Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
35 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Nice Banggood special! The martian isn't a bad frame, but I've heard those motors are made of cheese. Maybe some 2206 hyperlites as an upgrade? Also I'm looking at your pics and it looks like you have some nylon standoffs on top of the aluminum ones? Also what is going on with your stack? Three boards and wires everywhere! Lastly, I'm hoping those wires off your XT60 are just for VBAT and not your actual power leads. If they are your power leads, you'll need to bump that up to 12awg or you're going to burn your wire.

yep, didn't want to spend too much initially

if and when these motors go, I'll definitely consider those (I know almost nothing about quads)

the nylon standoffs are to make the top plate slightly higher so my stack fits underneath; without them, the carbon contacts the flight controller, which is probably bad (as carbon is conductive afaik).

idk what VBAT is, but those are my ESC wires. I've been following this guide, and that's what recommended, so I guess it's fine. I'm not sure, however.

EDIT: also, as a side note, what camera would you recommend?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 hour ago, shadowbyte said:

yep, didn't want to spend too much initially

if and when these motors go, I'll definitely consider those (I know almost nothing about quads)

the nylon standoffs are to make the top plate slightly higher so my stack fits underneath; without them, the carbon contacts the flight controller, which is probably bad (as carbon is conductive afaik).

idk what VBAT is, but those are my ESC wires. I've been following this guide, and that's what recommended, so I guess it's fine. I'm not sure, however.

EDIT: also, as a side note, what camera would you recommend?

The hyperlites are made by brotherhobby, there some of the better performing motors as of late.

Those nylon standoffs are going to break in a crash. Get rid of the PDB if you can and just use the 4-in-1 esc. You may need to add some kind of 5v and or 12v regulator to power your flight controller and video systems, just make sure whatever regulator you add can supply the current. Also yes, CF is conductive

VBAT is the battery voltage sensor for telemetry data, I'm guessing you're not using that xD Keeping in mind that your average 2205 2300 with a heavy prop like the cyclone can pull in excess of 100 amps  (total, across all four motors). That little 18awg wire is not going to survive 100+ amps, get some 12awg between your battery and ESCs.

ASU

On 8/26/2017 at 11:47 AM, shadowbyte said:

Snip

Welcome man, Good build. 

Yeah Thats what you going to find, something is always going to break and with the cheaper stuff its more often. I've got some mates running those motors and they having a good time, the Hyperlights are epic, I though have little interest in upgrading my Kingkong 2205 motors (they like $8 each) and was keeping up with mates around our track with him on T60's and racekraft prorps and me on Kingking pops as well, and by no means is kingkong good but that the moment there is a good middle ground where even the banggood stuff is getting decent. 

Yeah I'd have a look at re doing that stack, just doesn't look right and agree with Hack on the Wire, go bigger for power leads. I've never like the idea of the XT60 sticking out the side.

So we finally had a decent meet over the weekend and a few great races, Was really impressed with my 3S's as won two races and the rest were very close against guys with 4S, found yes I was slower but also got into trouble a lot less. Was great weekend, and so so happy with my frame and parts as this is now the 4th fly day were I've come home with a 100% working drone (Turns out last weeks issue was temperamental as once the new ESC arrive did a hover test to see which motor was the funky one and it flew perfectly :P

IMG_3120.JPG

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

13 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Welcome man, Good build. 

Yeah Thats what you going to find, something is always going to break and with the cheaper stuff its more often. I've got some mates running those motors and they having a good time, the Hyperlights are epic, I though have little interest in upgrading my Kingkong 2205 motors (they like $8 each) and was keeping up with mates around our track with him on T60's and racekraft prorps and me on Kingking pops as well, and by no means is kingkong good but that the moment there is a good middle ground where even the banggood stuff is getting decent. 

So we finally had a decent meet over the weekend and a few great races, Was really impressed with my 3S's as won two races and the rest were very close against guys with 4S, found yes I was slower but also got into trouble a lot less. Was great weekend, and so so happy with my frame and parts as this is now the 4th fly day were I've come home with a 100% working drone (Turns out last weeks issue was temperamental as once the new ESC arrive did a hover test to see which motor was the funky one and it flew perfectly :P

Well motors aren't everything. The motors we have (like the big 2306 guys) are maxing out the batteries technology we have. That being said, my red bottoms aren't slow. My F40s are faster, but they're not slow

I've seen people on 3s keep up with those on 4s. From what I hear, the most important part of racing is flying precisely and consistently, otherwise you will crash and burn. I could never see gates very well with my old, crappy, fatsharks, but now that I have better ones, I'm interested in trying again. 

Coming home with working stuff is the best! I... did not today. Looks like I roasted an esc, but I need to pull the heatshrink off to be sure, and one of my F40s popped another fucking C clip and lost a bearing.

