Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

This is why you solder everything and solder it well.

it was the plastic connector for the plug xD if you added solder to that the battery plug wouldnt fit in it. like the plastic part of the jst connecter xD 

2 hours ago, Legolessed said:

lol maiden of my plane ended in kind of a disaster. it was flying beautifly until everything just shut off no connection whatsoever when it crashed i found that the physical connecter to my esc had fallen off, thats great xD 

looks like it was a weekend for it, was blasting some laps around the track having a great ol time when ended up in a tree and while the drone has no marks of damage got a dead motor, so willsee this weekend, hopefully its just a fried ESC not a motor as the ones I run are only available in sets of 4 and really don't feel like buying new motors 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I charged up all my batteries last night and then didn't fly today :( Having to discharge packs sucks.

ASU

4 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

looks like it was a weekend for it, was blasting some laps around the track having a great ol time when ended up in a tree and while the drone has no marks of damage got a dead motor, so willsee this weekend, hopefully its just a fried ESC not a motor as the ones I run are only available in sets of 4 and really don't feel like buying new motors 

That sucks man

3 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I charged up all my batteries last night and then didn't fly today :( Having to discharge packs sucks.

At least your build works. I had the rush of a successful maiden before my plane fell out of the sky and has some pretty major damages

7 hours ago, Legolessed said:

That sucks man

At least your build works. I had the rush of a successful maiden before my plane fell out of the sky and has some pretty major damages

Eh, one of them. The one I like to fly has a bum motor. 

ASU

would it be possible to connect my fpv camera without the vtx. like via micro USB to my Blu r1 he and would I be able to use it as camera for my phone?? like record video off it. just for Lols.

45 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

would it be possible to connect my fpv camera without the vtx. like via micro USB to my Blu r1 he and would I be able to use it as camera for my phone?? like record video off it. just for Lols.

Idk how the video signal would work over usb, but sure. I've plugged one of my cams into my TV to program it, it's just an analog video signal. 

ASU

8 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Idk how the video signal would work over usb, but sure. I've plugged one of my cams into my TV to program it, it's just an analog video signal. 

so id need an analog to digital converter though. I was seeing if it would be a good bike cam xD or wether i should just use my action camera

8 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

so id need an analog to digital converter though. I was seeing if it would be a good bike cam xD or wether i should just use my action camera

FPV Cams are hacked analog security cams. That's why their resolutions are measured in TV Lines instead of pixels. Use an action cam.

ASU

27 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

FPV Cams are hacked analog security cams. That's why their resolutions are measured in TV Lines instead of pixels. Use an action cam.

Ok awesome thanks.

One interesting thing I found online to help with shaky footage is virtual dub deshaker. Anyone use this? Iforce he uses it and it look apretty good in his videos. 

I dontthink there is no need

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

I dontthink there is no need

I know some people stabilize their videos with some special fancy stabilizing software. It makes some good looking shots.

ASU

43 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I know some people stabilize their videos with some special fancy stabilizing software. It makes some good looking shots.

Yeah when I Worked with GoPro filming at a festival we ran a good amount of it through stabilizing software, if you want to make very pretty videos with a GoPro can see this been useful, I've never cared enough to strap mine onto my drone but guess if you wanted that epic footage thats the way to go 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

finally getting my new soldering iron today so i can continue to build my mini quad :D

Nice! A good, adjustable, iron is very important for building. 

ASU

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Nice! A good, adjustable, iron is very important for building. 

aaaand its there, time to start soldering with that TS100

33 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

aaaand its there, time to start soldering with that TS100

That thing is awesome! A guy in my fpv group has one, great for field repairs. 

ASU

Rip my quad. I exploded and parts went everywhere. It was a good quad..... It served me well.

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

Rip my quad. I exploded and parts went everywhere. It was a good quad..... It served me well.

Oh noes, the 2" one?

ASU

Just now, Legolessed said:

ya. the 2" one. 

How did you manage to explode a whole 2" quad? They have so little mass I would think it would't have enough momentum to kill itself. Especially with a carbon frame.

ASU

54 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

How did you manage to explode a whole 2" quad? They have so little mass I would think it would't have enough momentum to kill itself. Especially with a carbon frame.

I was in acro trying to do acrobatics and it just smashed full speed into the ground. I just suck at flying

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

It didn't entirely break but it's not worth the cost of repairing it. It would be better to build something else.

greetings, multicopter thread

I have finally, at long last, joined your illustrious ranks (hopefully)

Just finished my first build, and proceeded to snap my PDB XT60 connection plate thing in a crash (rip in peaches).

as it was my first time soldering anything, I accidentally fried my camera by soldering it to the 12v instead of 5v pad. The VTX is fine, however. 

although I only 'flew' for about 15 seconds (acro mode is so much harder than a phantom), it was amazingly fast, and I can't wait for my new camera and PDB to arrive. (also ordering some matching props)

P1030155.thumb.JPG.badd1e865f36ebf2b96d539b9a2bd335.JPG

P1030157.thumb.JPG.90ceeec4631754b9850c502299e25657.JPG

P1030158.thumb.JPG.c8656683da352b2874e82dfb18826b5d.JPG

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

19 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

greetings, multicopter thread

I have finally, at long last, joined your illustrious ranks (hopefully)

Just finished my first build, and proceeded to snap my PDB XT60 connection plate thing in a crash (rip in peaches).

as it was my first time soldering anything, I accidentally fried my camera by soldering it to the 12v instead of 5v pad. The VTX is fine, however. 

although I only 'flew' for about 15 seconds (acro mode is so much harder than a phantom), it was amazingly fast, and I can't wait for my new camera and PDB to arrive. (also ordering some matching props)

Nice Banggood special! The martian isn't a bad frame, but I've heard those motors are made of cheese. Maybe some 2206 hyperlites as an upgrade? Also I'm looking at your pics and it looks like you have some nylon standoffs on top of the aluminum ones? Also what is going on with your stack? Three boards and wires everywhere! Lastly, I'm hoping those wires off your XT60 are just for VBAT and not your actual power leads. If they are your power leads, you'll need to bump that up to 12awg or you're going to burn your wire.

ASU