Issue with ADS

Sir Asvald
Go to solution Solved by Slick,

OMG THEY'RE TRYING TO FORCE US ALL TO BECOME CONTRIBS!

Nope.. No.. Someone just screwed up and didn't enable changes for only admins.

Everything should be better now other than some minor style issues.

I'm a supporter of Linus and I've got ad-block disabled for the forums. Now I'm not sure it this is showing for everyone here:

But this is what I'm getting:

Spoiler

e406077e0cbe5d347cf8fa31c98d73d5.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

They are showing up for me as well, as a non paying forum pleb.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

They are showing up for me as well, as a non paying forum pleb.

Oh, I thought it was me. I don't mind having ads, they seem broken. :/ 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Oh, I thought it was me. I don't mind having ads, they seem broken. :/ 

They seem to be quite a bit too much tbh.

You got ads:

on the top and bottom of the page. After the first post/after the first thread in a sub forum and on the right too. 

I'm assuming they are just testing something now.. Otherwise I'll just have to deal with the ads from a place I can't even buy from.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

They seem to be quite a bit too much tbh.

You got ads:

on the top and bottom of the page. After the first post/after the first thread in a sub forum and on the right too. 

I'm assuming they are just testing something now.. Otherwise I'll just have to deal with the ads from a place I can't even buy from.

Amazon doesn't like you?  That's sad...  ?

When did the forum get all the Amazon ads? they don't scale well on mobile.

wp_ss_20170407_0001.png

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Amazon doesn't like you?  That's sad...  ?

Yes, they sent me a handwritten letter telling me they h8 me :/

/s

It's just that it's an advertisement of the American Amazon, which I technically can buy from, but with the added costs for importing it won't be worth it.. In the past I got Newegg ads, which I technically can buy from, but won't because of the same previously mentioned reason.. But that was just one ad on the home page. This is a more in your face ad.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

These are some seriously obnoxious ad positions. o.O

top, under op and bottom it seems. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

I don't mind the ones on the side, top or bottom of the page, but the one after the first post in a topic or forum is really annoying and poorly placed (or really well placed for being noticed).

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yup, and underneath the first post or topic as well.  Even uMatrix is showing the ad positions.  Luckily without the ads themselves. 

58e7ec8aea0d1_effingads.jpg.c713b88dab6b17a13d5674c9409cc32a.jpg

This kind of BS is exactly why I run adblockers everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Yes, they sent me a handwritten letter telling me they h8 me :/

/s

It's just that it's an advertisement of the American Amazon, which I technically can buy from, but with the added costs for importing it won't be worth it.. In the past I got Newegg ads, which I technically can buy from, but won't because of the same previously mentioned reason.. But that was just one ad on the home page. This is a more in your face ad.

Do you mind if I ask what country you're in?    Is there an Amazon for that country or one closer than the US?

I agree, these ads are a lot more in your face than normal and it's very annoying to me.  

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you mind if I ask what country you're in?    Is there an Amazon for that country or one closer than the US?

I agree, these ads are a lot more in your face than normal and it's very annoying to me.  

Well yeah I could order stuff from Germany.. But with free shipping at stores in my country it's usually not a compelling offer.

Plus these ads don't help me a bit anyways. "Portable Speakers under $150". I don't use the dollar, so that price + the prices mentioned when visiting the page are irrelevant to me.

Aaaanyways, I'll stop taking this thread off topic now. It's more about the placement and size of the ads and not its content.

Just stop, your gonna make me unwhitelist these forums.

image.png

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

This is when people start using adblock.

@colonel_mortis Uhmm. Is this supposed to happen? :P

I saw the ads, refreshed the page, refreshed again, and then enabled uBlock.

LTT has been good about ads in the past, they seem to understand how to integrate them in an agreeable way, so I honestly don't think I'll keep it on for long.

But I'm still not dealing with in-your-face ads in the mean time.

Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

First I dont know were to put this so its going here.

I white list LTT becasue the ads were fine and not intrusive but I just notice that a banner ad is not in the middle of the list of topics, this really bugs me and I feel inclined to turn on ad block.

were do i complain or pay for it to go away?

EDIT: I am fine with the top, bottom, side ADs just not the one in the middle is triggering me.

Spoiler

chrome-17040737.png

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I already turned on adblock, ads between posts is ridiculous.

Spoiler

Sorry LTT, I love this website but the only solution other than leaving is adblock (too poor to buy contributor)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

i just wanna say the banner ads seriously bug me, the amount of screen realestate they're wasting is ridiclous, i cant have the top banner, the OP, and the first reply on my screen...

The bronze, silver or gold memberships get rid of the ads: https://linustechtips.com/main/store/

But ads like this are kinda ridicilous.. I used to be ale to see the OP and first reply, but now I can only see the OP.. This is certainly a way to get people to become a contributor here (or turn adblock on).

Yeah, I've never had adblock on ltt but this is actually making it harder to use the forum...

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I've made a topic about it too! :P