Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
1 hour ago, Daysy said:

Yeah I'm in the CBD, on that group already and do keep an eye out, I'm just not sure how often I would be able to get out and fly a 5" and don't see much smaller stuff 2nd hand

fair enough, i'm heading to the city on friday for the rugby. I stay down in Gizzy. miss living in the city but man AKL is stupid expensive. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Haven't got much flying in lately as the thick smoke around here from all the fires makes it painful to be outside for any length of time.  Few flights I have gotten in have been at night by moonlight.  Which brings me to my question for anyone that is familiar with betaflight.  Is there a way to turn off the LEDs via transmitter while flying?  Seems like it would be a simple thing to do but don't see provisions for it in the gui.  Its technically not legal to fly at night here so I would rather not give away my takeoff/landing position but will still like lights while up in the air.

Picked up another vehicle last week which has had me in the garage adding (lots of) lights hard wiring in the dash cam which also takes away some of my flying time.

5BmaMlW.jpg?1

8 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

Haven't got much flying in lately as the thick smoke around here from all the fires makes it painful to be outside for any length of time.  Few flights I have gotten in have been at night by moonlight.  Which brings me to my question for anyone that is familiar with betaflight.  Is there a way to turn off the LEDs via transmitter while flying?  Seems like it would be a simple thing to do but don't see provisions for it in the gui.  Its technically not legal to fly at night here so I would rather not give away my takeoff/landing position but will still like lights while up in the air.

I think if you go under the modes tab you can assign it to an aux channel. 

ASU

Ok got my f949 and love it. Decided it's time to put fpv on it. Can I put the fpv antenna inside the foam fuselage to be more aerodynamic or will that destroy my signal. I'm using a 600mw vtx if that helps

Update: scratch that. I out a dummy system on with the same weight and it felt horrible flying. I'm just going to put on my 4g 200mw aio camera. 

I already want to get another frame for this plane and put a brushless system in it xD

12 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Ok got my f949 and love it. Decided it's time to put fpv on it. Can I put the fpv antenna inside the foam fuselage to be more aerodynamic or will that destroy my signal. I'm using a 600mw vtx if that helps

Update: scratch that. I out a dummy system on with the same weight and it felt horrible flying. I'm just going to put on my 4g 200mw aio camera. 

I already want to get another frame for this plane and put a brushless system in it xD

is it easy to fly.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

Hmm I'm.thinking about upgrading the f949 to brushless. Will a 1104 7000kv perform better than the stock motors on 1s? 

23 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Hmm I'm.thinking about upgrading the f949 to brushless. Will a 1104 7000kv perform better than the stock motors on 1s? 

Not a clue, 1104 motors are kinda a new thing, but probably? Like the RS1104 are awesome

ASU

17 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Not a clue, 1104 motors are kinda a new thing, but probably? Like the RS1104 are awesome

Well looks like I don't have much choice because the stock motor gearing just died pretty much. Yay.....

I have 2 rs1104 xD

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

Well looks like I don't have much choice because the stock motor gearing just died pretty much. Yay.....

I'm pretty much of the mindset that multirotors should have gears. 

ASU

9 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I'm pretty much of the mindset that multirotors should have gears. 

God no. Gears are horrible. They are innefficient, noisy as hell, and have horrible acceleration.

I'm thinking I'm going to need new gimbals for my Taranis soon :( Left stick is sticky, but the right one feels fine.

ASU

3 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I'm thinking I'm going to need new gimbals for my Taranis soon :( Left stick is sticky, but the right one feels fine.

Time for an upgrade to hall effect gimbals?

9 hours ago, Daysy said:

Time for an upgrade to hall effect gimbals?

Maybe soon, but for the price of a set of M9s, I could get two 4s 1300 75c r lines... So do I live with a sticky throttle, or batteries? I'm super broke right now, so I can't really get either lmao.

ASU

ok so I'm getting back into quads. There is a drone race at my school next weekend that I'm going to watch which should be amazing. I am looking into building a quad that's up to race standard rules. so I'm guessing that's 250mm? I don't know anything about racing other than me and my friends having competitions. are custom built quads welcome or do you have to use their specific quad. I'm looking at northwest fpv right now. do any of you do racing?

11 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

ok so I'm getting back into quads. There is a drone race at my school next weekend that I'm going to watch which should be amazing. I am looking into building a quad that's up to race standard rules. so I'm guessing that's 250mm? I don't know anything about racing other than me and my friends having competitions. are custom built quads welcome or do you have to use their specific quad. I'm looking at northwest fpv right now. do any of you do racing?

I don't race, but what I can tell you is that you can't expect to go to a race with minimal experience and expect to do well. You have to practice going through gates otherwise you will hit them. 

