Windows 9

Buy Windows 10 on Amazon: http://geni.us/zgNc

Windows 9 doesn't exist... officially. But it may be just what you're looking for if you aren't satisfied with Windows 10.

Windows 9.5 install blog post: 

But 8.1 is 9

8+1=9

:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

But 8.1 is 9

8+1=9

:P

. =/= +

kkkkkk

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

actually... between the clickbait, this is a really good test between 7, 8.1 embedded (which i may or may not have 5 licenses for, thanks dreamspark :D), windows 10, and the super skinned down windows 10 look like windows 7 stuff some people do.

17 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

. =/= +

Your right, it's multiply.

8.1=8

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I really wish they would have tested a standard Windows 8.1 install. 

Also I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to use Embedded 8.1 for my next install as I have a key through my MSDN subscription from work.

WRONG. This is the sorry state of LinusTechTips. Fake news. SAD!

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

That's actually pretty damn cool.. I guess when Windows 7 gets to old I could try something like this. Maybe by then it'll be even better than it is now. Very interesting.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

May I ask what the thought behind this is? (Win 9/9.5) Is it to just get Win 8.1/10 to look exactly like 7? Or were there claims that it ran better because of features and/or trimmer more efficient background OS programs? 

Basically why go through all the trouble?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@TVwazhere, they disabled several services and processes. That way, there are at least a few system resources available.

If we start making up names for windows, I'd say I am running widows x7, or 7x. I don't really like the newer versions of windows. I don't like to spend 80-90% of the time, looking for some options. I don't like having to use google to find a simple setting. I like all the main options to be in a single, or at least easy to acces, spot. (like windows XP)

I'm running windows 7, with SP1 if I am correct. Also using classic shell, but made to look like windows XP. Lots of small changes, and I've even went into regedit and service options. Cleaned it up alot, and doing some research on different processes. When doing regular computer things, my computer feels a bit faster. It just responds quicker. Fewer processes that might start up in the background, and all of that kind of things. They do add up, although they might not always show up in benchmarks. (because they might need an feature)

One of the most easy examples I can give you for a process that you might want to disable, is printer and scanner related services. I only have one digital device in my home. I do not have an printer or scanner, and I do not intent to get one anyways. If I want to share documents, I will use 3rd party programs, or "the internet". So why would I want to have "listning services" started/running. Why would I want to reserve compute power for if I connect an device like that? Windows: NO you can not start this service when I boot up. NO, I don't want the option to manually start the service. NO, I don't want a delayed startup, and NO you should not listen for a device like that.

Small but simple example of the things windows likes to do. Agreed, it isn't much of an improvement. But if you do lots of this kind of tweaks, it will add up.

At a final note on the video... I am not an expert at all. But some benchmarks got worse after the mods. This could partialy be explained by the fact that they didn't only disabled some background stuff, but that they also added new pieces of software, which weren't designed to make the computer run faster. Just to look better.

Anyone else notice a more orange tinge to Linus?

I have been running Windows 10 as lean as possible however it just seems like a pretty bloated OS (xbox services that randomly restart even though i dont own an xbox so where are those disabled services even getting a start command from?) I could see doing this however I am worried about certain games not loading or refusing to run in anything other than DX11.

Hi!   My first post here so hi to everyone! 

On the topic. I've played around, "modded", "tweaked" and whatnot everything everything from Windows 95, 98SE, ME, XP... to name a few.  (helps when you are between 4 and 10 and crash your 286 and a few years later have to learn the hard way to enable extended memory while installing windows from DOS hahaha).

Btw. Cool trick. I've had Windows 95 upgrade (from 3.11) and when doing a clean install you could trick it by pointing to a floppy disk "as your PC install" and then changing to C for install later so you would truly get a clean install)

Why I was doing all that? Because computers here in Croatia were expensive (more so thant in the rest of West Europe and of course more so than in the North America) and because All the way to Windows XP I've had my 850MB WD disk drive.    (when CDs with 650MB storage made sense before you could keep everything on the HDD). And damn. I think I still remember my Office 9x and XP CD keys haha.

You could have pulled amazing and awesome performance improvements and cut down massively on the amount of space Windows used back then. 

Why did I stop?  Because with the coming of Windows 7 it just wasn't worth it anymore. The gains and whatnot were just so little it was more of a trouble than it was worth (especially with graphic card drivers and software that could potentially really start doing problems with some "mods".  

Last thing I ever bothered to optimize was swithing from a really really light version of Windows XP to a modified Windows 7 version for my Asus Eee PC 1005HA that I had for light travel around Europe and when going on the Summer vacation (plus presentations). 

Just isn't worth it anymore.     

On the down side.  I think that people these days (younger) haven't had (since the Bloomfield came, or specifically Sandy Bridge a bit later) the need to tinker that much. The performance was just there.  Personally. For playing games and even for work (I do a lot of v-ray rendering and such) I am only now going to upgrade my 2600K with a Ryzen 1700 CPU and AM4 platform. 

Hey college students if your university is partnered with onthehub.com (some universities its called DreamSpark), you can actually get a full copy of windows embedded 8.1/8/7 industry pro,  with a full product key for free.

Please dont try to sell these keys or else your dreamspark account could get terminated   You may not transfer, sell, share, sublicense, assign, or lend keys. Key activity is monitored. Microsoft reserves the right to suspend or terminate your Subscription or access to the software, without any notice or obligation to you, if we detect suspicious activity related to keys or activations.

I don't know how you live with yourself putting out these bullshit video titles and thumbnails, you disgusting click whores.

And how long do you reckon your 'Windows 9' will last before getting reset or broken by an update? I'd say a year at most.

@Granular Agreed on crapy vids and clickbait and them strange titles. But to combat the "reset" or "broken by an update"... Disable them updates.

I like the general system improvement idea, buy why would anyone want the aero glass back? It looks so outdated now...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I'm intrigued, I'll definitely be doing this!

What is the point of all this?

Performance improvement is negligible.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.