Is Ryzen really all that bad?

Im looking to upgrade my old i7 3820 to the new Ryzen 1800x that just came out. However, I hear that it has issues with gaming and video production performance. Is this true, or just hog wash from people who dont know what they are talking about?

Um no that is not true at all. People are just upset that at 3.8GHz Ryzen doesn't out perform the 7700k at 4.4GHz when it comes down to gaming. But in anything that uses all the threads, then the 1700 kicks the 7700k's ass.

To still say, Ryzen is not BAD for gaming. It's just not as good as the 7700k (which is the best in the world).

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

No it's not bad, just over hyped.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

It's fine.

It doesn't beat a 7700k in gaming and doesn't beat a 6950X in rendering but it's still a great CPU for the price.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hey, I just switched to a R7 1700. Ryzen definitely is worth it. Especially for video production, if that is your thing. (I use sony vegas just for reference. I don't know what you use, so your mileage may vary). If your looking to do SLI or Crossfire, they you may also want to lean towards Ryzen. That's just my take on it. I am more than satisfied with Ryzen as of right now. Therefore, I highly recommend it.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's fine.

It doesn't beat a 7700k in gaming and doesn't beat a 6950X in rendering but it's still a great CPU for the price.

Well its certainly better than what I have now, and Id rather not pay Intel prices for a 8c 16t cpu. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

Hey, I just switched to a R7 1700. Ryzen definitely is worth it. Especially for video production, if that is your thing. (I use sony vegas just for reference. I don't know what you use, so your mileage may vary). If your looking to do SLI or Crossfire, they you may also want to lean towards Ryzen. That's just my take on it. I am more than satisfied with Ryzen as of right now. Therefore, I highly recommend it.

Would you happen to know a mb that has 3 pcie slots? x16, x16, x8? Got two 980 ti's and a 10gb nic that will be moving to new hardware.

Just now, inthebrilliantblue said:

Would you happen to know a mb that has 3 pcie slots? x16, x16, x8? Got two 980 ti's and a 10gb nic that will be moving to new hardware.

I have a Asus B350 Plus Prime Mothermoard. Unfortunately, my motherboard only has one x16 slot, another x16 slot (8x electrically) and two x4 slots. You would probably need to get a X370 board to get that configuration.

7 minutes ago, inthebrilliantblue said:

the asrock x370 taichi

1 minute ago, en1gMATIC said:

the asrock x370 taichi

Oh! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

19 minutes ago, inthebrilliantblue said:

Im looking to upgrade my old i7 3820 to the new Ryzen 1800x that just came out. However, I hear that it has issues with gaming and video production performance. Is this true, or just hog wash from people who dont know what they are talking about?

get the 1700x, 1800x not relaly worth xD

Also if you game, get intel i7...

Ryzen is pretty good cpu, but if you look for a gaming cpu... get the 7700k

Just now, inthebrilliantblue said:

anytime

Upgrading from a Core i7 3820 would not be worth it. In some cases the Core i7 3820 can be overclocked to around 5,0 GHz. When overclocked it performs similar to a Core i7 7700K.

3 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Upgrading from a Core i7 3820 would not be worth it. In some cases the Core i7 3820 can be overclocked to around 5,0 GHz. When overclocked it performs similar to a Core i7 7700K.

I doubt that A LOT. first of all, not sure average overclock is 5.0 that might be a high overclock that require good chip and extreme good cooling.

Secondly, never it will reach a 7700k performance in games even at 5 ghz.

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

I doubt that A LOT. first of all, not sure average overclock is 5.0 that might be a high overclock that require good chip and extreme good cooling.

Secondly, never it will reach a 7700k performance in games even at 5 ghz.

Don't forget the fact that the Core i7 3820 offers more PCIe lanes and more DIMM slots. Surprisingly the Core i7 3820 isn't far behind for its age. Keep in mind that neither of the CPUs in the benchmark were overclocked.

cpus.PNG

10 minutes ago, inthebrilliantblue said:

Just so you're aware, they will run at x8, x8 and x4 speeds respectively because the CPU only has 24 (20 on some) PCI e lanes. Wont affect you that much, just thought you should know :)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Don't forget the fact that the Core i7 3820 offers more PCIe lanes and more DIMM slots. Surprisingly the Core i7 3820 isn't far behind for its age. Keep in mind that neither of the CPUs in the benchmark were overclocked.

cpus.PNG

not far ? lollll the difference is huge bro !!!! why hyping so much the i7 3820 ? that cpu is not so good nowadays 

thats close to 45% performance... thats huge... for a cpu...

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3820-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/m739vs3647 

also the 7700k oc easily to 5ghz with standard cooling so...... to be honest...

This CPU is almost 5 years old. The 3820 and the 3770K are not in the same processor class. The 3820 is Sandy Bridge-E and the 3770K is just Ivy Bridge. The "E" platforms use a different socket and offer more memory slots, more PCIe lanes, and often more processing cores. (Except for the i7-3820)

43 minutes ago, inthebrilliantblue said:

It's not bad at all although the Ryzen 1700 seems to be the to get.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

37 minutes ago, inthebrilliantblue said:

I don't think there are any consumer boards with 10GBE. You would need an add in card

2 minutes ago, BachChain said:

I don't think there are any consumer boards with 10GBE. You would need an add in card

The 10gb nic is an add-in card... Intel x520-da1.

16 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

This CPU is almost 5 years old. The 3820 and the 3770K are not in the same processor class. The 3820 is Sandy Bridge-E and the 3770K is just Ivy Bridge. The "E" platforms use a different socket and offer more memory slots, more PCIe lanes, and often more processing cores. (Except for the i7-3820)

so i guess the 3820 and the 7700 are in the same class ?

Point is 3820 is FAR from the 7700 performance specially in games

13 minutes ago, smokefest said:

so i guess the 3820 and the 7700 are in the same class ?

Point is 3820 is FAR from the 7700 performance specially in games

The 3820 and the 7700 are not in the same class. But the 7700 performs much better than the 3820 is several cases.