As for frame size, that doesn't really matter anymore. People can whoop your ass on 3-6", it all comes down to pilot skill.

Don't plug in until it's time for your quad to race. Otherwise you will probably blast someone out of the air with your VTX powering up and that's not a fun time for anyone. Also get a vtx that can do 25mw, as that power level works best with groups of pilots.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

I don't race, but what I can tell you is that you can't expect to go to a race with minimal experience and expect to do well. You have to practice going through gates otherwise you will hit them. 

As for frame size, that doesn't really matter anymore. People can whoop your ass on 3-6", it all comes down to pilot skill.

Don't plug in until it's time for your quad to race. Otherwise you will probably blast someone out of the air with your VTX powering up and that's not a fun time for anyone. Also get a vtx that can do 25mw, as that power level works best with groups of pilots.

ok. I'm building a quad to train on. my ideal size for my training area would be probably a 130-150mm quad. I want to get better and I have a year to do so until the next race at my school. so I don't need a 250mm quad? ok I'm going to have to get a new vtx then. mine only does 200mw. 

Just now, Legolessed said:

ok. I'm building a quad to train on. my ideal size for my training area would be probably a 130-150mm quad. I want to get better and I have a year to do so until the next race at my school. so I don't need a 250mm quad? ok I'm going to have to get a new vtx then. mine only does 200mw. 

I would strongly suggest building a quad that can swing 5" props. *ugh i can't believe I'm recommending this* Get this frame in the 4mm variant. https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-X210-210mm-3mm4mm-Carbon-Fiber-FPV-Racing-Frame-w-5V-12V-PDB-p-1069204.html?rmmds=search 

You want to train on the rig you're going to fly, otherwise you wont be consistent because you learned on something you're not racing on. F1 drivers don't pracitce in GTRs, they practice in F1 cars.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I would strongly suggest building a quad that can swing 5" props. *ugh i can't believe I'm recommending this* Get this frame in the 4mm variant. https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-X210-210mm-3mm4mm-Carbon-Fiber-FPV-Racing-Frame-w-5V-12V-PDB-p-1069204.html?rmmds=search 

You want to train on the rig you're going to fly, otherwise you wont be consistent because you learned on something you're not racing on. F1 drivers don't pracitce in GTRs, they practice in F1 cars.

ya that makes complete sense. why cant you believe your recommending that? also should I go for 2204 or 1806 motors? thank you so much!

ya that makes complete sense. why cant you believe your recommending that? also should I go for 2204 or 1806 motors? thank you so much!

Because it's a clone of a lumenier QAV X. I hate clones and they use shitty carbon, but you can't argue with the price. 1806 motors don't really have a place right now, and 2204s are on their way out. I would get these. http://pirofliprc.com/HyperLite-V2-2205-2300-Naked-Bottom_p_3456.html

ASU

6 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Because it's a clone of a lumenier QAV X. I hate clones and they use shitty carbon, but you can't argue with the price. 1806 motors don't really have a place right now, and 2204s are on their way out. I would get these. http://pirofliprc.com/HyperLite-V2-2205-2300-Naked-Bottom_p_3456.html

ok so I emailed northwest fpv and they said you can fly whatever as long as it can outut a 25mw signal. They said that the most common sizes are obviously 3,4,5" but they've had people win with tiny woops style craft and really small stuff. it makes me want to build a 3-4" the amount of mass 5" builds have kind of scares me. One of my friends just finished a 250mm quad and I have t say it looks dope but I'm wondering if something like a 3inch would be more agile. which would be more of what I want. also I already have a frame and 2 motors from my last 3 inch build so it would be a lot cheaper to make. sorry I'm so difficult.

A friend gave me a $50 gift card for hobby town USA. Oh I'm going to put this too good use. They don't have the motors I want St the Vancouver WA store but they do have esc's and flight controllers and some other stuff. Hmmm. 

A friend gave me a $50 gift card for hobby town USA. Oh I'm going to put this too good use. They don't have the motors I want St the Vancouver WA store but they do have esc's and flight controllers and some other stuff. Hmmm. 

What are you thinking about getting? Personally, I don't think it's worth it to get anything other than Spedix ESCs from piroflip because they're fucking amazing and they're super cheap.

ASU

43 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

What are you thinking about getting? Personally, I don't think it's worth it to get anything other than Spedix ESCs from piroflip because they're fucking amazing and they're super cheap.

im not sure. right now i know im going to be gettinatg a couple batteries and some spare props for the 2s tiny woop i just finished. they dont have any fc's or any 1104 motors in stock so idk what to get in terms of parts for my new build. these are some pics of the tiny woop btw.

WIN_20170923_16_39_12_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170923_16_39_19_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170923_16_39_31_Pro.jpg