[Experiment 2] Household products and bodily fluids used as Thermal Compound

This is the 2nd; vastly improved methodology testing round of using household things as thermal interface material. Variables have been removed and some major changes have been made, as detailed below. 

Voltage; In this round of testing, voltage was locked close to the stock voltage of this CPU [I5 3570K] at 1120 millivolts. At times this voltage rose to 1128 millivolts, as measured by a multimeter. 

Cooler; In this round, the stock Skylake cooler has been replaced by a Corsair H55, While the TIM is what we're testing, the water heating until equilibrium should be negligible, as well these tests took place back to back, so the water never cooled beyond the initial 20 heat test conducted with commercial TIM. 

IHS TIM; This CPU was delidded and had it's stock TIM replaced, for better or for worse, it now has the same TIM as was tested, Jetart Nano Diamond. This was just a paste I bought at a local store and is currently what is in use, it is competent. 

TestThis test was conducted using all 4 threads of Prime 95 small FFT, for 10 minutes, with a few minutes of before and after. This is very close to before. 

Results; Graphs have been provided of arbitrary CPU temps as read out by MSI Afterburner, as well as the Min/Max of the coolest and hottest core, on this CPU it was always the 3rd core, for both. 

Dead Components; This test did claim a victim, my [already faulty] Maximus V Formula has now been rendered very unstable but this, and will be definitely be recycled, If you want it for your wall or what ever, message me and I'll ship you the board [you pay p&p], but remember it's not really working and not repairable, I even washed it to finish the tests. 

Body Fluids Tests; NOPE, never again, I stopped after the 3rd one, not viable, I won't ever be doing them again. 

Methodology;  Methodology is simple, MSI Afterburner will be used to take a screenshot of arbitrary CPU temps, Realtemp will be used to show max core temps, and throttling. Prime95 small FFT on all 4 cores will be used to generate heat.
A Corsair H55 will be used as the cooler, with Push/Pull 120mm corsair fans, the motherboard is an ROG Maximus V Formula. The CPU is an i5 3570K at stock clocks, voltage locked at 1.12v (it's stock varies between 1.096 and 1.112). 

The RAM, Video Card, HDD and PSU are somewhat irreverent, so I won't list them. 

Test will run for 10 minutes OR until 2 cores thermal throttle together, 3 cores at any one point throttle, or the CPU permanently throttles to under 3GHz (stock turbo boost is 3.6GHz)

The test method has been massively updated and the unrealistic 1.4volt on a skylake stock cooler are gone, in favour of this set up, with temp graphs for the 10 minutes.   

Actual Results

CONTROL, Jetart Nano Diamond, Tests 1 and 2

Test one

Pass,   H=74°C,   L=27°C    Normal thermal compound passed fine, this CPU was delitted and uses this compound under the IHS. This is the control, repeated twice

Jetart Nanodiamond TIM cropped.png

Test two

Pass,   H=74°C,   L=28°C    second test was consistent with first test.

jetart test 2 cropped.png

Nothing    (no TIM)    

Pass,   H=103°C,   L=33°C    Not as bad as I thought it would be, I unpowered the pump for a moment to see if it was working, the temp rose on the hottest core from 98 to 103, it still got to 101-103 at highes.

nothing croped.png

Petroleum Jelly

Pass,    H=81°C,    L=27°C    Test was only 9 minutes, calculation error. This works well but not quite as good, but grease is sometimes part of TIM, so maybe petroleum grease is close.

Petroleum jelly cropped.png

Bleach

Pass,    H=77°C,    L=27°C    Chlorine might be a good conductor of heat in this form, but the corrosion was visible even from this just 12 minutes, do NOT use

bleach cropped.png

24 Karat gold leaf, Tests 1 and 2

Test Tne
Pass,    H=77°C,    L=32°C    *I think I selected the blend of tests for this one* This test, while not reflected in the min/max, was better than the actual TIM in test 1, this is probably because of Gold's thermal conductivity and maluability. Average score was really good

24K gold.png

Test Two

Pass,    H=91°C,    L=29°C    I suspect I selected the blend first time by mistake. Gold work hardens, I used the same sheet, so it's possible that was also a contributing factor in the poor performance.

24 Karat Gld test 2 cropped.png

Fairy Washing liquid

Pass,    H=78°C,    L=31°C    performed alright, not much to say.

Fairy Washing Up Liquid cropped.png

Lithium Axle Grease

Pass,    H=92°C,     L=32°C    slow temp rise was of concern, might not be the greatest. 

lithium axle grease cropped.png

PVA Glue

Pass,    H=78°C,    L=30°C    I bet this will be fun to clean off the CPU [it was indeed a pain]...... For this reason I wouldn't advise this.

