Intel 300 series chipset

NumLock21
1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

TBH it's AMD's fault for naming their chipsets X370 and B350 when they know that intel will have a Z370 and B350 coming.

Honestly, I think AMD did it intentionally, which I'm not fond of.  Their marketing division should be shot for naming the Ryzen CPU/chipsets so similarly to Intel's lineup (okay, maybe that was a bit harsh, but you get my point).

11 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Honestly, I think AMD did it intentionally, which I'm not fond of.  Their marketing division should be shot for naming the Ryzen CPU/chipsets so similarly to Intel's lineup (okay, maybe that was a bit harsh, but you get my point).

then how are they going to name it if you cant use numbers in the product naming scheme?

'i just bought a ryzen seep!'

5k posts woo!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, themctipers said:

then how are they going to name it if you cant use numbers in the product naming scheme?

R7 R5 and R3 is literally a clone of i7 i5 and i3

Chipsets could have a different name, especially since the KNOW that intel will come out with a chipset with the same name.

just making something up off the top of my head

Enthusiast - X1

Mainstream - M1

Low-End / Prebuilt - P1

Next gen could be X2/M2/P2

doesn't really matter. but basically, I'm just saying that AMD could have thought of a name that didn't collide with intel's scheme.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

Slap a black or white logo of each company on the proper board and you're fine. I mean or just know Intel is LGA and AMD is PGA.

You're overestimating the average consumer.

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

R7 R5 and R3 is literally a clone of i7 i5 and i3

Chipsets could have a different name, especially since the KNOW that intel will come out with a chipset with the same name.

just making something up off the top of my head

Enthusiast - X1

Mainstream - M1

Low-End / Prebuilt - P1

Next gen could be X2/M2/P2

doesn't really matter. but basically, I'm just saying that AMD could have thought of a name that didn't collide with intel's scheme.

It's easier for consumers (regular consumers, not techies) to compare them to intels naming scheme as they've been a thing for almost a decade. 

I agree with you on the chipsets part, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

What is the purpose of integrated wireless ac?Does this mean that every motherboard will be able to wirelessly connect to a network?

I still think that labeling USB 3.0 as 3.1 Gen 1 is still a joke.

3.0 is 5Gbps and 3.1 is 10Gbps, companies are still bad marketing with it imo.

Hopefully by the time coffee lake comes out, more mid ranges devices that have USB 3.1 will come instead of keeping it at the $1200 or so price point.

2 hours ago, Notional said:

Not gonna happen. They plan on releasing quad cores for x299. 

They had a quad core on X79 and it was junk. So is the quad core on X299. Doesn't even get quad channel or all those lanes iirc. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

5k posts woo!

You can't really be that dense, can you?

I obviously was referring to the *specific* numbering scheme they used.  They could have used any numbering system they wanted, instead they opted for one that mirrors Intel's.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

You can't really be that dense, can you?

I obviously was referring to the *specific* numbering scheme they used.  They could have used any numbering system they wanted, instead they opted for one that mirrors Intel's.

It's the smart move. Customers have been buying processors with that naming scheme for years now, so what that means is that they can latch onto AMD's naming scheme instantly because it's the same. So they know that if they want an i7 equivalent, they have to by a Ryzen 7 (or R7 for short but that's not official). Anything else would actually be stupid. No need to make it more complicated and different than it has to.

The chipset naming scheme could use some work but then again: you look at the socket first and foremost, so anyone that would buy such a processor should have the bare minimum of knowledge on the subject. The average consumer buys laptops and don't have to consider these things.

Guys i have probably dumb question:

Wasn't the lga 1151 supposed to die with kaby lake? Or we will be able to run 8th gen processor on the 1151 socket?

Integrated wifi? FINALLY.

The only way for most people is to get a pcie card if they need wifi, and using a M.2 wifi card is kinda difficult in most cases (getting the cables etc)

Too bad I have a Z170 and a 6700K, I won't have the money to upgrade

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

9 minutes ago, Agost said:

Integrated wifi? FINALLY.

The only way for most people is to get a pcie card if they need wifi, and using a M.2 wifi card is kinda difficult in most cases (getting the cables etc)

Too bad I have a Z170 and a 6700K, I won't have the money to upgrade

I was under the impression that current wifi was motherboard dependent and I'm guessing it will still be board dependent.

You need antennas anyway and I'm guessing it'll ship with the board just like now, so it seems to be me that they just moved the wifi chip from the motherboard and into the CPU but you'll still need a motherboard that ships with antennas. You could argue that it would create incentive for wifi to be included in most or all boards.

So will the 200 series mobos get cheaper until or when the 300 series will launch? Or stay the same?

47 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I was under the impression that current wifi was motherboard dependent and I'm guessing it will still be board dependent.

You need antennas anyway and I'm guessing it'll ship with the board just like now, so it seems to be me that they just moved the wifi chip from the motherboard and into the CPU but you'll still need a motherboard that ships with antennas. You could argue that it would create incentive for wifi to be included in most or all boards.

WiFi has always been an addon, and almost always as a small addon card, using different SFF PCI/PCIe standards throughout the years. Some boards ship with WiFi specific ports (currently M.2), and often occupy the port with a WiFi card.

Now, the southbridge would very likely house the WiFi chipset, and all platform compatible CPUs (Sky and Kaby might be compatible if it is the same LGA1151 socket as 100 and 200 series boards), meaning that the board manufacturers just need to add jacks for the antennas.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

52 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

If the wifi capability is integrated in the chipset, you'll just need the antennas on the I/O zone, much cheaper to integrate than current wifi equipped mobos

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

integrated wifi is such a bad idea from a security standpoint. i don't want communications hardware i can't physically remove.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

integrated wifi is such a bad idea from a security standpoint. i don't want communications hardware i can't physically remove.

Theoretically, since it's integrated into the CPU/chipset, it should be possible to disable it in the BIOS.  Of course, we won't know for certain until the 300 series actually launches or someone gets a review copy to inspect.

17 hours ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

Wasn't the lga 1151 supposed to die with kaby lake? Or we will be able to run 8th gen processor on the 1151 socket?

Coffee and Cannon Lake have been confirmed to work on it since the middle of 2016. I sincerely doubt Intel will reverse course on that.

3 hours ago, tlink said:

I'm guessing all the handling equipment and buffers are on-chipset and the actual radio/antenna block has to be added for the motherboard to actually have active wifi.

5 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

I'm guessing all the handling equipment and buffers are on-chipset and the actual radio/antenna block has to be added for the motherboard to actually have active wifi.

Yes but that is exactly the part I don't like. I want the active circuitry to be removable, I don't give a rats ass about antennas and traces if there is nothing to interpret the signals.

1474132227-6223.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'm not going to be replacing my Maximus IX Hero with a 300 series board. Moving USB 3.1 and AC WiFi onto the Intel chipset has no appeal for me.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

On 4/17/2017 at 6:46 AM, Flavio hc 16 said:

If Intel was still doing Tick, Tock I think 1151 would be gone with Cannon/Coffee Lake. However since they are doing their 3 step Process, Optimise, Architecture (or whatever it is they call it) it seems like they are now keeping their sockets around for at least 3 generations. Hell if by some miracle they keep the 1151 socket around longer than 3 generations I wouldn't complain, actually I'd compliment them.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2