's, and other Consoles, if you didn't get a PS3 on launch day you had to be lucky and catch a random shipment for like the next month or so, same with the Wii, it's not about not making enough, it's about launching before production has ramped up enough to meet the demand, same shit with the 1080 and later the 1080ti, as well as the RX480 and later the 580, companies have to rush to market before the competition beats them and so they launch with limited quantities, just look at the AM4 motherboard fiasco for reference, AMD launched Ryzen MONTHS before the MOBO manufactures where told by AMD it would launch which is why AM4 board supply was so limited.

Does Nintendo hate money?

LOL. Nintendo has so much money in their reserves they could literally sell NOTHING for years ago would still be profitable company.

See http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-not-doomed/

Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank – enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there’s almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out – we’re in the year 2075 by this point – they’ve got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business.

47 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

326201715030012955.jpg.7f16fd7ac9b9ad65af1801eaabfb35aa.jpg

Aye, I see Mario playing around there. HE NEEDS TO GET FIRED FOR NOT EVEN SHIPPING A BOX.

They have a bunch in stock in Cleveland. I own 1 myself and can go buy a bunch more if i wanted.

-Didja (Josh)

Ramping up production at short notice is difficult and expensive, and is limited by the supply of the scarcest component. Then there is a issue of what to do with the addition manufacturing capacity you've purchased when the demand subsides, which could be before the break even point. This isn't an issue unique to Nintendo, it often affects new consoles, high end phones and other items where the demand for a product is heavily weight towards the beginning of it's life cycle. They could have waited to release the Switch, build up inventory, but then there is the cost of storage and the fact the Wii U was dead with stock running very low and they quite likely felt they needed a Nintendo (home) console available for sale.

I'm not sure I buy Nintendo purposefully restricting supply, they want to sell games (where the profit is) and they can't do that unless they get consoles in peoples hands. Hype does you no good unless you can monetize it.

5 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

There isn't a Nintendo exclusive for me to warrant a $300 console/tablet. Unless E3 2017 shows promising games coming out, I plan on waiting. At this time, I am looking at the Xbox Scorpio console purchase rather than the Switch. But who knows, Nintendo might release a amazing game, but even if that happens, would that still warrant a $300 console purchase for one or two games? Hell, no lol. 

Why the Scorpio when you already have such a killer PC and all the XBone exclusives come out on Windows? Just for RDR2?

14 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

There isn't a Nintendo exclusive for me to warrant a $300 console/tablet. Unless E3 2017 shows promising games coming out, I plan on waiting. At this time, I am looking at the Xbox Scorpio console purchase rather than the Switch. But who knows, Nintendo might release a amazing game, but even if that happens, would that still warrant a $300 console purchase for one or two games? Hell, no lol. 

I agree but since I have a PS4 and no 4k TV I really don't have a reason to buy a Scorpio. I don't own a Wii U so as far as party games go such as Mario Kart 8 and soon the rerelease of Smash Bros on the Switch I have much better reason to get it. The only reason i'm in a hurry to get it now is I have the money now and you never know what could happen in one month, so I want to secure the purchase while I still can.

Nintendo can make as many Switches as they want... IF they can source all the parts required to do so, when a lot of those same parts are in high demand by companies like Apple, ASUS & HTC for making SMARTPHONES & TABLETS.

Sure, the Switch is running a Nvdia Tegra X1, but that same chip is used in the Nvidia Shield Android TV, Google Pixel C, and Nvidia Drive CX & PX (self-driving car tech).

The chips for the Switch's 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM? Those are also in demand by Apple, HTC and the like for their high-end smartphones and tablet.

The 32GB of internal flash memory storage? Again, those sort of chips will be in high demand by smartphone and tablet makers for their medium & high-end devices...

So no, Nintendo isn't deliberately hiding large stockpiles of Switches for artificial scarcity to drive hype (though the supply of systems being high/low is always relative to your area, population & demand for the system in that area), they would ramp up production of systems to over-compensate for demand - if they didn't run into issues further back in the supply chain for parts, if another company basically locks down large enough production runs of parts to feed other devices (Apple easily can do this for iPhones & iPads, depriving other device makers of RAM & storage chips for months on end if they want).

On 6/11/2017 at 4:22 AM, Didja said:

They have a bunch in stock in Cleveland. I own 1 myself and can go buy a bunch more if i wanted.