PVA Glue cropped.png

AquaFresh Toothpaste

Pass,    H=79°C,    L=33°C    Classic one that get's quoted a lot, not actually that great it seems

Aquafresh toothpaste cropped.png

Sensodyne Strontium Toothpaste

Pass,    H=79°C,     L=28°C*    Room temperature fell substantially for a moment (I had to open a window due to glue being spill), results not affected as I waited for the room to heat back up. Visible in graph

Sensodyne Strontium toothpaste cropped.png

Baking Soda and Both Toothpasts

Fail,    H=105°C,     L=27°C    DNF. Room temperature is still a little lower. After almost 10 minutes, clocks fell to 2990MHz, after throttling to 3000-3200GHz, and did not rise after 2 updates. absolute fail. 

bakingsoda+toothpaste cropped.png

WD40

Pass,    H=103°C,    L=31°C    One single core, for less than a second, hit 103, but this is an isolated incident, the coolest core idle is also the hottest under load.

WD40 cropped.png

Thermal Pad

Fail,    H=105°C,    L=43°C    DNF. Test was attempted 3 times, each time throttling caused under 3GHz, and was instantaneous. These pads are very silicon like, more like a dry thermal pad, I'm not 100% if they are, I'll look into it.

Thermal pad cropped.png

Shaving Foam

Pass,    H=80°C,     L=29°C    what can I say, these all seem to work well...

Shaving Foam cropped.png

Bodily Fluids..... Ew

Out of three tests, two caused a CPU socket short and controlled shutdown. This result in the permanent instability at booting of this board. I actually washed it with WD40 followed by soapy water to try and remove urine and semen traces from the CPU pins, it did end up posting after fiddling, but each boot requires find the DIMM slot that actually works this time. 

Saliva

This is the only 100% and verified test. 

Pass,    H=81°C,    L=28°C    Nope, these are kinda gross, but they're only going get worse.

saliva cropped.png

Urine......

DNF,  Lose of data    urine seeped into socket pins, causing controlled shutdown, will not be reattempting

Semen

DNF, Lose of data    ew, no. Fun to get, but caused a short in the socket after becoming less viscous... Required a complete socket clean and probably bricked this board, what was left of it, and again, ew

I have been up now for close to 14 hours with this, I'm going to bed, please don't hate this too much, A hell of a lot of work, and the third test will introduce a temperature stable environment and a new CPU/Board combo, as well as different thermal interface materials to test, mostly chemicals, metals, and other stuff that I have to sign to get, maybe, it might be hard to actually test it. 

Yours faithfully

you actually tried urine. 

Wow 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

-snip-

This was a very interesting read. Good Work!

PS. I'll take the motherboard if you don't live reasonably close and its not the one that was killed by semen.

Edited by TheRandomness
Snipped quote for ease of scrolling.

Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz

CPU Cooler: EK Water Loop - Pastel White Fluid

Video/Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Single Fan (+220 core, +225 mem, manual)

PSU: Corsair RM750i Modular PSU - with Silverstone white extensions

RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (8GB x 2) @ 3000MHz

Peripherals:

• AOC 29" 1080p Monitor (2x)
  • ASUS ROG Cerberus Headset
  • Corsair K90 Keyboard
  • Corsair RGB Strafe Mouse

http://i.imgur.com/TxY11t7.gif

The last two... the test results don't surprise me, but...

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Semen, Im trying this epxperiment just for the retention of fluids.... must have been a breeze to clean

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I laughed so hard at this

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Wow 

Yes, I had ear wax, snot and faeces lined up, but no, I'm not doing it, the board isn't stable enough to actually do it I think.

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

And you know what, it was fun, except having to get a spatula to wipe it off my finger and onto the CPU, I took a photo of it if any one wants to see it... jk, but I did take the photo,

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

Semen, Im trying this epxperiment just for the retention of fluids.... must have been a breeze to clean

not really. I had to take the heatsink waterblock thing off the VRM, and littertally wash the whole socket area with a shower head and a small brush and soap. I used a 2kW heatgun to dry it off at about 120°C

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

not really. I had to take the heatsink waterblock thing off the VRM, and littertally wash the whole socket area with a shower head and a small brush and soap. I used a 2kW heatgun to dry it off at about 120°C

I dont think a heatgun is a great ideo to use on motherboards, Maybe should have let the asians do theyre job with rice.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, Julian5 said:

I dont think a heatgun is a great ideo to use on motherboards, Maybe should have let the asians do theyre job with rice.

I wanted it ready again and to ensure there was no residue left. The board is/was dead anyways. 

Yours faithfully

Someone has too much time on their hand...

I mean everything until the bodily fluids are actually useful but srly? Bodily fluids? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I mean everything until the bodily fluids are actually useful but srly? Bodily fluids? 

Science, Atleast someone on earth has tried it.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Time wasn't the only thing on my hands for the last two tests.........

Yours faithfully

20 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Wow 

I'm more concerned that he tried semen...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I'm more concerned that he tried semen...

its on your hands every now and then so why not try?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

Just now, Julian5 said:

its on your hands everyday so why not try?

*once a month, thank you very much. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Deadass don't even know why you even bothered with semen.

before it killed the board it was only 77°C on most of the cores, I don't have the results so can only go by my memory of watching it happen. 

Yours faithfully

I'm glad you did it so I didn't have to? 

Who am I kidding, I wouldn't even try any of these... lol

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

mfw the board was killed with jizz xDxDxDxD

Whoever gets that board.....my god. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

@Lord Nicoll You should try water cooling with the bodily fluids.

Ew, semen? I guess it was fun getting it LOL.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