I see a lot of good parts on a lot of crappy frames, what's going on??? :P 

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Well motors aren't everything. The motors we have (like the big 2306 guys) are maxing out the batteries technology we have. That being said, my red bottoms aren't slow. My F40s are faster, but they're not slow

I've seen people on 3s keep up with those on 4s. From what I hear, the most important part of racing is flying precisely and consistently, otherwise you will crash and burn. I could never see gates very well with my old, crappy, fatsharks, but now that I have better ones, I'm interested in trying again. 

Coming home with working stuff is the best! I... did not today. Looks like I roasted an esc, but I need to pull the heatshrink off to be sure, and one of my F40s popped another fucking C clip and lost a bearing.

I see a lot of good parts on a lot of crappy frames, what's going on??? :P 

hahaha Yeah these guys and there damn ZMR's :P  most of the guys here are super casuals so they went for cheap and they double up the arms so they never break but man are they heavy as well. I cou;dn't wait to get away from my ZMR never liked it. but I also like more unique looking drones. why I don't like those Pencil thin X Hyperlight frames, just think they look kek. I dunno to me a drone should also look cool and have a bit of personality. Why I love my TyrantS so much. 

Red bottoms and F40's for me are still top tier, the racestar, kingkong and a few others I put tier 2, those emax Clones and such are all Tier 3 and Avoid as the wind blows a little strong and they break. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

7 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha Yeah these guys and there damn ZMR's :P  most of the guys here are super casuals so they went for cheap and they double up the arms so they never break but man are they heavy as well. I cou;dn't wait to get away from my ZMR never liked it. but I also like more unique looking drones. why I don't like those Pencil thin X Hyperlight frames, just think they look kek. I dunno to me a drone should also look cool and have a bit of personality. Why I love my TyrantS so much. 

Red bottoms and F40's for me are still top tier, the racestar, kingkong and a few others I put tier 2, those emax Clones and such are all Tier 3 and Avoid as the wind blows a little strong and they break. 

Haha. You know I have a spare mad hatter, I'll sell it to you if you're in the US. Weighs about 80 grams with hardware.

Red bottoms and F40 pros are two entirely different ball parks in terms of power and price. Through EMAX USA, they are $13 a piece for a 2205 2300. The F40 pro s $25 for 2306 2400kv. The F40 is also a shit load more powerful.

ASU

25 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Haha. You know I have a spare mad hatter, I'll sell it to you if you're in the US. Weighs about 80 grams with hardware.

Red bottoms and F40 pros are two entirely different ball parks in terms of power and price. Through EMAX USA, they are $13 a piece for a 2205 2300. The F40 pro s $25 for 2306 2400kv. The F40 is also a shit load more powerful.

New zealand :P 

And yeah they not the same class but strenght/build quality and power to me they both tier 1, yeah one is way better than the other but they both tops, compared to like my Kingkong motors. thats what I mean by tier, its like $8-12 gets you ok motors that can survive crashes and have good power, anything $15+ are pretty great motors but different in their own ways. 

Like for me I know they not the best but when I upgrade my Kingkongs I'd love the get the DYS Fire motors. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

New zealand :P 

And yeah they not the same class but strenght/build quality and power to me they both tier 1, yeah one is way better than the other but they both tops, compared to like my Kingkong motors. thats what I mean by tier, its like $8-12 gets you ok motors that can survive crashes and have good power, anything $15+ are pretty great motors but different in their own ways. 

Like for me I know they not the best but when I upgrade my Kingkongs I'd love the get the DYS Fire motors. 

the dys fires look pretty good, might swap my red bottoms for those. The dys Thor really interest me for a 6 or 7" rig.

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

the dys fires look pretty good, might swap my red bottoms for those. The dys Thor really interest me for a 6 or 7" rig.

Those thor's look awesome, Some of the guys here will get excited, they running 6" on the ZMR's. Yeah te Fire or Storm both look like very decent motors, for me I just think they Look the business, and that purple/pink color is funAF. 

at the moment my upgrading is on hold, need to buy a 4S each month and build up my collection.

Redstone:

Obsidian:

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Those thor's look awesome, Some of the guys here will get excited, they running 6" on the ZMR's. Yeah te Fire or Storm both look like very decent motors, for me I just think they Look the business, and that purple/pink color is funAF. 

at the moment my upgrading is on hold, need to buy a 4S each month and build up my collection.

Haha I feel that. I think I'll get another pack next month.

ASU

10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Haha I feel that. I think I'll get another pack next month.

we were tryingto work out at the field with the charges running off spare car batteries how many packs you would need to basically be constantly flying and figured around 6 1500 packs and a charger than can do 4 batters independently, so thats my goal is to aim for at least 4 packs and hopefully add another 2 later on. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

we were tryingto work out at the field with the charges running off spare car batteries how many packs you would need to basically be constantly flying and figured around 6 1500 packs and a charger than can do 4 batters independently, so thats my goal is to aim for at least 4 packs and hopefully add another 2 later on. 