*population of cleveland jumps by 20%*

ps you could be one of those scalpers who sells them on ebay...

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

2 hours ago, YedZed said:

*population of cleveland jumps by 20%*

ps you could be one of those scalpers who sells them on ebay...

Heh, i could, but i'd don't believe in scamming people for their money. Messed up on many accounts.

-Didja (Josh)

On 2017/6/14 at 1:24 PM, Olroy1234 said:

Supposedly the Switch is pretty expensive to manufacture

Nintendo claims or claimed the Switch is to make a profit per unit sold.  I can honestly see that as nothing about the console is too radical in terms of tech.  Whatever it is, I plan on picking one up today. 

On 6/11/2017 at 2:16 AM, doomsriker said:

Thay are creating hype by limiting supply, and it is working.

It's one of the best selling consoles of all time.  I don't think that's it.  It's quite possible that they just can't meet the demand.  It's also possible that they just weren't expecting this.  The Wii U didn't do very well and they had a surplus of consoles.

On an interesting side note, Nintendo sold more Switch-specific copies of Breath of the Wild than they did actual Switch consoles.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

15 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I like Microsoft consoles and I would like to play/watch 4K content on my 4K TV lol. Plus, recently Nintendo announced that there is a Metroid Prime 4 in the works, so when that game comes out I'm buying a Switch for that game. Besides, my PC isn't "killer" and I want the Xbox One X really badly lol. I'm gonna pre-order that cock sucker as soon as it comes out.

Dude i7-5930k + GTX 980 Ti SLI is pretty freaking killer. Makes sense though, I have my gaming PC on my TV now since most games I play with a controller. I might have to move it back to my monitor for a month or two to play Wolfenstein II and COD WWII though since I strongly prefer mouse & keyboard for FPS. I agree on being hyped on the Switch. After seeing that Super Mario Odyssey preview that system looks like a must and I expect to buy one this year, though I'll probably wait for Christmas and hopefully a game bundle or holiday discount. I have never played the Metroid Prime series but man I loved the 2D Metroid games, so I'm definitely going to have to play the first three on dolphin to see whether I should buy the fourth (assuming Nintendo doesn't put them up on the Switch virtual console, if they do then I'll buy at least the first to see what I think of it).

After two months on shelves:

PS4: 5.1mill

Wii: 4mill

DS: 3.5mill

XBOne: 3.3mill

PSP: 2.7mill

3DS: 2.6mill

Wii U: 2.4mill

360: 1.8mill

PS3: 1.6mill

Switch: 5.5mill

Artificially limiting supply? I'm not convinced

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's one of the best selling consoles of all time.  I don't think that's it.  It's quite possible that they just can't meet the demand.  It's also possible that they just weren't expecting this.  The Wii U didn't do very well and they had a surplus of consoles.

On an interesting side note, Nintendo sold more Switch-specific copies of Breath of the Wild than they did actual Switch consoles.

Yeah Nintendo couldn't flood the market with Switches after how bad the Wii U did. But now it looks like it's going to be really serious competition to the PS4. Enough that I think we're going to see lots of 3rd party games for the Switch at next year's E3.

1 minute ago, skywake said:

After two months on shelves:

PS4: 5.1mill

Wii: 4mill

DS: 3.5mill

XBOne: 3.3mill

PSP: 2.7mill

3DS: 2.6mill

Wii U: 2.4mill

360: 1.8mill

PS3: 1.6mill

Switch: 5.5mill

I can't believe the 360 sold so poorly at launch. That was an amazing system. Expensive though I guess. I bought it a few months after launch and it was $400 or $450, I forget which.

The Switch is stupid popular for whatever reason. My brother went to a Toys 'R Us here in Huntsville back in mid May and waited in a line just to get one.

That's Huntsville, a city with ~185,000 people. You can only imagine the demand in larger cities.

In short, Nintendo doesn't hate money. It's just ridiculously popular.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

9 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah Nintendo couldn't flood the market with Switches after how bad the Wii U did. But now it looks like it's going to be really serious competition to the PS4. Enough that I think we're going to see lots of 3rd party games for the Switch at next year's E3.

I just hope EA doesn't release half assed ports as an excuse to drop support for it.  Otherwise, looking forward to the next few months of the switch... just need to find where I can buy one.