Ryzen has pins.... PINS!!!

I was seriously considering upgrading to Ryzen (once the reviews were out, of course) but I've just found out it has pins, you know, like my old Pentium 4... the kind that bends and makes your CPU unusable.

I'm a tad less enthusiastic now.

AMD-Ryzen-Engineering-Sample-1.jpg

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

holy shit why cant they start using lga??? is it only licensed to intel or what

Maybe it's copyrighted? I like how Intel puts their pins on the mobo.

I5 6600K @ 4.6 Gigahertz
Cryorig H7
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW @ 2 Gigahertz
16 Gigabytes of Corsair Vengence
ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S
Crucial 525 Gigabyte SSD
Hitachi 1 Terabyte Harddrive
NZXT Hue+
NZXT H440
Corsair Rmx 650 Watt Power Supply

We kinda knew this in 2016...

Where were you?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

PGA isn't that big of a deal.

1. If the pins are bent, then they're quite easy to bend back.

2. The cost of motherboards should theoretically be less, although I haven't seen any indication of this in the "leaked" prices of AM4 motherboards by ASUS and MSI.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, mrdoxxy said:

holy shit why cant they start using lga??? is it only licensed to intel or what

Harder to break + cheaper

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

4 minutes ago, normpearii said:

Really? You know how easy it is to bend the pins back with a credit card?

You just treat it as carefully as you would placing your Intel CPU into your new motherboard and you have zero problems.

You know how easy it is to mess it up real bad? There's a reason why Intel stopped using pins.

2 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

Harder to break + cheaper

exactly so they should start using lga

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

We kinda knew this in 2016...

Where were you?

Working and living my life.

7 minutes ago, killcomic said:

I was seriously considering upgrading to Ryzen (once the reviews were out, of course) but I've just found out it has pins, you know, like my old Pentium 4... the kind that bends and makes your CPU unusable.

I'm a tad less enthusiastic now.

Don't be. Pins can be repaired much easier and as long as you store them okay, or just put it in the motherboard after taking it out of the packaging then it'll be fine. Even if you bend pins its completely fixable, even on Pentiums.

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

5 minutes ago, Da OG Fish said:

Maybe it's copyrighted? I like how Intel puts their pins on the mobo.

no they aren't

AMD's Opterons have LGA sockets

1920px-Socket_G34.jpg

I've dropped a 8120 before and bent every single pin, bent them all back and it still works 4 years later.

You're seriously exaggerating something that is no more different than someone accidentally dropping their new Intel CPU into the socket and bending those tiny pins that bend much easier and having the send the motherboard back.

You take a second and carefully place the CPU in, makes no difference if it's either a LGA or PGA socket.

As far back as my knowledge goes AMD has ALWAYS used pins ON their CPU's...why would Ryzen be any different?

Edit: On their consumer lineup chips. Not including server.

Don't be. Pins can be repaired much easier and as long as you store them okay, or just put it in the motherboard after taking it out of the packaging then it'll be fine. Even if you bend pins its completely fixable, even on Pentiums.

I've fixed pins before but it's hardly a trivial thing. You can easily end up with a dead CPU.

I still have nightmares of a P3 being ripped out of a socket when I removed the HSF.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

As far back as my knowledge goes AMD has ALWAYS used pins ON their CPU's...why would Ryzen be any different?

I don't know, hoping they would at last embrace the 21st century.

2 minutes ago, killcomic said:

I've fixed pins before but it's hardly a trivial thing. You can easily end up with a dead CPU.

I still have nightmares of a P3 being ripped out of a socket when I removed the HSF.

try repairing a bent pin on a lga socket, spoiler alert is much harder and can easy break the pin

4 minutes ago, killcomic said:

I ripped a pentium (I know it's intel) chip out of its socket when it welded itself to the CPU cooler. I can still remember the grinding sound it made and my shock as I flipped the cooler over.

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

try repairing a bent pin on a lga socket, spoiler alert is much harder and can easy break the pin

But a mobo is a lot cheaper.

1 minute ago, killcomic said:

I don't know, hoping they would at last embrace the 21st century.

What do you mean? Intel's been doing the same thing for just as long. Just because intel does it differently doesn't mean they do it better. Like I said I work on computers almost every day and I have to go in and repair way more intel motherboards than I do amd cpu's because of pins.

No neither motherboards are much cheaper with/without pins.

Spoiler

30DetX3.jpg

All it takes its dropping the CPU a tiny bit above the socket. LGA is no safer than PGA.

Just don't pull a Linus and you'll be fine with either.

the pins are made of a gold alloy, one of the metals that bend the most before breaking :|

What do you mean? Intel's been doing the same thing for just as long. Just because intel does it differently doesn't mean they do it better. Like I said I work on computers almost every day and I have to go in and repair way more intel motherboards than I do amd cpu's because of pins.

But really, how many people use AMD these days?