Eh, I brought my field charging setup with me today, and my 6 wasn't enough. Remember that you need to let your packs cool off before you start charging them, so you end up waiting a while. Also if you're only charging at 2c, that can also take a while.

ASU

19 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Eh, I brought my field charging setup with me today, and my 6 wasn't enough. Remember that you need to let your packs cool off before you start charging them, so you end up waiting a while. Also if you're only charging at 2c, that can also take a while.

We don't seem to have much issue with cooling here as the batteries are coming off cold, also we don't fly them back to back its land, chat a bit, I was doing lots of prop changes as was trying different style props since the platform is now pretty solid. Old had the one flight were it was slightly warm and yeah gave it cool down as there was no spots on the chargers but for us 6 seemed good, 8 would be perfect but you are limited by the 4 ports on the charger. 

That said on props. tried 3 differnt sets this weekend,

5040 Dal Tri blades - loved these super durable and mid range performance for me, only issue is they do bend out of shape pretty easy so in one of the races clipped the ground and cause it bent the prop I was out, where other props just kept'd going. 

5036 Racekraft Twin blades - did not at all enjoy these, they just felt super soft on both 3s and 4s had to push the throttle way higher and just didn't enojy them

Kingkong 5045 Bullnose twin blades - Running these at the moment, Really really liked them, does kill by bats alot quicker but really enjoyed the bite they had in the air, going to order a bunch of different bullnose and see how they each feel between brands. but for the moment looks like bullnose twin blades are good for me, 

Wanted to try more tri blades but we crunched the numbers on my ESC's and tri-blades will be getting super close to overloading them. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

37 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Snip 

Try the DAL 5046c, that's my favorite prop overall. Gemfan 5152x2 and DAL 5050cx2 are really nice. Nicer on batteries, fast, and they feel pretty good. Rk5038 sucks. 

ASU

My VTX died. Anyone willing to send me one?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

57 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

My VTX died. Anyone willing to send me one?

haha grab the VTX03 off banggood, I've had nothing but a good time with it. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Try the DAL 5046c, that's my favorite prop overall. Gemfan 5152x2 and DAL 5050cx2 are really nice. Nicer on batteries, fast, and they feel pretty good. Rk5038 sucks. 

Heard great things on those DAL ones, been meaning to get a set for a while now. I'll check out the others as well. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

Alright well since my micro quad died, I think it's time for a 130mm build. I've kind of take a step back from.rc for a bit because i was frustrated but I'm getting interest again. I'm saving up money to do a quality build this time that I can properly have some fun with and not be on my 8th motor on after only 4 crashes. 

13 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Alright well since my micro quad died, I think it's time for a 130mm build. I've kind of take a step back from.rc for a bit because i was frustrated but I'm getting interest again. I'm saving up money to do a quality build this time that I can properly have some fun with and not be on my 8th motor on after only 4 crashes. 

hahaha let us know what you planning :) the 130-150 size I've always had an interest in, that said i'm currently loving my 210. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

18 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Heard great things on those DAL ones, been meaning to get a set for a while now. I'll check out the others as well. 

I don't think you'll be disappointed, its all Ive ran for a long time on the mini quads.  Finnaly got around to trying out the dal 5050C 2blade cyclones last night and wow are they quiet compared to the 5045T (dal triblades) although It doesn't seem as fast.

Also flying mini FPV by moonlight was a new experience as well.

28 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

I don't think you'll be disappointed, its all Ive ran for a long time on the mini quads.  Finnaly got around to trying out the dal 5050C 2blade cyclones last night and wow are they quiet compared to the 5045T (dal triblades) although It doesn't seem as fast.

Also flying mini FPV by moonlight was a new experience as well.

how did you find the twins ? I can understand less speed but how was control ? bites nicely in the corners ? 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

8 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

how did you find the twins ? I can understand less speed but how was control ? bites nicely in the corners ? 

9 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

I've recently tried and loved both the gemfan 5152 and 5050c twin bladed props. They are awesome. They don't have as much bite because they have one less blade from what you're used to, but they are quick. As you add blades to a prop, you increase how fast your quad gets up to speed, but you decrease its top speed. So you may need a good bit of space to actually feel that speed, but let me tell you. It's there. They can still do the flippity floppity, but I've found that when you're trying to accelerate out of something quickly, they lack compared to a triblade. Still like them though.

ASU

@Hackentosher I'll start looking at some tri blade's as well, mates got a set of the tri RK, as i said before just don't want to start popping ESC's yet, will def upgrade them to 30/35a ones so least I can start running those "Heavy" props 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

29 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

@Hackentosher I'll start looking at some tri blade's as well, mates got a set of the tri RK, as i said before just don't want to start popping ESC's yet, will def upgrade them to 30/35a ones so least I can start running those "Heavy" props 

20 amp should be fine on a less powerful motor. Keep in mind that most ESCs can burst 10a higher than their rating for about ten seconds. 

ASU

Is it possible to.make a heli with just using a receiver as an fc.

I kinda want.to try